Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Don't you realize that all white people are the same? Not to mention that some of these guys are in their heads and know exactly what they are thinking.

I just can't (won't) get on board with the conspiracy theories about white people. It's ridiculous to judge people by the color of their skin - it's very 1950.
no its not, people judge. You judge people all the time on here Joe. Ive seen you man. Nothing wrong with that, hell I judge the hell out of people. And no most whites aint the EXACT same but when it comes to blacks, most of yall have the same mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
OK but do you give back to your old neighborhood or any HOOD for that matter? If not then you're part of the problem.
Well I try not shop at Wal Mart, i go to a lot of Black events, i get my car maintenance down at Tire Plus, but a lot of blacks work there at that shop. I could be a part of the problem...man to be dead real with you Larry most of my money goes to Student Loans, Car Note, Utilites, and Insurance. The flex money is saved. So yea I probably give all my money back to white enterprises and I work for fortune 500 that is 80 percent white, the rest being black, asian and latino. I try not to waste my money on Jordans, leasing luxury cars, name brand clothes, over priced night clubs, basically the stuff black Atlantians do. So maybe Im the lesser of the two evils. Im not necessarily HOOD, but im far from BOUGIE or FAKE. Plus aint no hood people on city data, aint enough, twerking, fist fighting and foolishness here to entertain those kinds of blacks. Here its all about READING and WRITING ....

Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Are you white? Are you a white male? Acid Snake is pretty spot on and in my opinion he was being very gentle in that post. It was very politically correct.
Yes to both questions, and I have to strongly disagree.

I find his sweeping generalizations and most of his posts to be divisive, and extremely pessimistic.

I actually feel sorry for him living with such extreme views and outlooks on life here, and believe he would be much happier elsewhere. But that's just one supposedly completely clueless opinion from some evil white guy.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 AM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Well I try not shop at Wal Mart, i go to a lot of Black events, i get my car maintenance down at Tire Plus, but a lot of blacks work there at that shop. I could be a part of the problem...man to be dead real with you Larry most of my money goes to Student Loans, Car Note, Utilites, and Insurance. The flex money is saved. So yea I probably give all my money back to white enterprises and I work for fortune 500 that is 80 percent white, the rest being black, asian and latino. I try not to waste my money on Jordans, leasing luxury cars, name brand clothes, over priced night clubs, basically the stuff black Atlantians do. So maybe Im the lesser of the two evils. Im not necessarily HOOD, but im far from BOUGIE or FAKE. Plus aint no hood people on city data, aint enough, twerking, fist fighting and foolishness here to entertain those kinds of blacks. Here its all about READING and WRITING ....
You sound pro black, why not live in a black neighborhood? Atlanta is one of only a few cities in the US where blacks have decent area's to live.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:30 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes to both questions, and I have to strongly disagree.

I find his sweeping generalizations and most of his posts to be divisive, and extremely pessimistic.

I actually feel sorry for him living with such extreme views and outlooks on life here, and believe he would be much happier elsewhere. But that's just one supposedly completely clueless opinion from some evil white guy.
Number one: My apologies, because I actually thought for some reason that you was a lady.

Number two: I don't need false pity or crocodile tears. So please save your "sorries" that you don't really mean.

Number three: your opinion is typical of someone who is cocooned in privilege and protection afforded to you by your society. So there is obviously no real necessity or desire for you to look past your own comfort...to observe the relative discomfort of others and the causes thereof.

It's actually quite amazing how often I talk to people who think just like you. It's like reading several carbon copies of an original document.

Good thing though, that there are some white men who actually get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZPf422HUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMY2Bvxuxc

Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Don't you realize that all white people are the same? Not to mention that some of these guys are in their heads and know exactly what they are thinking.

I just can't (won't) get on board with the conspiracy theories about white people. It's ridiculous to judge people by the color of their skin - it's very 1950.

Yes sir, right on!

Not only is it 1950's, it's inferior thinking.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:28 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
You sound pro black, why not live in a black neighborhood? Atlanta is one of only a few cities in the US where blacks have decent area's to live.
I know your comment wasn't directed at me (I haven't even participated on this thread until now), but why should African Americans have to live in predominantly black neighborhoods? Contrary to what many people think, there are lots of blacks who have never lived in "the hood" or mostly black communities - doing so as an adult would be a brand-new experience for them rather than "going back to their roots." In the end, aren't your property taxes, mortgage payments, utility payments, etc. still cycling back into the white-dominated economy, even if 100 percent of your neighbors are black?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Good thing though, that there are some white men who actually get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZPf422HUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMY2Bvxuxc
Tim Wise is underrated. I've had the pleasure of breaking bread with him face to face. Nothing like it.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Tim Wise is underrated. I've had the pleasure of breaking bread with him face to face. Nothing like it.
I agree.

I guess what Mr. Wise is delivering quite simply too real for a lot of American society. You won't see Fox News or even the supposedly liberal news stations CNN and NBC rushing to put him on when it comes to these racial situations...that much is sure.

I sometimes wonder if America society in general really even wants real change...and not the superficial window-dressing stuff that is sooo depressingly common around here.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
The problem with black people is that we think individually like white people but don't have the numbers, money, or power. When you are out numbered and over powered you have to be smart and stick together in order to survive, like the 300 movie. If we don't stick together, then we are surely doomed.
I recommend this DVD (see trailer below) talks about building black wealth, I've already ordered mine. I like the part where Dr. Boyce Watkins says..... a lot of us think as soon as we get a pay check our job is to go out and spend that check making Nike rich, you are the drug addict & somebody else is the drug pusher, wow!

https://youtu.be/Nv-W2A7rpUs
Not to pick on you above but black people are individuals. No one should have a solid community mindset as it can be damaging to that community to blindly follow the lead of others. It is important to have and be able to consider different opinions and points of view.

I like some of the things that Dr. Watkins says but not all and I don't think he or any of the other black community internet super stars have all the answers for black people in America.

Personally, due to me being a history buff (and believe me, I know my history on black people) I also know for a fact that black Americans, are first and foremost Americans. "White people" are not the same across the globe. White Americans are also Americans and we share more cultural aspects with them and Americans in general than most black people like to realize. Many of the black community superstars want us to have more of a connection to other cultures, mostly African, which is fine as I have no gripes with African cultural traditions when it comes to specific items, but we are not Africans. Black Americans are not going to become African because we have been too engrained in American society.

Also, many of these black community superstars, like the main stream media, focus primarily on the negatives of blacks in this country. We always need to be "fixed." We always have to "fix" someone else or our "community." IMO, many of them feed into the white supremacist ideology and it is pretty sickening that we buy into it so much.

And FWIW, I see nothing wrong with community pride and action. I see nothing wrong with being proud of being black and of the legacy and strengths bestowed upon us as black Americans. As I said, I am a big history buff and I am in awe of our ancestor's, distant and recent, achievements economically, educationally, and socially. I am also aware that due to our history, we cannot be measured equally against whites in this country nor recent immigrants or other ethnic Americans. We were the defacto underclass in this society until the 1960s/1970s in many places across the country, not even just the south as the north had its fair share of racial prejudice and legalized racism instituted to thwart the prospects of blacks in this country. It is amazing how far we have come since that time, in only 1-2 generations we have made a huge turnaround economically especially, but instead of celebrating those achievements and relishing in them, we are constantly comparing ourselves against others, shaming each other with ideas that we need "fixing," and belittling other black people over silly reasons instead of making a game plan individually and within our communities to, if we want and have the time, to better ourselves and our areas. We have the opportunities available now. We have a large amount of black Americans who actually do go out and help their communities. So we shouldn't be so judgmental or combative against each other and we shouldn't even speak IMO of "whites" or care what they think of us. We should continue to do what we are doing, getting better, getting more educated, getting more economically ahead. Contrary to what many blacks say, all of the above are happening and have been happening for 50+ years.

Quote:
I consider myself VERY "pro-black." I don't know where BlackPeach2 lives but there are actually plenty of places in US cities where blacks have decent areas to live. Blacks can live anywhere they want to live. Like what was said earlier, if they want to give back to their old, poorer neighborhood that is good, but they can live wherever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta