U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM

362 posts, read 292,419 times

Advertisements

Here is footage of the incident. You can see that the APD handled this beautifully. This idiot was so desperate for attention and was trying to force a confrontation so bad and APD didn't bite one bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnFWOaJGD4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:13 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,010,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
How on earth does a jerk like this get a license to carry a weapon like that?

Categorically, I have no objection to guns, but it seems that idiots like this do the gun toting community a lot of harm--just proving that there is no place for guns in the hands of the general public.

Americans might be hardened to the presence of guns and the daily litany of deaths which they cause, but people from other countries just look at us in horror and disgust when they see something so retrograde. What was this guy possibly thinking?
What license is required for this weapon? It is not a handgun, nor is it a controlled classification of weapon since it is not full auto or a restricted caliber.

I have no judgement against this guy carrying a firearm in public. I question his choice of weapon for the occasion and wonder why he feels unsafe in an airport, but it is his right and I support everyone's right to appear foolish.

I dont really understand the statement you made about the "litany of deaths which they cause". How does a firearm cause a death? The weapon itself just lays inert until a person acts upon it to cause the discharge of the projectile. The firearm cannot aim itself, nor can it activate it's own trigger or otherwise cause a bullet to be delivered to a target.

I think it would be good if Americans (and everyone else) was comfortable in the presence of firearms and possessed the knowledge and temperament to safely handle them. I think anyone squeemish at the mere sight of a weapon is as silly as the person who cannot tolerate dirt on their hands or is incapable of hearing a curse word without becoming hysterical. I understand that there are those with phobias or obsessive compulsions that react badly to banal scenarios, and I am not addressing those persons. I am only addressing those that have excessive reactions to everyday situations in the absence of a bona fide mental condition.

Imagine if everyone in an airport ran screaming because someone pulled a pocket knife out of their trousers or if someone drew a baseball bat out of a dufflebag. Both of these objects kill more people per year than rifles and likely injure almost as many as handguns, but they are for some reason not considered killer items instilling panic in people at their mere presence. They also require a third party to enact their violence just a firearm does.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,480,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If he was arrested then it is illegal, but the police have every right to question a man walking around the world's busiest airport carrying an assault rifle.
Am I reading this phrase right? People get arrested all the time for things that aren't illegal. Just being arrested does not mean you have done something illegal.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,535,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Here is footage of the incident. You can see that the APD handled this beautifully. This idiot was so desperate for attention and was trying to force a confrontation so bad and APD didn't bite one bit.

Smh

Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,381,247 times
This guy does no one any favors. I support the police harassing him to the legal limit. Gun owners everywhere should hate this man.

Sometimes stupid just needs some sense knocked into them.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,995,682 times
Quote:

The APD handled this incident as reasonably well as they could have been expected to, given the situation and the law. They allowed him to exercise what he believed were his constitutional rights (whether that applies here is debatable, but in the middle of a situation is the time for action, not debate) while keeping a close eye, just in case. Well done.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:44 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,480,463 times
These folks sometimes travel in packs. Kudos to the APD for sticking to this guy like stink on $h!+. For all anyone knew, there could have been 20 other similarly armed nutjobs with him waiting in the wings to start some trouble.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,059 times
These gun folks are so worried about Obama and the United Nations taking their guns away....that they ignore the real danger of corporations replacing their government on an international scale...and multinational companies based in China being able to sell lead-tainted baby food and not be held accountable to any state or local government.

And mind you, Obama has not signed any laws taking guns away and America isn't even subjected to the jurisdiction of an International Criminal Court.

However, there is a bill on Obama's desk that once signed...will take away America's sovereignty and essentially put it in the hands of multinational corporations. Some of whom could be based in Communist China.

And no one is saying a word on it. Not even the so-called freedom/sovereign-minded conservatives.

I just don't get it.

Is America the true twilight zone?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-03-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 12:49 PM

378 posts, read 309,112 times
Quote:
If he had ended up going on a shooting spree, y'all would of been in here first thing demanding to know what the hell the police are doing. So it is quite laughable that someone is saying it was wrong for the APD to question this sack of turds multiple times and follow him around to keep tabs on him.

I don't know you, I don't know your intentions and as such seeing random strangers waltzing around with guns in plain view sets off alarms and puts everyone on edge. I wonder if this could be combated by appealing to an intimidation angle; In some jurisdictions intimidation is a criminal offense typically defined as

If he had gone on a shooting spree, I would criticize the LAW that allows him to bring his rifle into the airport. I would talk major sh** about the state of Georgia and its gun-happy residents.
I wouldn't blame the police for not stopping someone who is legally carrying a weapon. But once the man starts shooting, I'd sure as heck expect them to take him down. Fast!

As for seeing random strangers waltzing around with guns in plain view... Honey, where I live, I see that quite often! It doesn't put me on edge or anyone around me. And the area I live in has very low crime. Plenty guns, but not many shootings over here.

For the record, I'm not anti-gun, I'm not pro-gun. I'm sure this guy just wanted to make a statement and be an arse.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 PM

378 posts, read 309,112 times
And the article doesn't mention that this guy was actually the one harassing APD. Well, he wanted attention and he got it. aaand that's pretty much it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta