U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
 
24 posts, read 85,213 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I just posted a comment but it disappeared. The job market it NOT hot right now. I have been looking since December, and I had nothing. My husband had a job transfer approved, but he just got word that they can't have anymore people at his job and they have to lay off newbies. So it's now going to be 2 unemployed people looking for work next month.

I am trying to get enrolled into the TAPP program, but we have to wait until March before we can do anything. I am going to apply to grad school get the Ed stuff I need, and then apply that way. I am an English Major and I have a M.A in Early American lit, and it's not helping at all. My husband has a B.A in Biology so he might be able to get a critical needs job easier than myself.

Please don't come down here without a job or a plan. It is not very easy to get work down here. I have contacts and I'm still jobless. I have to take out more student loans when I go to school in order to live and probably foresee having to pay at least 75,000 back in student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,803,409 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightstar78 View Post

I am trying to get enrolled into the TAPP program, but we have to wait until March before we can do anything. I am going to apply to grad school get the Ed stuff I need, and then apply that way. I am an English Major and I have a M.A in Early American lit, and it's not helping at all. My husband has a B.A in Biology so he might be able to get a critical needs job easier than myself.
Well, I hate to say it, but with majors in Early American Lit and Biology, what kind of positions were you expecting? I often wonder why people find it shocking that they can't find good jobs when they've majored in a relatively obscure field that doesn't have a direct correlation to the needs of employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,374,563 times
Reputation: 582
Graduate degree - graduate degree - graduate degree!

It really DOES help you get a job AND higher pay....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,803,409 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Graduate degree - graduate degree - graduate degree!

It really DOES help you get a job AND higher pay....
If it's in a relevant field- having a masters in Early American Lit obviously hasn't helped the OP, and why would it, other than in a teaching position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,374,563 times
Reputation: 582
But it WOULD help get a teaching job, better than a BS.

MY son is getting a PhD in Math or Physics - I am sooo going to brainwash him in that direction.

Of course, he's going to get that PhD while playing fullback for the Atlanta Falcons (who will win a Super Bowl while he's on the team) AND also making millions with his rock and roll band.

Of course, he's 6 now so I've got a lot of brainwashing to do.....

;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,803,409 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
But it WOULD help get a teaching job, better than a BS.

MY son is getting a PhD in Math or Physics - I am sooo going to brainwash him in that direction.

Of course, he's going to get that PhD while playing fullback for the Atlanta Falcons (who will win a Super Bowl while he's on the team) AND also making millions with his rock and roll band.

Of course, he's 6 now so I've got a lot of brainwashing to do.....

;D
Well good- at least two out of his three careers will make him some money.....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,374,563 times
Reputation: 582
Yes, after he gets that PhD in Math or Physics he's going to invent a WHOLE new space ship and patent it....THAT's where he's going to get his money.

Did I mention when I proposed this career plan to him he was all for it - space scientist, football player, and rock star? Who can pass that up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
 
849 posts, read 3,206,398 times
Reputation: 199
Default check out colleges

You have enough to teach in a Comm. Coll. It may not be Early Amer. Lit. but there are tons of kids in these places who still can't read or write a simple essay. Actually that's true of the 4 year schools too and they all require incoming students to prove competency either by testing out or doing a class. You can both also sub and it won't have to be in your areas. My husband also has a degree in Eng. and he subs EVERY subject in middle and high. Fulton Co. pays $90 per day if you both do it that's $180 per day and you can still teach on the college level even very adjunct.
Your hubby should check out CDC but Bob K below has a point, to a degree, no pun intended, well ok it WAS. Since I (almost) graduated back in the Stone Age, Science majors needed advanced degrees. YOU should put your grad school dollars towards him and you wait to do TAPP. An ed. degree isn't going to help you. it'll take 2 years and cost $$$


Quote:
Originally Posted by brightstar78 View Post
I just posted a comment but it disappeared. The job market it NOT hot right now. I have been looking since December, and I had nothing. My husband had a job transfer approved, but he just got word that they can't have anymore people at his job and they have to lay off newbies. So it's now going to be 2 unemployed people looking for work next month.

I am trying to get enrolled into the TAPP program, but we have to wait until March before we can do anything. I am going to apply to grad school get the Ed stuff I need, and then apply that way. I am an English Major and I have a M.A in Early American lit, and it's not helping at all. My husband has a B.A in Biology so he might be able to get a critical needs job easier than myself.

Please don't come down here without a job or a plan. It is not very easy to get work down here. I have contacts and I'm still jobless. I have to take out more student loans when I go to school in order to live and probably foresee having to pay at least 75,000 back in student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
 
849 posts, read 3,206,398 times
Reputation: 199
Default some of us want educations

not job training. You're right about the bio major, tho. Why didn't his advisors tell him he really needed to pursue a grad. degree?

anyway who knows what employers want. This guy was going on a TRANSFER and got axed last minute.

this is a good example of why college = $$$ is such a lie. My carpenter son-in-law makes a whole lot more than most middle managers his age and he's happy. Once we lost the idea of education for it's own sake, we created this mess. anything built on the shifting sand of lies is going to fall eventually. We'll always need carpenters, electricians and plumbers to name a fw. Many of the above that I've known in my life, were self educated and could discuss intellectual topics as well as any b-school grad. Oh wait they couldn't, they did it better and more knowledgably becasue it was something that really interested them.
Sure we need business people but to think it's great education or the road to riches is a delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but with majors in Early American Lit and Biology, what kind of positions were you expecting? I often wonder why people find it shocking that they can't find good jobs when they've majored in a relatively obscure field that doesn't have a direct correlation to the needs of employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
 
2,642 posts, read 7,374,563 times
Reputation: 582
You have to have a Masters to teach at a Community College. I applied for a job at the one in Athens when we first moved here. I was officially done with my degree but wasn't going to actually metriculate until December. Didn't matter. I had to have the degree in hand.

It's not a lie that degree = $. It's true quite a bit, especially in the sciences. Carpentry and the like are highly skilled fields. You can't get $$$ out of high school doing carpentry or hair. You have to have extensive training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top