Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,466,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Interesting. I could swear I've seen Hispanics identified as an ethnic minority in many discussions of diversity.
Yeah, but that's not an accurate assessment of racial diversity. The US Census Bureau classifies Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic group that can be of any race or racial mixtures. You can be Hispanic and black, white, Asian, or Native American/American Intuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,544,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, but that's not an accurate assessment of racial diversity. The US Census Bureau classifies Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic group that can be of any race or racial mixtures. You can be Hispanic and black, white, Asian, or Native American/American Intuit.
I understand that but you still hear a lot of discussions about segregation involving Hispanics/Latinos as an ethnic group.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I understand that but you still hear a lot of discussions about segregation involving Hispanics/Latinos as an ethnic group.
That's only certain ones, but most Hispanic/Latinos consider racially themselves as white.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,706,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
That's only certain ones, but most Hispanic/Latinos consider racially themselves as white.
Not any I've met.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,081,479 times
Why do people think Hispanics are a race? Seriously, just ignorant. African Americans blacks are still the largest ethnic minority group in the country. Mexicans would be next.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,797,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why do people think Hispanics are a race? Seriously, just ignorant. African Americans blacks are still the largest ethnic minority group in the country. Mexicans would be next.
As I understand it, about seven years ago or so, Hispanics became the largest minority. I know that it is an ethnicity as opposed to a race. I have not gotten a satisfactory explanation of what ethnicity means, but apparently it's a box you can check on a census form that indicates you have a Spanish heritage regardless of race. I have learned thouhh that they can be way more biased than us when it comes to exactly where a person was born even without necessarily having the skin divide as an indicator. Their divide seems to be income-based and Mexico is loosing among the third world countries.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,340,092 times
Hispanic casts a large net and is an ethnic group. Being Hispanic is kind of like being American: It doesn't have a particular "look". Think about it, people from the Phillipines are Hispanic, but appear Asian, there are many Black Cubans and Dominicans I have met, people from Spain are European and I have met "White" Cubans, and many people from Mexico, Central, and South America are of mixed Native American and European heritage. All of these people fall under the umbrella of "Hispanic". Hispanic is more of a cultural thing: Colonized by Spain, Spanish language, patriarchal society, and often Catholic Christian religion.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:33 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,544,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why do people think Hispanics are a race? Seriously, just ignorant. African Americans blacks are still the largest ethnic minority group in the country.
Hispanics are an ethnic minority. Race can be a part of ethnicity but it's not the only factor.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 AM
bu2

23,873 posts, read 14,658,987 times
Quote:
Hispanics are an ethnic minority. Race can be a part of ethnicity but it's not the only factor.
Ethnic group fits all the categories better than "race." The typical African-American is 20-30% European. And Europeans ultimately came from Africa 50-60,000 years ago and have been mixing back and forth across the Mediterranean and Middle East ever since. From a genetic standpoint, there may be more genetic diversity between Africans in adjoining villages than between a person in Beijing and and one in Stockholm.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Not any I've met.
Well, the stats on the US Census Bureau website says otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta