Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Lol - I don't know why you even bothered Tiki - I just disregard bad arguments meant to provoke and provide strawmen.

You know who you are - no need to defend yourself against someone that doesn't. That's their failure.
Thanks for the kind words, neighbor.

I did respond because I do like Mr. / Ms. Snake quite a bit TBH. We differ on many things, but I really think it comes down to how it's said. When it gets down to the core, I think we both hate institutionalized abuses of power equally. It just comes out in different ways.

I wish these conversations could be had void the emotion. I understand why it gets emotional, don't get me wrong. But there are solutions to these problems. Much of it is police training, justice system reform, etc. But agitating it by running does nothing to help.

Follow models of success. Stop doing the things that continue to lead to incarceration or abusive responses, regardless if they are wrong for reacting that way. Yes sir, no sir, don't run, respect them even when they are wrong. This is how you deal with a person who has more power than you. You don't provoke them on the spot. It never ever ever ever ends well, regardless of race. This $#!* is just common sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, neighbor.

I did respond because I do like Mr. / Ms. Snake quite a bit TBH. We differ on many things, but I really think it comes down to how it's said. When it gets down to the core, I think we both hate institutionalized abuses of power equally. It just comes out in different ways.

I wish these conversations could be had void the emotion. I understand why it gets emotional, don't get me wrong. But there are solutions to these problems. Much of it is police training, justice system reform, etc. But agitating it by running does nothing to help.

Follow models of success. Stop doing the things that continue to lead to incarceration or abusive responses, regardless if they are wrong for reacting that way. Yes sir, no sir, don't run, respect them even when they are wrong. This is how you deal with a person who has more power than you. You don't provoke them on the spot. It never ever ever ever ends well, regardless of race. This $#!* is just common sense...

Exactly. As I keep saying - The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
The problem I see with people in this country who are either a part of the dominant group or affiliate in some way with the dominant group...is that they see the system that abuses others so easily as a part of themselves.

So any attack to that system...they will automatically see as an attack on the privileges they perceive themselves to gain from said system.

So naturally they will aggressively defend that flawed system to the brink of doomsday.

And they always make the impossible demand that others who are not a part of said system...make themselves and their own lives super perfect so as not to be abused by the system.

But there is no way to make oneself perfect to avoid abuse. Not in a race-tribalism society like America. Where every interaction with people in positions of authority is overly dependent on their perception of an individual and his/her characteristics beforehand.

It's humanly impossible.

All I ask is for those who truly care about humanity...to see where I am coming from. And see America's legal system for what it truly is.

And then reform it

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-15-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 12:29 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
It's bad business when the police overstep their bounds and of course they should be held to account.

That being said, I am not going to take off running if a cop pulls me over or approaches me on the street. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people are going to interpret it as an indication that I've done something illegal and am trying to escape. If I take off running, I also know that instantly increases suspicion and escalates the situation. A chase, a physical confrontation and arrest are likely.

Nobody wants to live in a police state or have cops who don't treat citizens with respect. There is probably a constitutional right to run if you choose, but hey, reality is what it is.

I've taught my kids the same thing. Just get through it with as little drama as possible and move on.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
As if you didn't do the same with Atlanta City Councilman Bottoms? You pigeonholed her with the stop-snitching culture in your thread.

So I am going to fight fire with fire. You can't have it both ways. And I won't let you.

Believe it.

You've made statements to me in the past that are consistent with those of the Libertarian ideology. And you have always made it known to me that you see abuse in both corporations and government.

And now you are all like "obey authority".

Come on man, are you serious? I pay attention to each and every word that you post to me.

Race is your blindspot, man. Especially when it comes to black people.

Until you and others like you admit to your bias in this area, nothing will ever change in this country for the better.

Nothing.
Stop snitching and running from the cops comes from the same place, a very very stupid place. A place that just needs to go away.

My political thoughts are all over the place and I am always open to new ideas. This "libertarian" is very much toying with the idea of a living wage at the moment. You can't pigeon hole me. It's such a terrible device used by the powers that be. Keeps people on teams, fighting each other while the powerful remain powerful. You should probably stop doing it.

I obey authority when it comes to the cops. I know fighting them or attempting to allude them on the spot always ends poorly. It's a terrible strategy.

I think what you think is my "blindspot" is me not agreeing your personal definitions. Still value your opinion though!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
You can't pigeon hole me. It's such a terrible device used by the powers that be. Keeps people on teams, fighting each other while the powerful remain powerful. You should probably stop doing it.
So just who exactly is the "powers that be" to you? What do the "powers that be" consist of?

What makes the "powers that be" a threat to you?

What have the "powers that be" done lately that make them such a theat to you?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 PM

A disgusting little mix of the monied elite, entrenched politicians, and government officials. While they may not hurt me directly, there are many ways they hurt other people. Be it in the concentration of wealth, the military/industrial complex, private prisons, or the evasion of justice via privilege. That list could go on forever. The powers that be is the collusion of private money and government power. It's probably why you think I'm so libertarian because I believe (know) that that power is hardest to control on the federal level.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM

OH MY LORD, I"M SO OFFENDED.

Seeing it really drive the point home how incredibly insane it is for the Coucilwoman and others to be so opposed to it. Not good when common sense is controversial.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM

So you don't think that the role of the police play any factor at all in the private prison system?

Someone does go into those private prisons, if they are lucky enough not to get killed on the way. You know that, right? And someone does put them there. You know that, right?

You don't think that people get framed by the police? You don't think that police officers will target individuals for harassment? Individuals that these Police Officers feel that society will have no use or value for?

You don't think that there are those police officers who feel so arrogant about the power of their badge that no matter what the background of the civilian, that these police officers will be on some crookery anyways?

So all these good Americans have to do is not run, obey the badge, and everything is all honky dory? It's just that simple?

Like this person?

Officer who beat man at bus stop pleads guilty, sentenced to six months jail - Baltimore Sun

Or this person?

Missouri Couple Victims Of Road Rage Assault By Off Duty US Marshal

Or this person?

https://www.facebook.com/Jamrockvybz...type=2&theater

Since none of these folks ran away from the cops, they should've been alright and okay, right?

Quote:
A disgusting little mix of the monied elite, entrenched politicians, and government officials. While they may not hurt me directly, there are many ways they hurt other people. Be it in the concentration of wealth, the military/industrial complex, private prisons, or the evasion of justice via privilege. That list could go on forever. The powers that be is the collusion of private money and government power. It's probably why you think I'm so libertarian because I believe (know) that that power is hardest to control on the federal level.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 PM

I know this is purely overkill on my part.

But here is an interesting video that shows an explicit difference between a white male carrying an AR-15 in public versus a black male carrying an AR-15 in public.

But I am pretty sure it would not matter to those who can't see beyond American-style skin-color tribalism.

https://www.facebook.com/disturbreal...type=2&theater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta