Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:11 AM

787 posts, read 969,101 times

Advertisements

The reason is simple, most white folk don't want to live around a lot of black people no matter how good/bad the schools/areas are plain & simple. This will never change, it's 2015 and we are still seeing white flight in some suburbs now. Heck I don't mind, Georgia is one of the few places where blacks have very nice areas to stay compared to other cities and states. I love staying in SW Atlanta, my wife and I stay on Fairburn rd near Cascade and we've never had an issue.

Last edited by Larry X; 05-26-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And then you have Langston Hughes, which has a campus as nice as Milton, Alpharetta or Johns Creek and is surrounded by real estate nearly as exclusive (Chattahochee Hills). Yet nearly the entire student body is made up of poor black kids bused down from apartment complexes in Union City.
Where do the local kids who are districted to Langston Hughes go to school?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are many white families living in the Chattahoochee Hills area of South Fulton but you will be hard pressed to find ONE white child enrolled in a public school down there. It is simply not an option.

If someone can please explain to me why majority black schools have to be so horrible, I'd really like to hear it.
They are 12 white students at Palmetto Elementary.

The main issue is poverty. The middle class parents send their children to private schools so instead of having diversity in income population, you have an overwhelming population of poor/transient students who usually have deficients that are missed or neglected in the support services needed to help them.

Same issues that impact the schools in the Sandy Springs area. Upper middle class whites don't want to send their children to school with the apartment kids and the results are most of the elementary schools in the Sandy Spring area are terrible compared to the income of the area.

Let's be real though. Chattahoochee Hills has 2400-2600 people. Palmetto has about the same, give or take. Union City is almost 10 times bigger so no matter what, whites would be in the minority.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Upper middle class whites don't want to send their children to school with the apartment kids and the results are most of the elementary schools in the Sandy Spring area are terrible compared to the income of the area.
You have to wonder if anybody has thought about the long term impact of all this gung-ho apartment building of the last few years. Historically apartments in Atlanta have not fared well over time.

What will happen to the schools once the millennials age out in a few years? And if the schools aren't good, that has a huge ripple effect.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You have to wonder if anybody has thought about the long term impact of all this gung-ho apartment building of the last few years. Historically apartments in Atlanta have not fared well over time.

What will happen to the schools once the millennials age out in a few years? And if the schools aren't good, that has a huge ripple effect.
Which is the exact reason why Fayette County has so little rental property, and why the schools are so good. It's amazing how simple this all is ... And yet people still post threads like this asking "why?"

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
To me it's a culturally weakened and scared black middle class that's too afraid to buck the powers-that-be that is preventing real education reform. All reaction and no proaction.

All these Black Board of Education members and black superintendents in this country...and not one of these integrated scaredy cats got the imagination, the independence, and the guts...to fight for and adopt an alternative model of educating our children.

The black middle class is tissue paper-weak right now. Content with merely having a job, a house, a car, and flossin'.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
The reason is simple, most white folk don't want to live around a lot of black people no matter how good/bad the schools/areas are plain & simple. This will never change, it's 2015 and we are still seeing white flight in some suburbs now. Heck I don't mind, Georgia is one of the few places where blacks have very nice areas to stay compared to other cities and states. I love staying in SW Atlanta, my wife and I stay on Fairburn rd near Cascade and we've never had an issue.
I would love to see some statistics on where "most white folk" want to live. I live in East Point (predominately black) and have lots of white neighbors on my street and in my neighborhood. I'm not sure anyone can effectively speak for most people on most subjects, but I like to think it's the other way around. Most people in this day and age don't care what color their neighbors are.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

All these Black Board of Education members and black superintendents in this country...and not one of these integrated scaredy cats got the imagination, the independence, and the guts...to fight for and adopt an alternative model of educating our children.

That would actually require them to give a crap about more than their jobs/salaries.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
That's not always true, look at Forest Park's Demographics

Black alone - 6,808 (36.9%)
Hispanic - 6,343 (34.3%)
White alone - 3,555 (19.2%)
Asian alone - 1,448 (7.8%)
Two or more races - 250 (1.4%)
Other race alone - 34 (0.2%)
American Indian alone - 23 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 7 (0.04%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Forest...#ixzz3bGwmxOwW

Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
How can Clayton be diverse with some of the same problems Fulton and Dekalb have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta