Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM

25 posts, read 40,050 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are considering relocating to the south side of Atlanta from the northern burbs of Cobb County.

Could anyone give me the scoop on the following areas (general vibe, friendliness, traffic, safety, etc): Sharpsburg, Senoia and Brooks.

We are wanting between 1.5-2 acres or so, budget is upwards to around 300k, give or take. We do need to be within a reasonable distance from the airport (prefer 45 min or less)

We have 2 kids, upper elementary and middle school age.

Any info on Cub Scout groups in the area would be great, as well as guitar teacher (laid back, cool not stuffy).

I have been told that people are really nice in general in Senoia and Brooks areas and I want to verify.

We are looking for a small town kind of feel, with some ruralness in there but still reasonable distance to shopping areas. A more slower pace, laid back lifestyle with genuinely friendly people, friendly kids. Guess we are just looking to be around more down to earth people not so wrapped up with status, image, money.

Any input is appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,202,492 times
Senoia sounds perfect for you. It has a great rural feel, some close by restaurants, but all the big box stores are about 10 minutes away.

There isn't really anything in Brooks, it's nice, but there aren't any stores there. Grocery stores would be 15 or more minutes away. Much less of a town than Senoia. Due to that, I would expect less of a community feel. Not to say people aren't nice, but there aren't many chances to gather outside of a church in a place like that. Lots of horse "ranches" around Brooks, it's pretty high end these days. I dunno much about schools, but you would get Fayette County schools in Brooks, and some of the better ones in the county at that.

Obviously, the best thing to do is visit the places. But in generalities, Senoia is an actual town with things in it and closer to stores, Brooks is really just an area and is much more rural.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,338,637 times
Brooks is smaller than Senoia (both are small) Sharpsburg is really a Coweta County satelite of Peachtree City these days, and you can easily cross the county line into Fayette County to shop in Peachtree City. The earlier poster mentioned grocery stores. Yes there is a "grocery store" in Senoia(a small independent one by the name of Crook's, locals joke it indicates their pricing structure being "the only game in town") so really either place you will be driving up GA 85 to the intersection of GA 85 and GA 92 where they have Publix, Ingle's, and Kroger on the southern tip of the Fayetteville city limits (nine or ten miles from either location) In addition in Brooks you could go to Lovejoy In Clayton County, or Griffin in Spalding County almost as easily. What the poster probably meant though was downtown Senoia does have some charming shops (as well as a giant furniture store (Holberg's) and satellite locations of many locally owned restaurants that are also present on the Newnan Court House Square (County seat of Coweta County) Brooks feels a little like a cotton gin outpost. The surroundings of all the towns you mentioned is rural to semi-rural. The people are super friendly and nice. The Schools, well there is nothing wrong with Coweta County Schools in the East Coweta High feeder pattern that both Sharpsburg and Senoia are districted to, but Fayette County Schools are generally better regarded, especially in the Whitewater High/ Starrs Mill High School feeder patterns that make up the southern tip of Fayette County. I really do not see how you could go wrong either place, it just depends what you are seeking. The only downside to any of these places is proximity to an Interstate. In that competition, Sharpsburg has an edge in that department. Finally Vibes:

Brooks equals refreshingly rural to the point they do not even have their own zip code (They share one of the Fayetteville ones) Small, but not that far to grocery shopping/ Walmart/ big-box retail in Fayetteville, Griffin or Lovejoy. Family focused, friendly, probably a slight edge in the public school department.

Senoia equals revitalized cotton mill town with charming downtown. Equally far to "real shopping" in Fayetteville or Newnan. Shares High school and middle schools with Sharpsburg. Has outposts of several locally owned restaurants from downtown Newnan.

Sharpesburg equals "poor man's" Peachtree City (not really, that is a local joke because Sharpsburg is just across the Coweta County line from Peachtree City and is generally less expensive, but not low income by any means) It gives you access to Peachtree City shopping and amenities and east Newnan shopping. It feels the most suburban of the three there are many nice traditional subdivisions as well as a semi-rural life style on its southern and western fringes. It is generally served by the same East Coweta High feeder schools as Senoia, but its western edge go to North (something) High School closer to Interstate 85. It is MUCH closer to Interstate 85 (really any Interstate) than Senoia or Brooks which may gice it an edge to commuters.

I hope this helps. Welcome to Atlanta's fantastic south side suburbs!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Senoia actually has a Publix very close at Rockaway Rd & 74. 3.5 miles from the center of Senoia.

Brooks is little over 6 miles to the same Publix. Both are about equidistant to the standard big box stores in PTC. Fayetteville's big box and grocery stores are the furthest from both locations, and PTC's are nicer.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Fayette Pavilion (where you have the "big boxes") is at the very northern part of Fayetteville's city limits. The "Grocery store intersection" (85/92) with Publix, Kroger, and Ingle's is only 9-10 miles from Brooks or Senoia. Lovejoy (with Walmart, Publix, chain restaurants) is not far from Brooks at all (Brooks is adjacent to the Clayton County "panhandle" where Henry, Clayton, Fayette, and Spalding Counties come together in extreme southern Clayton County. Griffin's main shopping area on the North Expressway (business 19/41) is probably the same distance as the Fayette Pavilion from Senoia, closer to Brooks. Peachtree City, as I stated before, is Sharpsburg adjacent. It is closer to Senoia, farther (from Brooks for general shopping (85/92 grocery stores or Lovejoy would definitely be closer for Brooks as would Griffin (a slither of Brooks actually wraps into extreme northwestern Spalding County). Take a drive down and look around, you really can't go wrong with any of these locations. Good Luck!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 PM

thank you for the input!! Is the vibe down there just as busy or a little more laid back than our northern side? Also, I thought I saw there was a Fresh Market in PTC? Is there a Whole Foods or a Sprouts in the area/coming to the area? (assuming this would be nearer to PTC?) How are farmer's markets and CSAs down that way? Any recommendations on finding fresh eggs for sale from a farm?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM

There is a Sprouts coming into PTC. It'll be right next to Mcintosh HS.

Vibe is much more laid back that the northside of Atlanta. There is a farmers market on the weekend in PTC. Based off what you are asking about, you're probably going to do most of your shopping and out and about stuff in PTC, it has everything and it is nicer than anything around.

Per Google maps, southside Publix in PTC is the closest store to Brooks and the closest big boxes are in PTC.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Very laid back and friendly, you will LOVE it. There is a Fresh Market in Peachtree City. There is a WONDERFUL for real farmer market run by a real farm family on GA 54 between Fayetteville and Peachtree City (my memory is failing me for its name, but it will be very obvious on your left after you leave the northern/ eastern city limits of Peachtree City.) I actually have seen fresh eggs for sell off of Ga 85, too. Many of the small towns in the area also have community farmers markets on Saturday mornings; I know Fayetteville does. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CSA?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Adams farm! It's a great place to pick your own berries or get other produce. Hope it stays as that corridor is going to get more and more crowded in the future.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:09 PM

CSA is a Commnity Supported Agriculture (I think that's it!) where each season you can sign up for a weekly share of the crops that are being grown.<br><br>Thank you!! I am excited to come check out the area. Friendly, more laid back, less overscheduled and some acreage in a family friendly area is what we are looking for!<br>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta