U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,558,595 times

Advertisements

"The Buckhead Council of Neighborhoods heard on May 14 plans supported by Atlanta BeltLine Inc. and the business community to run an Atlanta Streetcar line from Fort McPherson in southwest Atlanta north through Downtown and Midtown and along Peachtree Road in Buckhead up to Lenox Square mall..."

Full Story: BuckheadViewBeltLine plans streetcar line along Peachtree Road in Buckhead - BuckheadView
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM

743 posts, read 652,227 times
I really hope this isn't a priority line. With how scarce our transit dollars are in this city, it would be very foolish to dedicate so much resources to such a redundant line.

I can get behind the portion north of Arts Center, through Brookwood and connecting to Lenox. That would be a much needed line. But Fort McPherson all the way to Arts center would literately be sitting on top of Marta's Red and Gold lines. Why is this not obvious to everyone?

*Edit* I just had to post this picture from the article to go along with my argument. The black lines are existing Marta heavy rail, the yellow line is the proposed Peachtree line. Everything south of Arts Center is literally overlapping existing Marta rail.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
This is not new. They attempted to get this line funded before the existing downtown streetcar line, but the feds said no.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is not new. They attempted to get this line funded before the existing downtown streetcar line, but the feds said no.
Oh, I'm well aware. I was at a meeting almost a year ago where the Beltline people explained this, but Maria Saporta was still there howling and heckling them over not making this line more of a priority. I feel like she is spot on with many of her columns, but that night just made me lose all respect for her.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
This idea needs to be killed south of Arts Center.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM

298 posts, read 283,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Oh, I'm well aware. I was at a meeting almost a year ago where the Beltline people explained this, but Maria Saporta was still there howling and heckling them over not making this line more of a priority. I feel like she is spot on with many of her columns, but that night just made me lose all respect for her.
I hope you don't lose respect for me then after I say I agree with her and I do think this line has a lot of merit. I would like to preface that by saying I believe an east-west route, Clifton Corridor and Beltline routes should be of higher priority, but here are the advantages of the Peachtree route:

That stretch from the connector to the Buckhead MARTA station, along Peachtree, is in desperate need of connection. People cry of duplicity, but MARTA's heavy rail serves best as a "regional" transportation network. If you need to go from Midtown to Lenox, great, or Buckhead to the airport, or Decatur to Downtown, etc. It's great at connecting CBDs to one another, commuting stations, and the airport. What it will never be great for is fast, easy trips involving "short" distances. I believe a line running along Peachtree would be heavily used and encourage people who don't want to wait on long MARTA headways to use transit as a way to run to the grocery store, go to a restaurant, basically to perform small tasks they would normally use a car for. Because I believe this would be a success, it's success could be used as an example to point to when trying to gain additional funding for future expansion.

With that said, I think a complete overhaul of the bus system would be a more efficient use of resources (this is a completely different discussion), but I see the merit in a peachtree line serving as a spine for a streetcar network. I think it's serves an entirely different purpose than MARTA, I don't see it as redundant, I think it would be heavily used, and would serve a great purpose in getting future expansion.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
I hope you don't lose respect for me then after I say I agree with her and I do think this line has a lot of merit. I would like to preface that by saying I believe an east-west route, Clifton Corridor and Beltline routes should be of higher priority, but here are the advantages of the Peachtree route:

That stretch from the connector to the Buckhead MARTA station, along Peachtree, is in desperate need of connection. People cry of duplicity, but MARTA's heavy rail serves best as a "regional" transportation network. If you need to go from Midtown to Lenox, great, or Buckhead to the airport, or Decatur to Downtown, etc. It's great at connecting CBDs to one another, commuting stations, and the airport. What it will never be great for is fast, easy trips involving "short" distances. I believe a line running along Peachtree would be heavily used and encourage people who don't want to wait on long MARTA headways to use transit as a way to run to the grocery store, go to a restaurant, basically to perform small tasks they would normally use a car for. Because I believe this would be a success, it's success could be used as an example to point to when trying to gain additional funding for future expansion.

With that said, I think a complete overhaul of the bus system would be a more efficient use of resources (this is a completely different discussion), but I see the merit in a peachtree line serving as a spine for a streetcar network. I think it's serves an entirely different purpose than MARTA, I don't see it as redundant, I think it would be heavily used, and would serve a great purpose in getting future expansion.
Well, I have to agree. If we are going to be spending billions on transportation, it needs to go where the people, the jobs and the shopping are. It doesn't make much sense to run super-expensive lines out to areas that are depopulating on the hope that someday somebody may show up to ride them.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post

No respect lost, ATLJR. My beef was more with the way she was being disruptive in the meeting and just stone throwing the whole plan because the line she liked the most wasn't first. You differ from her in that regard, as you believe that the line is important, but not more of a priority than the east-west routes. She wanted it to be priority #1, which just seemed silly, since so much of it was an overlap.

I totally agree with the merit of this route north of Arts Center, running through Brookwood, the Buckhead Village, and the Lenox area. I think that would be a brilliant idea. If it were just that portion, I'd say that the priority could definitely be moved up.

Marta during the week is actually pretty great for short trips, as long as you're using it before it before 9pm. I can go one or two stops very quickly after work, during my lunch, etc. I agree that it is more difficult on the weekends, when head times are increased (The Marta app is actually great though and makes the system so much more efficient as you can plan to leave earlier/later or pick up the pace in your walk depending on when the next train is arriving). However, if the Downtown Streetcar is any indicator of future performance (Unless this Peachtree leg is given its own dedicated lane), I'm not sure that it will be quicker for getting around on short trips than Marta rail.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I have to agree. If we are going to be spending billions on transportation, it needs to go where the people, the jobs and the shopping are. It doesn't make much sense to run super-expensive lines out to areas that are depopulating on the hope that someday somebody may show up to ride them.
Arjay, most of the people who have a problem with this line, aren't against the entire line. It's just the portion south of Arts Center that doesn't make sense. Those resources would be better spent on the east side trail portion, which is one of the hottest areas in town now, or on east-west connections through Midtown, which could bridge the gap between the Westside/West-Midtown, Midtown, and the East Side neighborhoods. All of which would connect heavy residential, jobs and shopping.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Thanks, Frankster. I see that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or