Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 PM

119 posts, read 302,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I personally have no opinion on the massive demographic shifts that are occurring within the state.
Why don't you have an opinion? Are you a robot? I know your writing is usually dry and data-oriented, seemingly without human emotion, but you must have an opinion. Even a teensy, weensy one.

Quote:
Overall, whether or not people like these demographic shifts is irrelevant....That's because these demographic shifts are going to continue to occur whether people like them or not.
That is a very dismissive attitude you have towards people that actually express their feelings on this subject.
So you think people's opinions about this matter are of no importance, yet you decided to start a thread about the topic on a forum in which people routinely share their likes and dislikes about things. What exactly was your point in making this post? To get people riled up and then tell them to be quiet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
I wonder when will we stop obsessing about how many non-Hispanic whites live in a certain area?
We probably will not stop talking about the ongoing significant changes in Georgia's demographic makeup for awhile.

That's because these ongoing massive demographic changes are a major event that has many significant implications for Georgia culturally, socially and politically.

It is a major event and a major ongoing news story when an area changes from being of predominantly one demographic to being predominantly of another demographic in such a relatively very short period of time.

It is a major event that outlying suburban areas that were overwhelmingly predominantly non-Hispanic white only 15-20 years ago are now either overwhelmingly predominantly minority or seem to be in the clear process of becoming overwhelmingly predominantly minority.

These ongoing demographic changes are something that our political leaders have no choice but to be intensely concerned and observant of.

The kind of politics that might play really well with a predominantly white and conservative electorate most likely may not play all that well with an increasingly much more racially, ethnically, politically and socioeconomically diverse electorate.

Not to mention that these ongoing major demographic changes have significant effects on public policy when it comes to such issues as education, transportation, community policing, etc.

These massive demographic changes are a major event and a big news story that just simply cannot (and will not) be ignored no matter how uncomfortable some may feel when they are addressed, which will continue to be often.

These massive demographic changes directly affect how a state like Georgia functions, operates and exists in almost every aspect of daily life.

Quote:
When Metro Atlanta becomes a majority minority place (btw what a dumb term - majority minority - it literally contradicts itself) what will people talk about then? They won't have a group to demonize anymore. I doubt it will never truly cease as long as the racebaiters keep fanning the racial flames.
'Majority-minority' is basically a demographical term that means that a political geographical division (like a city, county, state, etc) has a population that where non-Hispanic whites make up a numerical minority of the population and racial and ethnic minorities make up a numerical majority of the population.

If (and when) metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia become predominantly 'majority-minority' places, people will still talk about the massive demographic change from predominantly 'majority-white' to predominantly 'majority-minority' in that has just occurred in such a relatively short period of time.

Though the talk will most likely be in different terms as it is in a state like California where non-Hispanic whites now make up only about 39% of the state's population after being as much as about 70% of the state's population before 1980....A massive demographical transition from 'majority-white' to 'majority-minority' that appears to be a situation that is similar to where the state of Georgia is heading between the years 1990 and 2030.

The massive demographical transition from predominantly 'majority-white' to predominantly 'majority-minority' has not been good for California's Republican Party which in the not-too-distant past was a dominant force in that state's political scene (particularly in the L.A. suburbs and exurbs of Southern California) in a way that is somewhat similar to the way the Republican Party is currently the dominant force in Georgia politics after a stunning rise to power for the GOP in the Atlanta suburbs that was powered by an earlier demographic shift in Georgia from a predominantly rural population to a population that was predominantly exurban and suburban.

Quote:
When the black population becomes a true majority, like in Clayton, will people complain about the lack of racial diversity in the community? Probably not. I find that interesting.
Well, its not necessarily the black population that will become the majority in the Georgia population.

Despite the somewhat misleading title to the AJC newspaper article, Georgia's massive demographic change from predominantly-white to predominantly-minority is only being powered the reversal of the early-mid 20th Century Great Migration of blacks from the South to the North.

The black population may not necessarily completely be the largest racial and/or ethnic group in Georgia after those demographic changes have completed later in the 21st Century....But the reverse-migration of the black population from the North to a Southern state like Georgia is clearly powering those demographic changes as right now it is the black population that is the largest minority group that is currently moving into the Atlanta metro region.

The black and Hispanic populations are expected to continue to grow at a high clip over the next 2 decades or so in Georgia, but, if anything, it is the Asian population (particularly the Asian Indian population) that is potentially expected to spike in coming years and decades....That is because Atlanta has become a major draw for Asian Indian immigrants in recent years.

(...India has a population of over 1.2 billion people and could lose a fraction of its population to out-migration to the U.S. and other locales....A population loss that might not necessarily be felt in India but would most likely be felt here in the U.S.)

Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
Why don't you have an opinion? Are you a robot? I know your writing is usually dry and data-oriented, seemingly without human emotion, but you must have an opinion. Even a teensy, weensy one.
I don't have an emotional opinion for better or for worse about the issue because how I feel makes no difference....These massive demographic shifts are going to occur in Georgia whether one might like them or not.

I do however have observations and/or non-emotional opinions about the issue, which as I mentioned before, I and many others find to be intensely fascinating because of significance of the event and its overwhelming impact on Georgia society.

Quote:
Overall, whether or not people like these demographic shifts is irrelevant....That's because these demographic shifts are going to continue to occur whether people like them or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
That is a very dismissive attitude you have towards people that actually express their feelings on this subject.
So you think people's opinions about this matter are of no importance, yet you decided to start a thread about the topic on a forum in which people routinely share their likes and dislikes about things. What exactly was your point in making this post? To get people riled up and then tell them to be quiet?
That statement was not intended to be dismissive towards people who express their attitudes on the subject.

That statement was intended to convey that no matter how emotional people may become about the issue of seeing their areas and the metro area and the state as a whole change from 'majority-white' to 'majority-minority' really does not matter because the demographic changes are going to occur anyways, whether people like them or not.

Even if some people get very upset and unhappy about these demographic shifts, these major shifts are going to continue to occur because they are beyond our control.

I never told anyone to be quiet and I never told anyone not to express an opinion on the issue.

I started this post because the massive demographic changes that are in progress across metro Atlanta is one of the biggest ongoing news stories in Georgia's history.

Obviously, since this is such a major event and since this is such a big ongoing news story, people are going to express their opinions on this issue.

Speaking of opinions, what is YOUR opinion on this issue?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
I don't have an emotional opinion for better or for worse about the issue because how I feel makes no difference....These massive demographic shifts are going to occur in Georgia whether one might like them or not.

I do however have observations and/or non-emotional opinions about the issue, which as I mentioned before, I and many others find to be intensely fascinating because of significance of the event and its overwhelming impact on Georgia society.

That statement was not intended to be dismissive towards people who express their attitudes on the subject.

That statement was intended to convey that no matter how emotional people may become about the issue of seeing their areas and the metro area and the state as a whole change from 'majority-white' to 'majority-minority' really does not matter because the demographic changes are going to occur anyways, whether people like them or not.

Even if some people get very upset and unhappy about these demographic shifts, these major shifts are going to continue to occur because they are beyond our control.

I never told anyone to be quiet and I never told anyone not to express an opinion on the issue.

I started this post because the massive demographic changes that are in progress across metro Atlanta is one of the biggest ongoing news stories in Georgia's history.

Obviously, since this is such a major event and since this is such a big ongoing news story, people are going to express their opinions on this issue.

Speaking of opinions, what is YOUR opinion on this issue?
Touche!

You were definitely not the one being rude here.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Rock Springs Baptist (that bought the old Clayton Community building on Reynolds Road in Morrow) is also a long time Clayton County congregation (They had been in Forest Park for decades prier to moving to Reynolds Road when Clayton Community moved to join their Henry County mission on Jodeco Road) They are a very diverse congregation as well. The people I know at this and other Clayton churches are fairly/very conservative. Maybe not in the political sense. I have lived in Clayton County my entire life (multiple decades) I do not remember there ever being a thriving Republican primary in this county. We used to joke that the people who moved to Henry or Fayette must have automatically changed their political affiliation.
I moved to the area from Warner Robins with my parents in '86.It was very much Democratic but as you know many of the Democrats became Republican.

It was made clear to the few blacks that were going to that church that the bible forbids interracial dating,I was told that by my friend then that is now Pastor of Community Bible Church.Good guy but when we were young this is what he told me.Since when does God stop us fom loving outside ourr race?This is why Im real hestitant about getting involved in any church in Clayton although you say theyve changed

Last edited by afonega1; 05-24-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
I've got to congratulate all the people on this thread for keeping it civil. These sorts of things on the internet tend to degenerate.

What's happening in Georgia is happening across the country. Although its more the Hispanics and Asians elsewhere. The % of the US population that is African-American has been fairly stable. Georgia is growing in all 3 groups. 50% of the kids in public schools nationwide are minority, with Hispanics the largest group among the minorities.

Rockdale and Gwinnett will be interesting to see if they keep their schools good. Clayton's problem was that they didn't. That lead not just to whites dropping as a %, but actually leaving in large numbers.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
So, Metro Atlanta is like all black now. Like totally black.
I know you're joking, but hey, it's all pink inside anyway! No offense!

Since there is only one race (human), demographics of this sort anymore is akin to eugenics. Again, no offense.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've got to congratulate all the people on this thread for keeping it civil. These sorts of things on the internet tend to degenerate.

What's happening in Georgia is happening across the country. Although its more the Hispanics and Asians elsewhere. The % of the US population that is African-American has been fairly stable. Georgia is growing in all 3 groups. 50% of the kids in public schools nationwide are minority, with Hispanics the largest group among the minorities.

Rockdale and Gwinnett will be interesting to see if they keep their schools good. Clayton's problem was that they didn't. That lead not just to whites dropping as a %, but actually leaving in large numbers.
It's ALL about the schools. EVERYTHING -- property values, crime, economic (retail) vitality, the health of neighborhoods, and the rate at which demographics change -- depends upon the schools.

Make no mistake -- had Clayton County's school system not imploded as it did 12 years ago, it would not be the complicated place it is today and many more "non-Hispanic whites" would still live there.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
I know you're joking, but hey, it's all pink inside anyway! No offense!

Since there is only one race (human), demographics of this sort anymore is akin to eugenics. Again, no offense.
Um, why all the "no offenses?"

Old 05-24-2015, 11:08 PM

114 posts, read 112,262 times
Quote:
'Majority-minority' is basically a demographical term that means that a political geographical division (like a city, county, state, etc) has a population that where non-Hispanic whites make up a numerical minority of the population and racial and ethnic minorities make up a numerical majority of the population.

If (and when) metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia become predominantly 'majority-minority' places, people will still talk about the massive demographic change from predominantly 'majority-white' to predominantly 'majority-minority' in that has just occurred in such a relatively short period of time.
Well my criticism of the term "majority-minority" has more to do with the fact that the term itself will become more and more obsolete going into the future. Currently "white" people are the majority ethnic group in the United States but the percentage is dropping. Some day in the future the "white" group will no longer be the dominate ethnicity in America and will technically be a "minority" group. On a smaller scale, the same thing is happening in Metro Atlanta, but when it finally happens (whites becoming a minority) I would wager that people will still use the term "majority minority" to describe the phenomenon when in fact there is nothing "minority" about it at all. It will just simply be a "majority". I've occasionally wondered when "whites" become a true minority group, will they be called as such and treated as such by society?

Last edited by fermie125; 05-24-2015 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta