Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,671 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Atlanta and looking for a less than 30 min commute each way.

I'll be working at GE which is just north of I75 and 285. Is this Cumberland area??

We are looking for a house to rent, 1900 or less. We are looking in Marietta and Smyrna. Are these both ok areas? Girlfriend will be working from home so my commute is the only issue. We are late twenties professionals, white. No kids but possibly in the future.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked a billion times !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 02:09 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
I do not know exactly where this G.E. location is or how many there are in the general vicinity you described, but it sounds like it may be the one on Wildwood. If so, that area is now considered Cumberland. The zip code changes to 30339 OTP (outside the perimeter) in that area have changed what used to be Marietta to another part of unincorporated Atlanta. Also, it will not be far from the new Braves stadium which you can consider a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it.

The majority of Cobb County is pretty safe. Both Marietta and Smyrna are in Cobb County.

Marietta is huge, and the more upscale areas of Marietta are further north and east than the part closests to Cumberland. Also, the commute from Marietta can be a pain many days during rush hour, meaning a trip that should take 15 minutes takes 45 of more.

I'd personally prefer Smyrna over Marietta based on what you have described. It would not be a full blown reverse-commute, but it should be for much of the way especially if you take the surface roads for some of it. I also like Smyrna because it has more of a mix of suburban and urban feel, and places you need to go just to function like the grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, etc. are not so spread out.

If you are willing to consider renting a condos, you should consider Vinings proper and Sandy Springs just north of Powers Ferry. You'd have less space, but I'd plop down somewhere right along Paces Ferry.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
You should have lots of options in both Marietta and Smyrna and both are nice areas.

Since you are renting, don't have kids and still relatively young - I would say Smyrna over Marietta.

There is an area that is referred to as Smynings which is technically north of Vinings (I-285) and south of the actual Smyrna city limits. This is also a great area to look - primarily has a Smyrna mailing address.

The big pro of Marietta/East Cobb is that if your office is in Wildwood - you can live and work east of I-75 and Cobb Pkwy (Hwy 41). Smyrna is going to put you west of this area. That is going to be your biggest traffic issue.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
LK and LL have pretty much nailed it.

All I might add is that if you want more country in your sitting-in-traffic playlist, look toward Acworth, Kennesaw, and Powder Springs... or Austell and Mableton if you really got that pioneer spirit. Should be noted though, both Marietta and Smyrna (but certainly not Vinings) have a couple slightly sketchy areas, but those places go for half of what you can afford.

Affordability of rentals in Fulton or Dekalb County might be worth looking into if you can't resist the cosmillennial appeal of Buckhead, Midtown or Brookhaven.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 AM

190 posts, read 318,827 times
Smyrna would be a great bet. You're only five minutes from the Cumberland area, and it's a great area for young families (and couples too). You are very close to Vinings and only 15-20 minutes from downtown. Yes, there are a few sketchy areas, generally North of Windy Hill Rd, but most everything South of that is either new construction, or a mix of newer homes and older ones in some of the older neighborhoods. You should be able to find a decent house for your budget. As an example, and I know this is over your budget, but my neighbor rents out 4 bedroom/4 bath, 3500 sq. foot house for $2300 a month, so I would think you could get an older smaller house or townhouse for much less.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,671 times
Thank you all so much that is super helpful.

Our traffic in Seattle is horrible and I'd like to avoid that if possible with my new office but as always, the cost of living and areas don't seem to jive to the shorter commutes.

Sigh. Really appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle1980 View Post
Thank you all so much that is super helpful.

Our traffic in Seattle is horrible and I'd like to avoid that if possible with my new office but as always, the cost of living and areas don't seem to jive to the shorter commutes.

Sigh. Really appreciate the feedback!
I currently do Snellville to Cumberland so hey it could be worse!

I would look in Marietta somewhere or near Vinings. A lot of co workers live in Cobb somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta