U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,250,672 times

Advertisements

It seems that just about any city of a certain size and age is going to have a 5 points.

Just like it seems every state has a town called Independence. And there are so many versions of Lafayette it makes my head spin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM

72 posts, read 231,637 times
what used to be all the great things about Atlanta arent so great anymore!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM

857 posts, read 4,380,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
[color=Indigo] I'm 61 and my husband is 55 we don't have the option to retire but even if we did, we wouldn't. We are bored to death in St. Pete FL which isn't that far from Sun City. We are planning to move back to Atlanta, having met and lived there 20 years ago. We love it and we love NY and would go back there but I have some mobility issues so the quantity of snow is a problem. ]
Have you spent much time here lately? Things were much different 20 years ago than they are now. I loved it here even ten years ago. Before you go making any permanent plans I would recommend spending some time here, and watch the news every night, before you make up your mind. you will probably find that it isn't the same city that you once enjoyed.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 132,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Distance from the I285/I75 junction to the I285/I85 fjunction is 15.8 miles according to Google Maps.
15.8 miles... I had no idea. And I thought I was just moving fast because I was speeding (in good traffic, of course).

Come to think of it, I *have* done that run that fast. But not with anyone else around...

Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,950,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridean View Post
This is for anyone that has moved to Atlanta from another city.
Surely.

Quote:
How do you like the city overall compared to where you are from?
The city? I like the Atlanta metro area for the most part, though comparing it to when I'm from is a dangerous sport. Atlanta does well for itself in most respects, I think. For my opinions of the city itself, see below.

Quote:
I am in NY, and I know there are a lot of comparisons to NY.
I don't know why. Atlanta and NYC are opposites in many ways.

Quote:
Do you go to the city of Atlanta? Is it clean? Fun?
I've been downtown perhaps 5-6 times in total since we moved down here over three years ago: twice to do touristy stuff with relatives, and most of the other times for specific entertainment.

Clean? Perhaps, but they need to sweep those panhandlers somewhere. I learned to watch my wallet when in the underground. Fun? Sure, I guess. I wouldn't know, though. I don't really do downtown, just like I didn't do downtown in our former metro-of-residence. No point when the things we do/like/want are out in the burbs.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM

351 posts, read 1,276,203 times
The longer I live in Atlanta the more I like it. Inside the i285 it is becoming more like a grown up international city with good resturants, nightlife and great job expansion in the professions. There are quality older character homes availiable and soon with the beltline and expanded marta etc it will be more walkable. I however would never live in the suburbs which to me are too sterile.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,504,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
I've been here for almost 16 months, and have hated it for the last 15 months. It all depends on where you're coming from though. For me, coming from Florida, I found Atlanta to be boring, cold (both literally and figuratively), rude, racist fast-paced, and stressful. The ocean is hundreds of miles away. The leisure travel is very expensive (especially if you like to travel internationally). Everyone seems materialistic, but I guess there's nothing else to do but shop on the weekends... especially during this disgusting weather.

I can't wait to leave here. The end is finally in sight.
Where do you live in Atlanta?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM

23 posts, read 124,143 times
I agree about the suburbs being sterile.

It's so strange that a lot of people down there don't go into downtown that much, where as here in nY, most of us suburbanites go into "the city" ( manhattan) often.

Two different apples I guess.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,170,727 times
Quote:

It's so strange that a lot of people down there don't go into downtown that much, where as here in nY, most of us suburbanites go into "the city" ( manhattan) often.

Really? "Most" suburbanites? I lived in central NJ for 25 years, and other than for work-related trips into NYC, I went into "the city" a total of 4 times. I know many people who never went in. Same here in the Atlanta metro- many folks I've met out in the "sterile" suburbs (what's "sterile" about them- The fact that there's no human feces at the front door, like there was at the building I went to in downtown this morning???) don't go into downtown except to go to an event at the Dome or a game at Turner Field- neither of which I'd consider "going downtown".

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,642,273 times
Quote:

That's because "downtown" NYC is vibrant and has a lot going on. You could spend weeks there and not do it all. We have the Aquarium, a Coke museum, and a rotting Underground mall downtown, along with a couple hundred guys asking you for money as they pee on the sidewalk. There simply isn't anything to DO downtown here unless there's a special event going on.

If you expand it to the Midtown and Buckhead areas, people in the burbs can be found coming into town a little more often to the shops and restaurants there. I do agree though that 80% of the time, people in the burbs here seem content just sticking to the local strip shopping centers with the chain stores and restaurants for most of their needs and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or