Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,243 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I will be moving from NY to Atlanta in a few months, as I recently accepted a job there. We are very excited about the move, but neither of us is from the area and we don't know many people there, so are a bit lost as to where to start looking in terms of apartments - a lot of the complexes we have found look nice but have terrible reviews, so we'd love some guidance. We have gotten a few ideas from reading through old posts, but I thought it would be helpful to post info about our specific situation.

Since we are new to the area, we would like to rent to see if we like Atlanta. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment and our budget is $1500/month (though of course we would prefer to pay less!). We are in our early 30s, and do not have children currently, though would like to in the next year or so. We would prefer easy access to restaurants and some shopping, but don't need to be near crazy nightlife or anything. Access to public transportation is nice, but not a requirement. We have two small cats, so apartment must be pet-friendly. My office is on the southern border of Dunwoody. My husband is still looking for a position. We have mainly been looking at complexes in Dunwoody and Vinings, since those areas seem nice, but are certainly open to other options.

If anyone could suggest apartment buildings that are safe and well-maintained (or let us know about buildings that have bad reputations or other things to avoid), we would greatly appreciate your help and guidance!

Please let me know if more information would be helpful. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
I like Vinings, but I think you'd probably prefer living in Dunwoody around around Perimeter Mall. I realize public transit is not an issue, but if for some reason your husband found a job say nearr the airport (way south of Dunwoody), then having the option of taking the train would definitely be a plus.

I used Promove when I moved from Kennesaw to Midtown. It's a free service. Just tell them you may want to live along Ashford-Dunwoody Rd or Perimeter Center. I find the area flat and quite walkable with lots of restaurants, shopping, and at least one grocery store - Walmart Supercenter.
The only complex that comes to mind right now is Gables Metrobpolitan. I like it, but you could probably make a better choice if given enough options in the area.

Vinings would be fine although it is quite hilly and lack public transit, but the traffic is ridiculously heave just for the short distance you''d be traveling to Dunwoody. Top that off with not knowing where your hustband will be working and it sounds a whole lot more feasible to live in Dunwoody or even Sandy Sprigs for that matter for easier access to more areas.

It is a good idea to rent before buying so you can get a lay of land. Since you are planning to have children, East Cobb may be a good place to consider when you buy. I realize that's unsolicited advice, but it will not be far from Dunwoody.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:43 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
If you can find something in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, I would save yourself a commute.

However, if you still want to try Vinings there are several very new apartment complexes starting with:

Bell Vinings
Bell Vinings Atlanta, GA

Walton Riverwood
Walton Riverwood | Apartments in Atlanta, GA

Overton Rise
Overton Rise Apartments | 1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Apartment Homes

Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Thanks for your help! Promove sounds like it will be a huge help. If anyone has other suggestions for buildings in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, I would love to hear about them! Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
NYtoATL, when you say your office is on the southern border of Dunwoody, do you know the street or complex? That would help some.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Oh, great question - my office is on a street called Perimeter Park Drive. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta