U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM

387 posts, read 1,419,457 times

Advertisements

I live intown, right where Buckhead meets Vinings.

It all depends on where you're coming from and at what point in life you're in.

Being in my early-mid 20s, I think it was a poor choice to come to Atlanta from Florida. Now, if you're coming from... the Midwest, or the N.E., then I'm sure you'll enjoy Atlanta's weather, trees, and relatively cheap CoL.

As for me, I'm bored here most of the time and especially during the winter. And yes, there is a winter here, albeit mild for some. Most of the kids my age stick to their "own kind". And don't even get me started on the wealthy kids who actually grew up here. It's odd being in a place that is so self-segregated. It seems like in Florida, everything was more laid back. From the work environment to race relations. There's definitely a "Good ol' boys club" still very prevalent here. It's not my thing, nor is it any reflection of my up-bringing, so I really don't understand it - and this is coming from a white girl.

I also touched on materialism here, mostly I see it in people my age and a little older (~early 30s). Again, not my thing. I was never, ever bored on a Saturday afternoon in Florida. In Atlanta, you spend a ton of money... because most people my age go out at night (bars), and shopping during the weekends. Really, what else is there to do? There's no real "downtown", and how many times can you see the same shops in VaHi?

The traffic IS really as bad as everyone claims. I had a friend visit from Seattle (another city with notably "bad traffic") and she was astonished at the gridlock here. Or, as she said "It seems everywhere. In all directions. Everywhere you look, and at anytime of day". To which I agreed.

Obviously there is no water anywhere near Atlanta - especially intown. I desperately miss being able to hop in the car and make it to the beach in 40 minutes or less. And I never realized how much I took that for granted.

I'm not saying that people should choose FL to live over Atlanta (and yes, Atlanta is way different from other places in Georgia). It's just my honest opinion on a place I should have never moved to. But for me, I'll feel a whole lot better when I get back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,145,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

So, people should not live in or move to Atlanta if they don't like trees or don't want to have to deal with them in their yard. It comes with the territory. Kansas City, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, etc. would love to have more people.
Who said I didn't love trees? I'm just enjoying not having to clean up from them for a while. If I didn't want trees, I'd live in NYC, or I would have stayed in Las Vegas.

Why are so many issues so "black" or "white" around here (no pun intended)???

Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,245,454 times
Don't worry, I understand where you're coming from. We have the tiniest plot of land you can imagine. The end of my front yard is about 20 feet from my house and my back yard is only big enough to fit 4 cars in, like sardines. Note, we dont' have 4 cars but we do park our 2 cars back there and from that I can tell we could fit them in AGAIN. And we have NO side yards (that whole driveway separating the houses thing).

Doesn't matter. Every fall we put out >100 bags of lawn debris.

But, I do love the nice cool shade in the summer....

I haven't mowed a lawn since I moved here! The shade keeps it from growing. So, I planted a shade garden that takes up most of my yard!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,929,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why are so many issues so "black" or "white" around here (no pun intended)???
Fence-sitter!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,500,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post

Being in my early-mid 20s, I think it was a poor choice to come to Atlanta from Florida. Now, if you're coming from... the Midwest, or the N.E., then I'm sure you'll enjoy Atlanta's weather, trees, and relatively cheap CoL.

As for me, I'm bored here most of the time and especially during the winter. And yes, there is a winter here, albeit mild for some. Most of the kids my age stick to their "own kind". And don't even get me started on the wealthy kids who actually grew up here. It's odd being in a place that is so self-segregated. It seems like in Florida, everything was more laid back. From the work environment to race relations. There's definitely a "Good ol' boys club" still very prevalent here. It's not my thing, nor is it any reflection of my up-bringing, so I really don't understand it - and this is coming from a white girl.

I also touched on materialism here, mostly I see it in people my age and a little older (~early 30s). Again, not my thing. I was never, ever bored on a Saturday afternoon in Florida. In Atlanta, you spend a ton of money... because most people my age go out at night (bars), and shopping during the weekends. Really, what else is there to do? There's no real "downtown", and how many times can you see the same shops in VaHi?

The traffic IS really as bad as everyone claims. I had a friend visit from Seattle (another city with notably "bad traffic") and she was astonished at the gridlock here. Or, as she said "It seems everywhere. In all directions. Everywhere you look, and at anytime of day". To which I agreed.

Obviously there is no water anywhere near Atlanta - especially intown. I desperately miss being able to hop in the car and make it to the beach in 40 minutes or less. And I never realized how much I took that for granted.

I'm not saying that people should choose FL to live over Atlanta (and yes, Atlanta is way different from other places in Georgia). It's just my honest opinion on a place I should have never moved to. But for me, I'll feel a whole lot better when I get back home.
I can understand how you would miss the beach, as the lack of waterfront is one of Atlanta's negative points. However, I must say that you chose to live in a pretty dull area for a person in their 20s. Of course it's very materialistic living between Buckhead and Vinings. If you were to move to Bellevue, WA, you would think that all of Seattle was materialistic as well. Needless to say, you picked an area to live in that is in the middle of Douchebag Central, with $30K millionaires, Buckhead trust fund kids, and materalistic people. If you would've moved to the Little 5 Points, East Atlanta, Decatur, or Inman Park areas, your experience would've been vastly different here.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM

206 posts, read 470,016 times
Default Totally different atmosphere!

Please,Please,Please,Please do your research on Georgia before moving here or you will be very sorry. Location is one of the main things to look at, ride around the area in which you decide to move before you make a final decision. We thought we were striking it rich with our neighborhood in East Point,GA, only to find out we had might as well been in Atlanta around the Federal Prison a very dangerous area. It has not been a walk in the park for us. Thank GOD we don't have long now, before our nightmare on ELM STREET is over.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM

south to west. I enjoy those areas, though I think they're pretty small and the "bar scene" loses its appeal after so many times in the same place. However, I don't think I could deal with the work commute from those places. Honestly, I'd probably have unbearable road rage driving to and from "around" the Perimeter Mall area everyday.

The "materialistic" part is just something I've seen from the people I've met... granted, yes, most of them are Buckhead kids who went to private schools, college, etc and have since moved back to Atlanta. It's retarded and funny, but definitely not the main reason I dislike it here. You find those people anywhere, I'm not dumb, I understand that.

Everytime I've posted something "negative" about Atlanta, I've always prefaced it by saying ... "of course, it all depends on where you're moving FROM to begin with". I think someone from Florida would also find Atlanta somewhat fast-paced and stressful, where someone from DC or NYC would laugh at that. It's all relative.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM

527 posts, read 1,656,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post

Funny...I found South Florida boring! I don't care for beaches and I dont care for clubs and bars. There is nothing else to do in South Florida for someone in their twenties. I think Atlanta has a lot more to offer and as far as people being materlistic, you must not have come from South Florida.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,247,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I don't care for beaches and I dont care for clubs and bars. There is nothing else to do in South Florida for someone in their twenties.
In your opinion, what is there to do in Atlanta for someone in their 20s? I would just like to hear your opinion as someone who considered Atlanta in the past from South FL. I promise I won't snap .

All I could really find was that shopping there was a big pastime, and I got the impression that people in Atlanta kind of came from elsewhere to live the "dream lifestyle" that they couldn't afford where they used to live. At least thats what I got out of numerous 1-2 week stints and spending a month there. People seemed every bit as materialistic as South FL, although definitely more friendly. I try not to talk about cities that I haven't lived in but I have spent a lot of time around Atlanta and was never impressed. I think if the club scene is South Florida's youth obsession, material possession is Atlanta's obsession. Just my opinion.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Not from South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or