Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,223,610 times

Advertisements

This guy just can't get enough of himself.

Quote:
Despite Cobb County Chairman Tim Lee’s assurances over the past year that the public will decide if a controversial rapid transit bus system is built, the $500 million project can now proceed with a simple majority vote of the county commission.

That detail is embedded in a 110-page transportation planning document that was approved by the commission May 26. Each of the four district commissioners say they thought that the planning document required a public referendum on the system when they voted for it.

Lee made his first promise for a public BRT referendum at a July 2014 commission meeting, during which the board approved placing the SPLOST tax referendum on ballots last November. Lee tried to assure voters that they could vote in favor of the tax and not worry about the money being used to fund BRT.

“I just want to be clear on something,” Lee said during the July meeting. “My intent, if the board sees fit in the future to consider bringing the (BRT) project forward … it’ll be done in a public environment. It’ll be done — in my recommendation — in a separate election, to be held on its own merit … and be voted on by the citizens of Cobb County … by itself in an election-year ballot.
No matter what your thoughts are on the Braves and BRT, this guy just seems to be a certifiable scumbag. He willed the Braves, now he wills BRT. This is the same style of bravado that landed the Atlanta Area Bravos a home outside of their namesake. He likes to set up scenarios where there is no real chance for anyone to object, it's Tim's way or the busway.

As a potential, but less and less likely, future citizen of Cobb, please vote this man out. Whatever rep Cobb had as a place for better government is being shredded by him regularly. Voting for him again would be like an abused wife begging the cops not to arrest her drunk abusive husband.

No public vote needed for controversial BRT project | www.myajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times
I saw him in a meeting about transportation involving the Braves development when I walked into work this morning.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,099,828 times
Too bad he can't use his "mojo" to push for MARTA HRT.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
Tricky, alright. I think that's his middle name.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 AM

749 posts, read 885,195 times
I'm no fan of Lee either, but what other way is there to get much needed rapid transit in Cobb County? If you wait on the voting population of Cobb to bring a BRT system to the county, you're going to be waiting for a very, very long time.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,099,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I'm no fan of Lee either, but what other way is there to get much needed rapid transit in Cobb County? If you wait on the voting population of Cobb to bring a BRT system to the county, you're going to be waiting for a very, very long time.
Except this isn't even real BRT, but a half-ass measure to beef up existing service in one corridor.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 AM

749 posts, read 885,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Except this isn't even real BRT, but a half-ass measure to beef up existing service in one corridor.
Yeah, I'm trying to hope for the best, but am honestly expecting a half-assed measure as well.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times
Quote:
Why didn't Cobb County look at the failure of the Queue Jumping Lanes on Memorial Dr before proposing this project?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,587 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm trying to hope for the best, but am honestly expecting a half-assed measure as well.
Same here. Expect minus some of the "hope"

Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,308,497 times
Quote:
Agree with this. And, honestly, this is how representative government works. We, the constituents, don't get to vote up or down on every single project the county or city undertakes.

Certainly Lee should not have said that a referendum would be required and then backtracked on that. But, honestly, I don't have an issue with there not being a referendum at all. Something needs to be done about transit in this corridor, and, as Frankster said, waiting on the voting population of Cobb, which skews much further to the anti-government, anti-tax wing than does the county's populace as a whole, to approve any kind of transit expansion would probably take quite a while. Building a viable rail network, which I agree would be preferable, would probably take over 10 years and cost several times more what BRT would. So this may be the best compromise possible at this point in time.

For what it's worth, I don't recall referenda being held for the Streetcar or the new Falcons' stadium, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta