Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times

Advertisements

Not just air pollution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 08:59 AM

246 posts, read 315,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Airplanes drop an enormous amount of air pollution and at airports it is concentrated and spread into surrounding neighborhoods. People may not be as concerned as with noise pollution because noise pollution they hear happening, the sound is annoying everyday. You won't notice air pollution on a daily basis, but over time it can lead to chronic diseases. If you live next to a highway (or an airport) you are at a much higher risk for asthma (children) and other lung problems if exposed over the long term. This is why atlanta has air pollution advisory days - it's the exhaust throwing particulate matter into the atmosphere, from a combination of cars, factories, and the airport.
That was what I was afraid of and suspected would probably get worse around here over time. Apparently it's not just lung issues to be concerned with, this study shows a link between air pollution and susceptibility to Type 2 diabetes:

Living on Earth: Air Pollution and Diabetes

Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Not just air pollution...
Seriously, nobody has anything to say about all of this trash dumped near the airport.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Seriously, nobody has anything to say about all of this trash dumped near the airport.
I couldn't open your link. Was this a photo?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 PM

Ok. Here it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about air pollution - ATL airport-trash.png  

Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Illegal dumping in the old Mountain View area has been an issue for decades. Perhaps if this new "airport city" idea gains traction, it will alleviate it some what.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Airplanes drop an enormous amount of air pollution and at airports it is concentrated and spread into surrounding neighborhoods. People may not be as concerned as with noise pollution because noise pollution they hear happening, the sound is annoying everyday. You won't notice air pollution on a daily basis, but over time it can lead to chronic diseases. If you live next to a highway (or an airport) you are at a much higher risk for asthma (children) and other lung problems if exposed over the long term. This is why atlanta has air pollution advisory days - it's the exhaust throwing particulate matter into the atmosphere, from a combination of cars, factories, and the airport.

For more information, visit Emory's Rollins School of Public Health Environmental Health department website. Faculty there do a lot of research on air pollution and chronic disease risk for different age groups in Atlanta. I believe Dr. Barry Ryan specifically did research on the impact of airports on the health of nearby residents, but the study was conducted in Boston. You need funding to conduct these studies, and as somebody else mentioned, airports are high revenue, not a place local government wants a reason to tighten regulations. I believe residents around Logan asked for the study.
This is the reason the areas around the airport are what some consider 'undesirable' and the airport is located on the southside.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Grew up in the Forest Park area (south side of Forest Park; City of Morrow, really) so we had few direct effects of Hartsfield-Jackson. The north side of Forest Park and Conley, that it a different story. I remember eating at my in law's home off of Conley Road really close to Atlanta City Limits. Every time a plane flew over the entire house shook (I can literally remember plates and silverware josling on the table!) The funny thing was that they had lived there so long that no one seemed to notice! They went along with their meal and conversations as if nothing was amiss! My mother in law often said the most shocking reminder right after the 911 tragedy to her was the "eerie quiet" when the airport was shut down for days afterward. My father in law is definitely a "company man" being a long time employee at Delta and states that the airport noise simply, "Sounded like money" to him. That said, the number one reason given me by residents who leave Forest Park's north side is, "airplane noise." The illegal dump areas in old Mountain View are a direct result of noise abatement activities from the 1970's that cleared out that entire town!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM

The noise is quite noticeable to me also around Old National Highway and Camp Creek area, parts of Riverdale, and also Hapeville right before the Clayton Co line. In fact, you can sit down at the Wendy's in Hapeville and count the planes coming in, I swear a minute a part sometimes (usually SouthWest Airlines). Even worse, though, is military base planes. When those things fly over buzzing the trees, it is heart attack inducing.

It's sad that we all can't live in harmony with our airports. I guess we are all just lucky that half these cities around here are still standing. Years ago, part of historic College Park was almost mowed down to expand runway. Pretty good article (dated 2005), by the way, about CP development under Chris Jones and the story behind his subsequent firing. This link below has nothing to do with air pollution--sorry for the tangent.

Burned By Success

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
I really think the important thing here is not just "living next to an airport" but living on a flight path. You don't want to do that.

I live near the airport, but not on a flight-path - so I really am not bothered by airplane noise, or anyone dropping fuel on my house.

basically - living to the East or West of the airport is not recommended per this map - but living north or south of it, about the only time you will have airplanes by your house is when they are holding due to weather - and even then they are flying relatively high.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/airpo...posureMap.aspx

Matter of fact I think I experienced more airport noise living in Vinings from Dobbins than I do down here in East Point. especially when we were running up to the various wars we are currently in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta