U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 PM

9,707 posts, read 8,872,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
If they want to close the darn street let them. You never hear people in the city telling people in the suburbs what to do (Outside of Marta).
Some of you ****** about the burbs incessantly. It is really immature and unintelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Some of you ****** about the burbs incessantly. It is really immature and unintelligent.
God bless you

Old 06-09-2015, 06:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,601,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
An empty office building on Piedmont is undergoing a conversion to residential.
Post properties has proposed a massive apartment complex next to COP.
Flatiron building is getting remodeled as a tech hub, ScoutMob co-founder is transforming an unused building into a tech startup hub.
Underground Atlanta project.
New Falcons Stadium.
GSU Law Building.
GSU Student Housing.
GSU Graduate Student Center.
Atlanta Streetcar.
New hotel on Ivan Allen, next to GA Aquarium.
Peachtree Center Ave Cycle Track.
Its true that downtown is not making headlines with the amount of development taking place there but the area is definitely, gradually changing for the better. And the vibrancy that the GSU has brought and continues to bring to eastern downtown with its constant expansion should not be discounted IMO. The Office Apartments (yes that's what they're calling it) will be the first big non-GSU infusion of new residents in long time. Also the Post project just applied for some construction permits last month I believe so that may also be moving forward later this year.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
An empty office building on Piedmont is undergoing a conversion to residential.
Post properties has proposed a massive apartment complex next to COP.
Flatiron building is getting remodeled as a tech hub, ScoutMob co-founder is transforming an unused building into a tech startup hub.
Underground Atlanta project.
New Falcons Stadium.
GSU Law Building.
GSU Student Housing.
GSU Graduate Student Center.
Atlanta Streetcar.
New hotel on Ivan Allen, next to GA Aquarium.
Peachtree Center Ave Cycle Track.
Plus Grady Hospital is expanding.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,010,645 times
Those pricey condos from builder John Wiland are finally being built across from the High Museum.

This past Sunday the Fox celebrated being saved from destruction 40 years ago by having a block party, which was fun. The Fox was open for tours and even the organ was played. So glad we still have the Fox.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM

743 posts, read 663,133 times
Okay, the whole "road closures for festivals" thing is being blown way out of proportion. Those events do not harm the city, and are infact a net positive. I live a block away from Tech Square and I can tell you that as a resident and home owner here, I fully support closing down the streets every now and then for festivals.

Heck, just about every neighborhood festival closes down a main street. Most people are fine with it. Plus, most of these street closures take place on the weekends.

Trust me, Tech Square hosting the Taste of Atlanta, isn't killing the golden goose. It's because of interesting and culturally significant events as this that make areas like Tech Square popular and an interesting place to live and work.

And yes, this is how real cities do it. It's embarrassing that this is even a discussion.

P.S. Add the future Centennial Olympic Park rennovations as another notch under Downtown's belt.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Okay, the whole "road closures for festivals" thing is being blown way out of proportion. Those events do not harm the city, and are infact a net positive. I live a block away from Tech Square and I can tell you that as a resident and home owner here, I fully support closing down the streets every now and then for festivals.

Heck, just about every neighborhood festival closes down a main street. Most people are fine with it. Plus, most of these street closures take place on the weekends.

Trust me, Tech Square hosting the Taste of Atlanta, isn't killing the golden goose. It's because of interesting and culturally significant events as this that make areas like Tech Square popular and an interesting place to live and work.

And yes, this is how real cities do it. It's embarrassing that this is even a discussion.

P.S. Add the future Centennial Olympic Park rennovations as another notch under Downtown's belt.

Yeah these comments are ridiculous... people from outside this area probably think we are country as hell with some of these comments

Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,001,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
....and nothing downtown
There are things going on downtown, but it's just not shouted from the rooftops like it is when something is going up in Midtown. I'll tell you this, if anyone wants to get in on the residential real estate downtown, the time is NOW. Not so far in the future, Downtown will be as hot as Midtown. I think a lot of people at this point and time are not 100% about downtown partly because it doesn't really feel like a "neighborhood" yet. It doesn't feel residential enough for folks, even myself; there's not the right TYPE of retail in existence, like even a decent grocery store. But I'm telling you, it's on the upswing, and will soon be monetarily out of reach for many if they don't get in now while the whisper of the rise of downtown is underground.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 AM

96 posts, read 70,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Street closures should not be done without careful consideration to the nearby businesses & residents... Nor should they seemingly be done on a "willy nilly" basis as I described them earlier.
I'm not sure what makes you think it's done "without careful consideration" or on a "willy nilly basis." All festivals with street closures have to obtain permits from the mayor's office and they also go through the Neighborhood Planning Units (NPU-E in the case of Midtown) so that local residents and businesses have a chance to weigh in. Using your own example (the taste of Atlanta festival), this event already was on the NPU's monthly meeting schedule, even though it's not until September. That's more than 3 months for people to comment on the impact of lane closures. You're completely misrepenting how these lane closure work - it's probably because you live in the suburbs, and just aren't aware of the processes in the actual city of Atlanta.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 AM

22,647 posts, read 16,684,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollen View Post
I'm not sure what makes you think it's done "without careful consideration" or on a "willy nilly basis." All festivals with street closures have to obtain permits from the mayor's office and they also go through the Neighborhood Planning Units (NPU-E in the case of Midtown) so that local residents and businesses have a chance to weigh in. Using your own example (the taste of Atlanta festival), this event already was on the NPU's monthly meeting schedule, even though it's not until September. That's more than 3 months for people to comment on the impact of lane closures. You're completely misrepenting how these lane closure work - it's probably because you live in the suburbs, and just aren't aware of the processes in the actual city of Atlanta.
They going thru the Neighborhood Organizations, then the NPUs, so residents get 2 times to voice concerns. Then they go to the mayor to get approved. Also, a security plan for the event must be completed and attached with the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or