Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times

Advertisements

I'd love to see the intersection of DeKalb and Krog become a pedestrian scramble, so walkers and bikers can easily get from the north side of DeKalb to the east side of Krog without having to wait for ages at that long light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I'd love to see the intersection of DeKalb and Krog become a pedestrian scramble, so walkers and bikers can easily get from the north side of DeKalb to the east side of Krog without having to wait for ages at that long light.
That would be the perfect solution and from what I heard at one meeting, it is a consideration.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Actually, based on this illustration of the Krog/DeKalb intersection in the bid documents, it looks like I might be getting my wish.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, based on this illustration of the Krog/DeKalb intersection in the bid documents, it looks like I might be getting my wish.
From the pavement markings, it looks like you are correct.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
From the pavement markings, it looks like you are correct.
Yeah, now I'm getting excited for this thing. The Eastside trail is nice but this is just going to make walking in my neighborhood 100x better.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
It is not the best practical option because of the huge cost for little gain. This project went thru the LPA and EIR studies, then people much smarter than you and me studied it and decided that option is not worth the cost, just like there will not be a tunnel for the streetcar.
I've repeatedly conceded that the selected route is the best practical option. Again, you seem to view anything that isn't unabashedly pro-beltline as an inferior position. This route has pretty clear drawbacks. Trying to explain away the faults won't make it any less of a cluster fluffle come spring of 2017. Perfect can't be the enemy of "good enough". This is probably "good enough" but it's going to be frustrating for many users.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I've repeatedly conceded that the selected route is the best practical option. Again, you seem to view anything that isn't unabashedly pro-beltline as an inferior position. This route has pretty clear drawbacks. Trying to explain away the faults won't make it any less of a cluster fluffle come spring of 2017.
You indicated your desire for a new tunnel, and I think we'd all agree that would be nice, and others pointed out that it's impractical because of cost, which you already knew. So what's the problem?

Your worry about the 90º crossings of Krog and DeKalb won't be a concern if they build the diagonal crossings it appears we found, above.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I've repeatedly conceded that the selected route is the best practical option. Again, you seem to view anything that isn't unabashedly pro-beltline as an inferior position. This route has pretty clear drawbacks. Trying to explain away the faults won't make it any less of a cluster fluffle come spring of 2017.
Hell I would like for the Downtown Connector to be gone, but that it's practical so there is no point in talking about it. I won't have to explain anything because I have always taken the tunnel, because bikes do not belong on sidewalks.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:51 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
... then people much smarter than you and me studied it and decided that option is not worth the cost, just like there will not be a tunnel for the streetcar.
Who are these mighty gurus, who know more about things than the citizens actually living in a city and paying the bills?

Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
You are right, signs to be put up at the Krog / DeKalb intersection:

Those hundreds of pages of design documents are impressive. Really shows that it is not "just a sidewalk". I would prefer to have been riding on the finished path yesterday, but glad they are taking the time to do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta