U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:10 AM

244 posts, read 118,505 times

Advertisements

Moved from upstate/Greenville area SC almost a year ago. The metro area is wayyyy more advanced then any city in SC. GA taxes suck seems like i pay way more in sales taxes ect then i did in SC. The Traffic really effects how you go about daily life pretty much trapped in Gwinnett during the weekdays when I am off. Overall I'm liking it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,059,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
"Five Points, Manhattan" on @Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_P...an?wprov=sfti1

You are talking about "5 Pointz."

"5 Pointz" on @Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Pointz?wprov=sfti1
Ok.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 AM

5 posts, read 14,009 times
Wow.... I'm moving Miami,but I hope to apply for the first few months. I have heard stories of people leaving Miami and they have to come right back. Thanks for your information. I'm not leaving until I secure a job first. I will visit between November & December; then make the move between Jan & March.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 14,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique_Sheso View Post
Well i have a totally different perspective. Perhaps i moved here too swiftly. I relocated here in May with about 10,000. at my disposal. I rented a home, which i actually did prior to arriving only to find that was not well kept which leaves me stuck with a mess of a home for 1 year. I began applying for jobs two months prior with no real promise which was probably major problem to come #1. I was able to land a summer camp job in Decatur where i received my 2nd rude awakening. The kids were overly violent, the staff looked left and seemed to be more concerned with maintaining friendships with parents than maintaining safety for the unsuspecting parents dropping their kids off to what they though would be a fun filled day of organized play. I survived the summer mind you making 9.00 an hour mind you not working more than 25 hrs a week, completing at least 10-12 applications a day to places that i was qualified for as well as over qualified for. Did i mention that in 4 months, i got 1 call back, one referral for an interview which didn't pan out because they decided to stop the position, and the current interview at the school i work at now. Yes imagine that. I have a bachelors and masters but from what i read and heard doesn't matter that much because ATL is who you know not what you know..different from my experience in South Florida where im native to. I currently have a job but dont sound off the bell just yet, im bullied everyday by the boss who also hired me at a posted online rate but decided to let me know 1 week in, ill be making 14,000 less, but with the same responsibilities. My kids started daycare and due to their 4 year old behaviors, not following directions and listening they've been threatened to be removed from the school. I feel that with all certainty Atlanta has not been welcoming. And yes i take full responsibility for poor planning but ive never lived in such a place. And i cant wait to move the hell away. I am one month close to probably having my first eviction after 10 years of renting and about to start from square one again. My advice for anyone looking to come here, have a job and pray that the work culture doesn't add to all the other let downs that Atlanta has to offer. There is no way that i can ever consider pursuing my PHD here. I know several people here, two of which found success but have family here while the others have degrees and work menial jobs like Mc Donalds and Kroger just to get by. I like in Dekalb by the way and i apply as far north as Marietta and Smyrna; just in case a pro ATLien wants to talk about the area i chose to live in and that being the reason why i haven't had much success. In addition i have been networking my ass off through people that know folks and that hasn't gotten me any further then the let down of a we chose a different candidate email, i received plenty of those.

Wow.... I'm moving Miami,but I hope to apply for the first few months. I have heard stories of people leaving Miami and they have to come right back. Thanks for your information. I'm not leaving until I secure a job first. I will visit between November & December; then make the move between Jan & March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or