U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,239,213 times

Advertisements

I've never found human feces at my front door...I HAVE found doggy poops on the sidewalk...but only sometimes. Most people pick up after their pets.

I don't think sterile's the right word, though. Maybe boring. Or uninspired. Unhealthy, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM

2,684 posts, read 4,242,792 times
I got out after being there for 20 years. I echo the sentiments of many in here who say Atlanta is not the same place it once was. In the early to mid 90's I swore up and down that I would be in Atlanta for the rest of my life, I loved it that much. But from the point of the '96 olympics forward, that town turned into a sprawling, urban mess. Places I used to love to visit to get away on the outskirts of town all were devoured by subdivisions, strip malls and more roads. Atlantas traffic has become so bad that it literally degrades ones quality of life, and I'm not just talking about in the city. I used to live up in Cherokee County, and before I moved it would take me nearly 30 minutes some mornings just to get to the freeway that takes you into Atlanta because of all the people that have moved up there. That is an insane way to live. Try going to a decent restaurant during peak evening hours......good luck! Hope you like waiting an hour for a table!

The airport in also an embarrassment. Atlanta loves to toot its horn as "The worlds busiest airport"! Theres nothing to be proud of when it takes you 30 minutes just to park and make your way into the terminal. The airport itself is a zoo. When its suggested to the Atlanta city officials that a 2nd airport (like all other big cities have) on the north side would be beneficial to the town, they cry racism because the airport is in a heavily black area. That is typical of the Atlanta city government.

Also, someone from New Orleans mentioned how Atlanta has lower crime.......which tells you all you need to know about how bad the crime is in New Orleans. Atlanta has always been one of the most dangerous cities in America. As I said, I lived in Detroit also, and Atlanta's crime is worse, I don't care what the "statistics" say. Both inner cities have serious issues obviously, but Atlanta has 10 times the suburban crime problem that Detroit does. I lived it, so I know it. I worry about my family back down there quite often, especially my little nephews. I wish they could move up here to rural Michigan with me, where we don't have to worry about any of that junk.

Progress may be beautiful to some, but in Atlantas case, it was the worst thing that ever happend, IMO.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

If you lived in Cherokee County (or Gwinnett and many others) you did not and do not live in Atlanta. You live in the suburbs of Atlanta.

The two places are two different worlds and far away from each other in regards to just about everything.

Sprawl is not in the city. Traffic isn't that bad in the city. Overdevelopment isn't happening...in the city.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
If you lived in Cherokee County (or Gwinnett and many others) you did not and do not live in Atlanta. You live in the suburbs of Atlanta.

The two places are two different worlds and far away from each other in regards to just about everything.

Sprawl is not in the city. Traffic isn't that bad in the city. Overdevelopment isn't happening...in the city.
Let's not simplify the issue here to a "here vs there" debate. While "sprawl" obviously can't happen in the city because there's no place for it to "sprawl" to (other than the suburbs, of course), I wouldn't go so far as to say that traffic isn't "that bad" (it took me over 15 minutes to get from exit 249 to 247 yesterday at 3pm), and I definitely wouldn't say that there's no overdevelopment. Last I checked there were quite a few condo towers going up that have been having a hard time selling units lately, which qualifies as "overdevelopment"......

Let's also bear in mind that "the city of Atlanta" relies as much as the folks living in the burbs as those folks rely on the city of Atlanta. Inner-city urban pioneering, where "crime isn't bad- it's mostly just smash-and-grabs when no one's home" and "there's a few schools that are starting to do well- they've got parenting groups that are deeply involved in making sure the schools do well" isn't for everyone- especially when such conditions require you to drop $300k for a 50 y/o 2 br bungalow that needs updating.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM

2,684 posts, read 4,242,792 times
I also lived off of Akers Mill, and in Buckhead, Vinings, and Austell during my 20 years in Georgia. I agree that living the city itself is much different from the suburbs for the most part, but no sprawl or traffic? Take a look at a picture of the downtown Atlanta and Buckhead skylines 20 years ago, and then take a look at them today. Just because it's all happening within the city limits doesn't mean it isn't sprawl......space is still being consumed. I would also offer that when one lives in a particular area of town, and has family or friends in another area and you spend a good amount of time traveling to be with each other, that this certainly qualifies as living your life in the "city" as you put it, no matter if you're driving from Buckhead to Woodstock, or vice versa.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM

It's just that when people start listing what they don't like about Atlanta they're not usually talking about the city and it starts to get annoying.

As for traffic...I don't get on the interstate and I don't find traffic to ever be that bad on the surface streets, espcially if I can walk. Most of the time when people talk about bad traffic they're talking about the interstate.

For people coming here to learn about Atlanta I think they need to understand the difference in the city and the burbs.

And not ALL inner city neighborhoods are urban pioneer. Many, such as mine, are fully gentrified. Urban pioneering is where you can still get a deal on a house.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM

That's not sprawl! That's going UP, not out. I don't have a problem with that.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,904,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridean View Post
I agree about the suburbs being sterile.
What does that phrase mean, exactly?

Quote:
It's so strange that a lot of people down there don't go into downtown that much, where as here in nY, most of us suburbanites go into "the city" ( manhattan) often.
What does the city offer besides certain forms of entertainment (theatre, sports events, touristy stuff)?

My wife and I simply don't do that sort of thing most of the time -- the suburbs have their very own business centers, grocery stores, movie theaters, gas stations, bars, clubs, places of worship, and other amenities these days, ya know.

Quote:
Two different apples I guess.
Indeed. I've never understood the need to be in crowded noisy areas where one can't even see the sky because of the tall buildings.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Oh, you can see plenty of sky - the skyline's not THAT impressive. And...there's usually more trees in an Atlanta neighborhood than there is in the burbs.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Now, it IS noiser in the city - more sirens from firetrucks and the MARTA and the deisel passes two streets behind my house. And on Bike Nite at the Vortex the bikers, usually from the burbs, like to ROAR through my neighborhood - probably because it's a pleasant ride rather than take Ponce to Moreland.

But, I can sit out on my porch and hear birds and crickets just about any time of the day. On my walk to work today the birds were out singing like crazy.

And we do have smog in the city...that's bad, I agree. We need to make a move towards cleaner energy sources.

And I guess crowded is a matter of opinion. Sure, some people don't like that their house is separated from their neighbor's by the driveway the two households share...but I personally love it. I love I can look outside my window and see all the human and pet activity. I like how I can sit out on my porch and know that I will see lots of my neighbors walking their dogs and kids to the park, or walking to Fellini's for dinner, and stop to chat on the way. But I get it that THAT city quality is neither good nor bad - just a personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or