Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times

Advertisements

Forgive my little rant here but I have to express this. Recently I was looking at Google Maps and was on Peachtree Street downtown. I clicked up and as I passed by Peachtree Center I saw that the bubble canopy at the entrance was replaced with a different (and far uglier) one. It might seem silly to some, but the old one was one of my favorite features of this complex and downtown. It was very striking. Who ever came up with the idea to replace it needs a head examination.

Old one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r-entrance.jpg

New one: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7602...Og!2e0!6m1!1e1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Forgive my little rant here but I have to express this. Recently I was looking at Google Maps and was on Peachtree Street downtown. I clicked up and as I passed by Peachtree Center I saw that the bubble canopy at the entrance was replaced with a different (and far uglier) one. It might seem silly to some, but the old one was one of my favorite features of this complex and downtown. It was very striking. Who ever came up with the idea to replace it needs a head examination.

Old one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r-entrance.jpg

New one: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7602...Og!2e0!6m1!1e1

Nothing to worry about, AtlantaIsHot. That google streetview isn't very representative of how it really looks. It is much more cleaner, modern and open than the old 'bubble' structure. When you see it in person, I'm guessing you'll like it.

And the courtyard between the towers has never looked more beautiful in the Summer. The landscaping in the various giant planters is gorgeous.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nothing to worry about, AtlantaIsHot. That google streetview isn't very representative of how it really looks. It is much more cleaner, modern and open than the old 'bubble' structure. When you see it in person, I'm guessing you'll like it.

And the courtyard between the towers has never looked more beautiful in the Summer. The landscaping in the various giant planters is gorgeous.
Thanks for trying to comfort me but no, I won't like it. I like the old one better. It more matched the complex. The blue lights that spelled Peachtree Center matched the complex's blue signage. I don't like it at all...

I do hope at least they've left the sculpture in the plaza alone...

Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Not sure if this notorious "landmark" will soon be demolished, but the building in Marietta where I had to spend all effing morning waiting in line to get my drivers license back in 2001 is now surrounded by a high chain-link fence. The bigger new building is next door.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Thanks for trying to comfort me but no, I won't like it. I like the old one better. It more matched the complex. The blue lights that spelled Peachtree Center matched the complex's blue signage. I don't like it at all...

I do hope at least they've left the sculpture in the plaza alone...
Okay first, I'd like to say I don't find your attachment this thing silly. We all have our things. As I understand it, some folks are still vexed that the newer big chicken is smaller than the original; I wouldn't know because I did not live here when it was bigger. However, in Atlanta, you have to be prepared to accept change if you're going to be happy. It's not like say New Orleans or Boston where you can pretty much depend on many things to always be the same. You will not always like the changes that are made, but they will still be made.

You have to realize Atlanta is a younger city as compared to many so its identity is still in flux and may always remain so. If you asked 100 people to describe Atlanta's culture, you might get 100 answers or perhaps none. I don't have an answer myself except there is constant change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta