Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM

19 posts, read 74,876 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'm going to be relocating my family in about 3-4 months. We are moving from Southaven, MS (just south of Memphis). We have two very young children so a good school system is very important. My job will be in Atlanta, (probably working 3-4 days a week) so I'll be having to drive to the city for work. I'll be working at the Peachtree Dekalb Airport. We are wanting to do some research on some nice areas north of Atlanta. I really don't want more than a 30-45 min drive to work. Will be in either corporate housing or apartment for close to 6 months but buying within a year. Things that are important are safety, schools, and affordability. (3-4 bedroom under 230,000)

If anyone could suggest some good areas I would greatly appreciate it.

Buford was suggested by someone, but after reading on here I'm a little concerned with landfills that folks are talking about.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Buford would be a stretch for a 30-45 minute communte. I would say it would be closer to an hour...and if there's a wreck....

I would maybe try Peachtree Corners if you can find something in your price range. If not, I would try Duluth. You should definitely be able to find something in your price range there. Also, I like Tucker, and people seem to really like it as well, I honestly know nothing of the schools though. Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
If you can find a good realtor that knows the North DeKalb market well, it is very possible for you to find something nice much closer to work. There are several hidden gems very near PDK, including ericsonga's suggestion of Tucker.

Some will try to steer you away from DeKalb Schools, but there are several good Elementary schools scattered about the area (you did say your kids are very young still).

Good luck, and welcome to Atlanta.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
If you can find a good realtor that knows the North DeKalb market well, it is very possible for you to find something nice much closer to work. There are several hidden gems very near PDK, including ericsonga's suggestion of Tucker.

Some will try to steer you away from DeKalb Schools, but there are several good Elementary schools scattered about the area (you did say your kids are very young still).

Good luck, and welcome to Atlanta.
Wembley Forest is in the northern part of the Tucker area (technically Doraville 30340). It's a lovely little neighborhood, and is located in the Evansdale Elem/Henderson Middle/Lakeside High cluster (my stepsister, who lives there, has been pleased with the schools). Houses are available in the 200's. Very convenient to PDK via Chamblee-Tucker Rd.

Wembley Forest Neighborhood

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM

188 posts, read 680,333 times
East Dunwoody also has some very good homes to offer. It would be around 20 -25 minutes of commute mostly back roads. I like Peachtree Corners area as well but be careful as some parts of that area are crime ridden.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Parts of Peachtree Corners is crime ridden?? Do you mean Norcross?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0804tkg View Post
I'll be working at the Peachtree Dekalb Airport.
Cool. Send me a message when you get settled and maybe we can go flying. I have a plane tied down there.

Roads from Gwinnett to PDK can be very congested during rush hour (Peachtree Industrial, Buford Hwy, I-85). As someone else said, I think Buford is a stretch. You will want to be closer in. Duluth might work but it could still be a long drive. Berkeley Lake area is very nice, but I've never priced it out. Ditto with northern Norcross near the Chattahoochee (Pickneyville area).

Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM

19 posts, read 74,876 times
[quote=billl;11157764]Cool. Send me a message when you get settled and maybe we can go flying. I have a plane tied down there.

/quote]

Yeah....Sounds great. Will do

Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
I like Vinings and Dunwoody! convenient to get to Atlanta and for Family's while being a bit more dense with more options then the other suburbs I think.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I like Vinings and Dunwoody! convenient to get to Atlanta and for Family's while being a bit more dense with more options then the other suburbs I think.
Vinings to PDK would IMO be a commuting nightmare.
And where would you find a SFH in either suburb for 230K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta