Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

99+% of all the people who have ever lived were raised in houses smaller than 1500 sq. ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yeah, let's see how much that tune changes after you actually HAVE kids.
You mean like my 22 month old daughter?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:28 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Well, it was just a question asking for advice....obviously, people have different opinions on it.

No reason to argue about it. I really don't care what the OP does. If he buys an 1100 square foot place and has 3 more kids, it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference to me.

So yes, 1500 square feet is fine for a family of 4, no problem. Buy that house.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Well, it was just a question asking for advice....obviously, people have different opinions on it.

No reason to argue about it. I really don't care what the OP does. If he buys an 1100 square foot place and has 3 more kids, it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference to me.

So yes, 1500 square feet is fine for a family of 4, no problem. Buy that house.
I honestly feel that the bedrooms in my house are larger than the bedrooms, excluding the master, of modern homes.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I honestly feel that the bedrooms in my house are larger than the bedrooms, excluding the master, of modern homes.
Yeah, I've noticed some extreme examples of this in some upscale new builds--an insanely large master bedroom with secondary bedrooms about the size of (one of) the masters' walk-in-closets.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM

41 posts, read 72,151 times
Of course you can. You can make almost anything work. My grandparents raised 6 kids in tiny little 3/1 house that I think was ~1200 sq ft. People think my husband and I are crazy when we reminisce fondly about the two of us and our cat living in ~450 sq ft, but we were so happy. It really forces you to only keep what you need and love.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Is 1500 square feet too small for a family of four in Atlanta? Could any Intown residents reveal the pros and cons?

If you want it to be too small then it will be too small, if you want it to be just righ then it will be just right.
Personally I think that is too big but that is just me and Mr. CSD, we are quite happy in smaller spaces, less clutter, less time cleaning, less separation because there are limited rooms and space to be in.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Nobody ever wished for LESS square footage.

So my take is this....if you can't afford more square footage, then definitely, you make do with what you have. If you can easily afford 2500 square feet and are trying to save money, want to be a half mile closer to something, or some other rather silly reason, you'll definitely live to regret making that tradeoff.

At least that's what I think. But it's all based on your point of comparison. Ask a Haitian earthquake survivor, and they would say you can easily fit 10 people in 1500 square feet, and it's like a palace because it has indoor plumbing and air conditioning.

But this is the United States, and it's the 21st century. Kids have lots of toys. People entertain guests. Families visit. Adolescents take 45 minute showers. Some kids need more alone time than others. If I was stuck in that close proximity to my family the entire time I was growing up, I would have been an anxious nervous wreck.

Yes, people do downsize. Yes, there's even that weird tiny house movement. But if we're talking 21st century United States, the median of our society would say that 1500 square feet is probably tighter than you wanna be for a family of four.
Part depends on layout. There are some really efficient 1500 sf houses and some really inefficient ones.

Part depends on closet space. A lot of older homes have very little.

Part depends on you and how much stuff you have.

We lived in a 1700 sf house with formals, so when you take out the living room which we didn't use much, it was more like a 1400 sf house. We did use the dining room as our regular dining area, giving us more space in the den/breakfast room. But it was an old house that had been gutted by an architect and so had very little wasted space (like hallways). We had 2 walk-in closets in a 3-2 along with a couple of other good sized closets. With two people and a cat it felt very big. With two people, a cat and a kid it was plenty comfortable. But when we got to two people, a cat and two kids it started to get tight. We had double shelved a couple of the closets and had things packed everywhere. The kids had lots of stuff. We were really ready when we moved to a larger place when the kids were elementary age.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 AM

816 posts, read 993,951 times
We are a family of 3 (1 year old daughter) and our house is 1900 square feet including the finished basement, and I feel like we're busting at the seems. Kids have ALOT of crap. and its usually bulky stuff. My wife and I will try to purge things every month, but every occasion my kid gets more crap from the grandparents and uncles and aunts (xmas, birthdays, Easter, impulse buy etc etc) If we were a family of 4-5 I would want a house around 2800-3200 sq ft.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Newer houses tend to have fairly small secondary bedrooms and giant masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: