U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM

743 posts, read 663,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Definitely stop allowing left turns on Peachtee during certain hours, and maybe encourage more midtown workers to take transit. Midtown residents and business people love to Uber which stills create more congestion. Also midtown, north avenue and the art center Marta stations have no parking for residents to park and take the train to Buckhead and the Perimeter.
Dude, why would Midtown residents need to park at any one of these stations? It would literally take longer than walking and would be completely pointless. When I owned a car, it took me like 7 minutes to get out of my garage! lol. I can walk to two Marta stations in under 6 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 3,381,057 times
Modera Midtown broke ground yesterday. This building is a beauty and very unique looking and a welcome addition to skyline.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Dude, why would Midtown residents need to park at any one of these stations? It would literally take longer than walking and would be completely pointless. When I owned a car, it took me like 7 minutes to get out of my garage! lol. I can walk to two Marta stations in under 6 minutes.
I'm talking about residents are who further away in Midtown like West Midtown and Ponce which both are more minutes than you mention. Since I doubt Marta will increase bus frequency to those stations it still would make sense to park at a Marta station and rail to other employment centers versus driving.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,389,735 times
Quote:
Modera Midtown broke ground yesterday. This building is a beauty and very unique looking and a welcome addition to skyline.

I'm into photography, specifically architecture. Atlanta is going to great for my camera.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,600,334 times
Quote:
Nice.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,600,334 times
Exciting times for urban Atlanta. ....

Old 06-13-2015, 09:47 AM
bu2

9,233 posts, read 5,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt BRT can be effective, but you still get what you pay for. Trust me, I'd take BRT over nothing any day, but if you want a system that is truly independent of road conditions, such as closures, natural distastes, traffic, etc, grade separated rail is the way to go.

BRT would have still been brought to its knees during the Snowpocalypse, but the trains ran just fine. I also don't trust leadership in this region to go all in with BRT. I could see them easily cutting corners and under-delivering, especially when the line will have to run through multiple jurisdictions.

I also don't trust drivers to always obey signals. You always see the one or two jerks that decided to try and make the light and end up sitting in the middle of the intersection, holding everyone up.

The Orange line in LA looks like a great example for BRT, but I doubt we'll get something like that here. It would be nice. But, even they are talking about converting that line to rail based to improve both capacity and reduce travel time.

In short, I think BRT is good and can be effective, but I don't buy into people saying that it's just as effective as rail-based transit for a fraction of the price.
Actually MARTA got shut down during the snow storm. Although it was due to a fire, not snow.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Exciting times for urban Atlanta. ....
Yes it is, I like the fact that growth is occurring organically. Midtown Atlanta transformation is nothing short of amazing. I also see that a comedy club is next to Vortex. I wonder if the club is any good anyone?

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 06-13-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 AM

1,854 posts, read 1,318,219 times
Organically is a funny term (Yes I know he means it metaphorically) but in my minds eye I can see high rise apartment and office buildings growing out of the red clay like kudzu after a North Georgia rain! LOL

Old 06-13-2015, 06:07 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,188,761 times
Quote:
Yes it is, I like the fact that growth is occurring organically. Midtown Atlanta transformation is nothing short of amazing. I also see that a comedy club is next to Vortex. I wonder if the club is any good anyone?
It's called the Laughing Skull, and it's actually part of the Vortex. I went once a couple of years ago, and had a blast. Margaret Cho was in town and just popped in unannounced. She did a 30 minute set that was so funny we could hardly breathe! Have been meaning to go back for a while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or