Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,720,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I'm sure you can find an area in Metro Atlanta you will like. However, as far as being able to walk lots of places and bike for shopping, the Atlanta area does not have the infrastructure for that. Metro Atlanta is definitely much more suburban than urban, so if you really don't like suburban living, this is something you have to take into consideration and make it work for you.

Atlanta's infrastructure resembles nothing like major urban cites in the U.S. such as New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburg or Chicago, much less anything you'll find in Europe that can support biking, walking and using transit full-time as a lifestyle. Most of suburban Atlanta does not have sidewalks, are there are many areas in the city of Atlanta that lack sidewalks as well. Many of the newer subdivisions in the suburbs may have been built with sidewalks, but once you get outside of your subdivision, you have to drive everywhere to do your shipping, as there are no sidewalks or bike paths. There are bike paths here and there, but definitively not enough that are in places where you and your family can safely bike to do your shopping on a daily or weekly basis. Also, the public transit system in Atlanta is not expansive and does not cover a lot of the metro. Your job and your home both must directly be on the transit line to make it work, otherwise it is useless. If you do not strategically choose a job and home on MARTA, you will find that you will have to drive all the way to work or drive to get to the nearest bus stop or train station. Also, buses run every 30 minutes to an hour depending on where you are.

Metro Atlanta drivers are impatient and are not considerate or courteous to cyclists or pedestrians. Atlanta drivers consider them a nuisance. The state of Georgia has one on the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. Atlanta area drivers would literally rather hit pedestrians and cyclists than share the road with them or wait a few seconds for them to cross the street. Even when you have the walk light and are crossing in the crosswalk, Atlanta drives will not stop for you. They will even yell and curse at pedestrians for being in their way. With all that being said, quite frankly, Atlanta isn't safe enough to walk or bike as a lifestyle. The infrastructure doesn't support it and the drivers make it too dangerous. There are places for you to bike in nature for exercise, but being able to bike everywhere to socialize and do your shopping like in Denmark or The Netherlands, that doesn't exist in Atlanta.

Atlanta is its own thing and can't be compared to the places I mentioned above. Not saying it's bad, but it's quite different from what you may be accustomed to. The walkable areas in the city will make for along commute if your job is in Alpharetta. Atlanta and its suburbs are set up to accommodate drivers, not cyclists and pedestrians. If you work in Alpharetta, it would be best to live there, or in Roswell, Johns Creek, or Dunwoody, as traffic is bad and commutes can be long.

If you move to that part of metro Atlanta, you will have to accept that you will be living a suburban, car-centric lifestyle. You will have to drive everywhere. Atlanta is not urban in the way you are seeking.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the bolded statement. I see you live in Tx now, have you been back to Atlanta recently? There are a number of bike lanes and cycle tracks being built around the city. The Beltline is still expanding, and pedestrian and bike-oriented facilities are being built all over the city. Are we on par with much of Europe, or NYC? No, no question. But, it's not as bad as you are describing. I bike to work everyday, and have for 3 years, and I've only had 1 or 2 occasions where an Atlanta driver acted the way you describe. Starting this week, my entire commute has transformed from no bike lanes, to a mix of bike lanes and cycle tracks, and just sharrows in one portion. So, I'm going to disagree with your assessment of the bike/walk culture in Atlanta. It is thriving, and growing everyday. It is not unsafe, or I and the numerous other bicycle/pedestrian commuters I see everyday would be dead or in the hospital by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 7,191 times
Thanks a lot guys! Your time is highly appreciated...

Old 08-30-2015, 12:05 AM

6 posts, read 7,191 times
Ended up in Alpharetta , in a Townhouse... But found what I was looking for and some of ya'll suggested: midtown , e.g.Krog Street Market.

We spent 3 weeks house and PK hunting and I'm delighted to say (and don't mean to be cocky): Atlanta is a great town and I'm delighted to have the opp'ty to live here!

H

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,242 times
That's great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta