Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Fire the drivers and train new ones. Give incentive to get these people to work and not be LAZY and unmotivated to get up and do the job they are PAID to do.
Ant,

Be careful which arguments you choose to make sometimes.

I think you lack some experience at management.

It was pretty bad and even damning that they broke regulations and did not hire the right drivers. That is a big problem that comes with inexperience and the learning curve involved of doing something for the first time.

Beyond that, things like what you just wrote in this statement can not be done with the drop of a hat once the original problem came to light. All those things take time and the issue with the street car drivers just came to light not long ago. They might need to train some drivers to be licensed properly first and then train driver's on this system. To further complicate it, they will have to do the training with a shortage of proper driver's.

This means the drivers have little time for parts of the training that are not merely... watch me work or you do this while I watch.

To further complicate this, they need to find the right individuals to hire that will be a good fit, be around for awhile, and not rush it. I'm sure some clever people are starting to realize when you hire someone you invest into them and training and licensing and the time it takes is not free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They are looking at newer, better technology that will allow people to pay with a smartphone or something other than a BreezeCard, yet will allow for transfers. What is wrong with wanting to look at newer, better technology?
B/c you're not bringing in the promised revenue you said would be coming in.

Hundreds, if not thousands of rail systems in the world using this so-called 'new technology' and they can't pick one?

This is why the Metro doesn't trust the city and doesn't want them to have control over their transportation decisions.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM

96 posts, read 95,264 times
The title of this thread is false. Even the opinion article you posted says that two cars were running Saturday, Sunday, and Monday afternoon and evening. They were operating on a holiday schedule.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
B/c you're not bringing in the promised revenue you said would be coming in.

Hundreds, if not thousands of rail systems in the world using this so-called 'new technology' and they can't pick one?

This is why the Metro doesn't trust the city and doesn't want them to have control over their transportation decisions.
Show me one transportation system in the US that uses this technology? We have very different standards and heavily regulation from FTA on transportation things

Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Show me one transportation system in the US that uses this technology? We have very different standards and heavily regulation from FTA on transportation things
MBTA.com > Information on Fares and Gifts

This is old technology, you've got delta.com app, stubhub, nfl ticket exchange, ticketmaster, etc. etc. It's not like there's some new amazing technology needed. It's you pay, you get a barcode of something, maybe your rfid, then something that scans it, does a database fetch and a approves or not. Pretty f'n simple.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Atlanta Streetcar/BeltLine is proposing using mobile payment similiar to what is Jeursalem. It would be like a RFID recoginzing your phone and making the payment that way.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Atlanta Streetcar/BeltLine is proposing using mobile payment similiar to what is Jeursalem. It would be like a RFID recoginzing your phone and making the payment that way.
You mean exactly like that thing called apple pay or google wallet. Yeah, that's years away from being a reality.

https://www.google.com/wallet/
https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
You mean exactly like that thing called apple pay or google wallet. Yeah, that's years away from being a reality.

There real is more to it than just using apple pay. Trust me, I actually code for this stuff. There is much more industry specific tracking, alternate methods of payment, etc. All of that needs to be programmed into a POS type of thing that can be used by a driver, on a vehicle, on the fly. The hardware technology isn't quite there yet. And there is still a ton of programming that is site specific that would need to be done, with the right hardware in place.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:

I'd say a year away. They have already basically said that is the payment system they are going with for the streetcar.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
There real is more to it than just using apple pay. Trust me, I actually code for this stuff. There is much more industry specific tracking, alternate methods of payment, etc. All of that needs to be programmed into a POS type of thing that can be used by a driver, on a vehicle, on the fly. The hardware technology isn't quite there yet. And there is still a ton of programming that is site specific that would need to be done, with the right hardware in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I'd say a year away. They have already basically said that is the payment system they are going with for the streetcar.
There is no hardware technology needed. It's already there. There's no need for a one off development for this.

Even if there was, give me 3 Indians and I could have this thing written in 3 months. The street car opened on 12/30.

I also write code for a living and have also written phone apps, REST services, DB backend development, etc. Considering I can book a flight on my phone, on the sidewalk, outside Hartsfield, check in with any carrier, walk through TSA security and then board a plane, and fly across the world without anything but my phone and a passport, I"m sure this could be done by now.

I'm guessing a Reed contractor kick back is somewhere going to popup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: