Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
As someone that lived in Midtown I loved many of the events even if they brought street closures (and even I did not go to an event, I know others did). It all goes back to if Midtown should focus on serving commuters or residents. Luckily they have chosen to focus on residents in recent years.
Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Agreed. Was in Boston over the weekend. The little street festivals in the North End and Back Bay were really great. And, it was great to see how pristine the Boston Commons were.

If you know the only place in Midtown for a festival is Piedmont Park and you go there and do not see a festival you will think "Nothing big is going on in Midtown" but having those street festivals make you want to explore the area more to make sure you aren't missing anything. In real cities you can just start walking and find entertainment. When I go to real cities I just start walking with no plan and find multiple things going on. A large part of "just finding random entertainment" are street festivals. The other main portion is having very few parking lots. More high-rises = more restaurants, more people, more people walking, more festivals, more people from the suburbs visiting, more entertainment and it creates more exciting stories to tell. I'd rather tell a fun story about an event in Midtown instead of going to Waffle House in Lawrenceville

Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
afdinatl & Ant131531
Choosing the right street for such an event is important though. I don't care how they do it in a "real city", for good grief!
Street closures should not be done without careful consideration to the nearby businesses & residents & as well as to commuting patterns when the road is a major one such as Spring St. Nor should they seemingly be done on a "willy nilly" basis as I described them earlier. I don't see why if an event needs to be held on a street setting, a couple of smaller side streets aren't utilized instead of a major artery.
I understand the positive appeal of urban flavor cultural events or festivals but there has to be some measure of adequate consideration and planning to be put into it otherwise the massive collapse of traffic movement caused by such repeated Spring St. closures will be the goose that kills the golden egg for more Tech Square development.
Specifically to you Ant & afd, I'll gladly purchase you both tickets to ride with me on my GRTA bus next October so that you can firsthand experience the nightmare & get a different take on the situation.

Last edited by atler8; 06-09-2015 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
afdinatl & Ant131531
Choosing the right street for such an event is important though. I don't care how they do it in a "real city", for good grief!
Street closures should not be done without careful consideration to the nearby businesses & residents & as well as to commuting patterns when the road is a major one such as Spring St. Nor should they seemingly be done on a "willy nilly" basis as I described them earlier. I don't see why if an event needs to be held on a street setting, a couple of smaller side streets aren't utilized instead of a major artery.
I understand the positive appeal of urban flavor cultural events or festivals but there has to be some measure of adequate consideration and planning to be put into it otherwise the massive collapse of traffic movement caused by such repeated Spring St. closures will be the goose that kills the golden egg for more Tech Square development.
Specifically to you Ant & afd, I'll gladly purchase you both tickets to ride with me on my GRTA bus next October so that you can firsthand experience the nightmare & get a different take on the situation.

Just stay in the suburbs and eat at Waffle House and Burger King.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Man. I hope the transportation folks are busy planning!
They only have 3 stations to plan around, Unless they bring that Streetcar thing in the area to run east and west of Midtown.

Midtown is definitely King of Hill for Atlanta. Very hot district.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Just stay in the suburbs and eat at Waffle House and Burger King.
afdinatl, I totally agree with you about street fairs and just the energy of a (real) city. I've been here 5 years now, and Atlanta has improved considerably in this area. When I moved here, the streets downtown and midtown seemed eerie to me.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM

I don't appreciate the smart aleck & uncalled for putdown style of response directed at me, afd. I recall that you have been short with me on a previous occasion too.
Additionally, you don't know me from Adam nor know my tastes other than what I have expressed here as a concern for traffic gridlock caused by major event street closures in the Tech Square area. And I am doing my own part as a GRTA Xpress commuter to lessen the clogging of metro roads.
My last in city residence amongst my 30 years spent living IN the City of Atlanta was on Fortune St. in your very own OFW, by the way.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Real cities have them in the streets
I agree shut the streets down.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I don't appreciate the smart aleck & uncalled for putdown style of response directed at me, afd. I recall that you have been short with me on a previous occasion too.
Additionally, you don't know me from Adam nor know my tastes other than what I have expressed here as a concern for traffic gridlock caused by major event street closures in the Tech Square area. And I am doing my own part as a GRTA Xpress commuter to lessen the clogging of metro roads.
My last in city residence amongst my 30 years spent living IN the City of Atlanta was on Fortune St. in your very own OFW, by the way.
If they want to close the darn street let them. You never hear people in the city telling people in the suburbs what to do (Outside of Marta).

Old 06-09-2015, 02:47 PM

You are missing my point in your apparent focus on the fact that I now live in Jonesboro & are categorizing me as a suburbanite. If you knew me personally, you would know how much of a true urbanite I have been and still am.
I have long defended The City of Atlanta for most of my 35 years in Georgia from all sorts of of the anti-Atlanta crap & sniping as seen in public forums, long heard on a.m. talk radio & elsewhere.
The fact that I now live in Jonesboro is not as you would judge it a simple case of a suburbanite telling Atlanta whether or not to close streets down for events. But rather, having worked at my job at 14th & Peachtree for 30 years, I am aware of how sensitive businesses and their employees, and yes even residents, can be when they can't get into their offices, office parking decks or get their clients in to see them. Additionally, I hear the grousing from the condo residents in my mixed use complex when they can't readily get into or out of our complex.
On beyond the personal experiences of inconvenience with street closures I have repeatedly encountered while commuting on my GRTA Xpress bus, I worry for the city proper of Atlanta that the rising gridlock will hurt it and reverse the flow of businesses & residents that is currently underway back into the city. That is not something that I want to see happen.
I have long held that Atlanta grew so large in the first place because, first & foremost, it was & is a city of business & that we not should kill it's intown revival with a worsening of traffic gridlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta