Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
This makes no sense considering we have the bulk of MARTA infrastructure within the city limits.
Well, in arjay's defense, all of these expansion projects that are proposed to be paid for with this increase (400, Clifton, 20E) are all outside the city limits. Not saying I would necessarily vote against it, but he has a point. And hopefully they work some Beltline / Streetcar transit in as part of it. There should be enough money, especially if they get federal matching funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well, in arjay's defense, all of these expansion projects that are proposed to be paid for with this increase (400, Clifton, 20E) are all outside the city limits. Not saying I would necessarily vote against it, but he has a point. And hopefully they work some Beltline / Streetcar transit in as part of it. There should be enough money, especially if they get federal matching funds.
FWIW, part of Clifton is within the CoA.

My view is that even though most of the expansions are outside the city, CoA residents still benefit from the expansions through increased connectivity. Even more so if Beltline transit is included.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:36 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

My view is that even though most of the expansions are outside the city, CoA residents still benefit from the expansions through increased connectivity. Even more so if Beltline transit is included.
1) Provides more access to jobs in city of Atlanta;
2) Provides access to jobs outside city of Atlanta, particularly the Clifton Corridor and Alpharetta; and
3) The rest of the area has already paid for service inside the city limits.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Yes, I suppose there is one new station inside the city limits.

Quote:
Agreed. Like I said, I am not saying I would vote against it. But it is best when transportation gets paid for more directly by users. Atlanta shouldn't raise taxes to pay for a train in Athens even though it would benefit a little too.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay, I thought they were talking about an additional .5% sales tax on top of the 1% sales tax we're already paying.

As far as infrastructure I am all for it but there's a whole lot more than just public transit involved. We need to address water, the power grid, roads and bridges, ports, dams, freight, airports, you name it.
We are. The total MARTA tax, should the voters accept it, would be 1.5% - 2% on sales depending on the legislation that gets passed. You're right that we need to be looking at the whole package, but MARTA can only do so much. Let the municipalities/state deal with their own infrastructure.

Quote:
In CoA at least, a 1% "MOST" sales tax will expire in 2016. That is probably part of the calculus here. But I think that it could pass without that if it meant that all the proposed transit extensions would move forward. There is strong support for transit in Fulton / DeKalb.
This, and anything similar in the counties MUST be emphasized to the voters (barring such taxes getting renewed). If you sell the whole thing as no net increase of taxes, it'll have a much better chance of passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This might be a stupid question....

But how do you charge people half a penny on purchases?
You charge .5% on the total purchase, and then round up that last penny.

EX: for $100 w/ .5% tax = $100+($100*.005) = $100.5
for $100 w/ 1.5% tax = $100+($100*.015) = $101.5

This, of course, does not include the rest of the sales taxes in the city/county.

Quote:

Exactly.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
This makes no sense considering we have the bulk of MARTA infrastructure within the city limits.
You have a point.

I just don't want any new taxes on city of Atlanta people, especially seniors on fixed incomes.

If the millennials are for it, so be it, though I'd be interest to hear what they say 10 years down the road.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
You have a point.

I just don't want any new taxes on city of Atlanta people, especially seniors on fixed incomes.

If the millennials are for it, so be it, though I'd be interest to hear what they say 10 years down the road.
But seniors should have taken personal responsibility and planned for their low fixed incomes. /snark

Seriously, though, the CoA doesn't seem to be built around a paradise for retirement. It's a better place to live, work, and play, right now.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
You have a point.

The MOST tax will be expiring and a sales tax allows non-residents to help pay for it as well. Our property tax mill rate is being decreased as well this year.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
This City of Atlanta resident is definitely behind it. I'll be honest, I'm not going to even notice a difference paying an additional .05% at the register. I will however notice a HUGE difference in my transit options.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Considering the tax increases would only apply to MARTA funding, Streetcar/Beltline funding from this is unlikely. That is unless MARTA takes over the streetcars/light rail all together, which I wouldn't mind too much. Use the increased taxes to buy the current loop from CoA, or just hand it over to avoid double taxing (probably better).

With the whole Beltline/Streetcar transit taken over by MARTA, there are plenty of potential savings to be had. There is, firs of all, the issues of the city office specifically dedicated getting federal funds for further expansions. That can already be handled by MARTA's current staffing.

There's the ability to better coordinate reshuffling of bus lines so that they don't duplicate streetcar service where needed.

There's the possibility of directly tying the Cliffton Corridor LRT into the Beltline LRT at Linbergh Station, potentially saving on VMFs and providing better 1-seat rides. There's removing redundancy in staffing and offices therefore.

It saves money for the city, allows Beltline Inc. to concentrate on trails, affordable housing, urban farming, parks, paying back APS, etc. ,and gives MARTA a bit more legitimacy for having LRT as an option along Clifton.

A possible .5% - 1% tax increase would be the dedicated funding source that local transit needs to really expand in the core, but it will be tied up with MARTA, not Beltline Inc. or the Atlanta Streetcar. What has happened is that we've given ourselves THREE moderately cooperating, yet separate entities attemting to build out transit within the city. That, coupled with the fact that MARTA is already basically managing it all, and that the city continues to get bad press over a project it's barely had time to settle into, and I think there is the possibility that MARTA could be handed everything to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: