Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
But it also sounds like if nothing was changed but the condo/apartment distinction, they'd be fine with it. Same building proposal, same builders, same layouts . . .different revenue model, and it'd be all good. Maybe thats not the case.

Right - I agree wit this. And I think they are missing the forest for the trees if that's the case.

If they think owner occupied can't go bad - they need to look at Falling Waters Townhomes in Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Don't Fear the Renter - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
In a clear-headed essay that reads like the antithesis to some Cobb County residents' anti-millennial stance, longtime Atlanta architect and Brookhaven resident Jack Honderd takes to task the idea that new apartments are hurtful to established neighborhoods. Pointing to Harvard studies and his own experience, Honderd addresses the link between rental complexes and such hot topics as traffic, property values and crime, relaying that multiple studies have found "no connection between crime and housing density" and noting "the influx of apartment renters increases local street and retail activity, confirming the popularity of Brookhaven and making it known and attractive to a wider group of metro-Atlantans." It helps that all apartments proposed for Brookhaven are condo-quality and expensive, as Honderd acknowledges, but aren't they all rather nice and pricey these days?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster
Gwinnett > Cobb
This. Cobb County has always struck me as stodgy and sleepy for a county in a fast-growing metropolitan area. Gwinnett County seems to have more action and ambiance. Speaking in general terms, I see Cobb County gradually becoming the "grumpy old people" area of metro Atlanta, and Gwinnett County becoming the "melting pot/American Dream" area.
Agreed. Cobb's unwillingness to open up to others is going to hurt them in the long run.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
There are apartment buildings in areas of Atlanta that have been around for close to a hundred years and these areas have continued to flourish despite the transient nature of the residents. The issue isn't apartments, the issue is that certain areas fall out of favor for a variety of reasons. There are plenty of blighted and currently declining areas that primarily consists of single family homes and by blaming apartment communities people are ignoring, and refusing to confront, the real, underlying issues.
The difference between the apartments of yesteryear and today are the sheer size of them. Most of the apartment buildings in Atlanta contained less than 10 apartments and were integrated into the neighborhood. Now, most large complexes contain 300+ apartments. You're bringing in a huge amount of people that can change the dynamic of an entire area.

However, I agree this complex won't change the dynamics of this area. It is already dominated by large complexes and office buildings. However, most planners will agree that zoning huge amounts of apartments into one area isn't ideal. A mix of zoning is ideal. As I said, there are already dozens upon dozens of apartment complexes in the area. I don't see it as a problem to think seriously about adding yet another one. Even if the complex was denied, I don't see the correlation as to Cobb being anti-millenial. Hell, I'm a millenial living in an apartment complex.

Do I think that Cobb often puts their head in the sand and pretend it isn't 2015? Absolutely. However, to jump to the conclusion that they do not want anyone under 35 moving to their county is asinine. It's sensationalism at its best. Get a grip on reality folks.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Millennial Discrimination?
Give me a break. Curbed is fast becoming the Buzzfeed of real estate/development websites.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Give me a break. Curbed is fast becoming the Buzzfeed of real estate/development websites.
They are a content aggregator. I don't think they are claiming to be anything else. They use headlines to outside content they know will generate clicks.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM

298 posts, read 373,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
The difference between the apartments of yesteryear and today are the sheer size of them. Most of the apartment buildings in Atlanta contained less than 10 apartments and were integrated into the neighborhood. Now, most large complexes contain 300+ apartments. You're bringing in a huge amount of people that can change the dynamic of an entire area.
Plenty of the apartments were larger than 10 units, but there is no reason to harp on this. The many things people negatively associate with apartments, specifically in this thread, can be said about single family homes. You're right, apartments are more dense than single family homes, and that can't be argued, but to act as if Cobb doesn't haphazardly hand out 300+ home development permits all over the county would be dishonest. These quickly change areas as well, but I have a feeling many people living in Cobb wouldn't see this as a negative. My point is the people have incorrect negative associates about apartments and often attribute an areas failings to the introduction of apartments, as opposed to the failings of the area in general due to a variety of factors.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Do I think that Cobb often puts their head in the sand and pretend it isn't 2015? Absolutely. However, to jump to the conclusion that they do not want anyone under 35 moving to their county is asinine. It's sensationalism at its best. Get a grip on reality folks.
No, I don't think Cobb officials spend their time thinking "how can we keep out millennials", but there is obviously some group of people they don't want moving to Cobb. They think they are better than the lower class and can solve the problems they associate with them by not building rental units and transit. They are willing to turn off some desirable residents just to avoid risking "undesirables" moving there.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM

272 posts, read 271,836 times
Racism is strong in Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:29 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Racism is strong in Atlanta.
Yep. So is sexism, homophobia, ageism, anti-semitism, heightism, obesityism, baldism, linguicism, name-ism, and now we get to add millennialism.

I swear this generation is knee deep into the wussification of America. Mods should change the name of this board to "VICTIMS ANONYMOUS."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta