Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,512,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Yeah, I understand. "Like Greenwich Village" is the cliche always used to describe any city's 'cool, hip, young, up and coming, artsy' neighborhood. Despite the fact that the actual village was that about 50 years ago and is now mainly a playland for ultra-rich older hip people and not home to many music venues, artsy things etc., because it is too expensive.

The comparison is accurate in terms of the ideal and zeitgeist of the place (-50 years) however the difference is that greenwich village is huge, 120+ square blocks of very dense urban architecture, whereas L5p is like 5 urban shopping blocks with almost suburban houses behind. So it's pretty darn different. Nicer to live in perhaps, but also more boring and underwhelming.

The Haight-Ashbury comparison is much better as that is also a place that's smaller and you can actually have a house near there.

The main differences though that I notice between L5P & both the Haight and the Village is

a. those latter 2 places are FULL of gay people openly kissing and walking hand in hand, I haven't seen this much in Atlanta! Is there some kind of prejudice there? I found the races pretty mixed in Atlanta and progressive, but not so sure about the gay scene being mixed with straight..

b. Constant smell of marijuana and lots of questionable/homeless people in the latter 2 places, don't see that much in L5P either, which is good I guess, though not sure what it says about the liberalness of ATL.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THESE PLACES?!?!?!? I AM BORED OUT OF MY MIND! i WENT TO MIDTOWN TODAY HEARD THAT WAS THE PLACE TO BE. NO ONE WAS OUT AND ABOUT IT JUST DEAD? WHERE DO THE PEOPLE HANG OUT AT? MAYBE I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO NOR DO I HAVE ANYONE REALLY SHOWING ME AROUND. I THOUGHY MEETING PEOPLE HERE WOULD BE EASY..THIS IS IRRITATING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 PM

18 posts, read 41,855 times
Default relocating from st. louis to atlanta ga

where is the best place to live in atlanta with children and a spouse, and a area thats diverse with good school districts. is the job market for someone in human resources good there? also where is the best hospital to work as a registered nurse?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,764 times
I've made a decision to go back home to Detroit. Atlanta is a wonderful place once you get used to it( I been here for 2 years). I live in a very prominent and gorgeous area (Alpharetta) however, there's no place like home.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,507,919 times
For a little while the first year we were here (working on year 2) I would say the only other place I'd move to from Atlanta would be my homestate of NJ. After one winter here I no longer feel that way. Unfortunately for spouses job we move every 3 years...................this time I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming!!! I love it here!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 39,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
For a little while the first year we were here (working on year 2) I would say the only other place I'd move to from Atlanta would be my homestate of NJ. After one winter here I no longer feel that way. Unfortunately for spouses job we move every 3 years...................this time I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming!!! I love it here!

What area are you currently living in? I'm relocating from NJ, and have been visiting Atlanta monthly for the past year.
I love what I see so far (mostly Alpharetta area).
Obviously since I'm only there on the weekends, I haven't yet tasted the traffic scene.
But traffic is traffic. We have that in the Northeast too.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,507,919 times
We live in East Cobb. Chosen for the schools and also the commute for my spouse. We followed the advice of many and found a place within 10 miles of employment. East Cobb reminds me os suburban NJ as there are tons of amenities and access to a big city and all it offers. Where we live there are many transplants but the locals are very friendly and helpful.

Good luck! The weather here is awesome!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,196 times
Default Relocated from Washington DC

I moved here a year and half ago and I love Atlanta. Midtown is fabulous and the green space here is much larger than Washington. I lived in Dupont Circle in Washington and now I live in Midtown/VA Highlands near Piedmont Park. I come to NYC frequently and I can honestly say that the restaurant scene in Atlanta would rival any metropolitan city. I am also in Real Estate as an agent and you can purchase a 2 bedroom/2 bath with 2 car garage parking for well under $400.000 in a new developer building with all of the bells and whistles. There are programs in Atlanta where you can buy a 1 bedroom that retails for $210,000 for $145,000 most agents do not know all of the details and the amount of money that Atlanta will give to Home Buyer's to encourage home ownership.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM

340 posts, read 1,572,655 times
[quote=Shelby Patrick;3830491] There are programs in Atlanta where you can buy a 1 bedroom that retails for $210,000 for $145,000 most agents do not know all of the details and the amount of money that Atlanta will give to Home Buyer's to encourage home ownership.
[ QUOTE]
I think the buyer is still obligaded to pay the developer the full amount within 50 years and there is a low income restriction.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

7 posts, read 38,320 times
Thumbs down It sucks.

It just sucks all the way around. Period.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Default Atlanta Native!

I understand this is an older post, but if anyone is still looking to move to Atlanta I would like to give you some insight. Mostly everything Atlatnagreg said is true. Around 15 years ago Atlanta was half the size it is now population wise. That being said, Atlanta is still a great place to live. We host many festivals weekly both intown and in the suburbs. I would suggest East Cobb/North Fulton. Those seem to be the places to live as of now. Very safe areas with great school districts. I enjoy living in Atlanta, as I always have. People for the most part are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta