Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times

Advertisements

Well now we have to worry about this. According to a June 5 article in the ABC, Georgia has climbed to 20 Fortune 500 corporations. Atlanta has hit 18 Fortune 500's. Just a couple years ago, Atlanta had fallen to 14 thanks to the recession and Georgia had fallen to 16. Now we've got NCR moving toward being bought up and Rock-Tenn leaving to drop it down again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
BLINQ only had 50-200 employees. NCR has 30,000. I don't think you can draw any comparisons of the two. Also First Data went private via KKR and is doing quite well and still is HQ in Sandy Springs area, they have an employee count closer to NCR's.
They immediately laid off 1,700 people, which is 6% of their workforce after that leveraged buyout. That also doesn't account for long-term shifts

Because of how a leveraged buyout works when the acquired company has had performance problems in the past, the purchaser will need to make some changes or sell off pieces of the company that would hold a higher value doing another function.

The company will be forced to be more profitable, since they must pay interest on the capital cost of acquiring the company.

The new owners and their creditors won't go into this without a strategy for change.

When we come back and look at this in the future, we should pay close attention what changes they make on the hardware side and what changes they make to the software side. Because this has been a big change NCR has pushed, I suspect this is the new buyers will work with.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
How would the Atlanta Business Chronicle know the answer to that question? I bet the management at NCR doesn't even know.
You don't think management is the first to know everything do you?

I had a situation recently. I knew of an additional Director's position opening up. My boss would be placed in charge of approving the position. Once I spoke with him about it, his reply was---how in the heck did you know that, I wasn't even aware of the new position, yet". I said, "it helps to be in the loop".

My boss is high up on the pole.

One thing about media, they have access.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
You don't think management is the first to know everything do you?

I had a situation recently. I knew of an additional Director's position opening up. My boss would be placed in charge of approving the position. Once I spoke with him about it, his reply was---how in the heck did you know that, I wasn't even aware of the new position, yet". I said, "it helps to be in the loop".

My boss is high up on the pole.

One thing about media, they have access.
The problem with this is your not thinking about the flow of information properly.

Only the private equity firm knows what they will do. They are also likely taking it private, so they don't have to publicly disclose plans for deal with shareholders concerns. This is the reason NCR management wouldn't know.

So you can ask a journalist with a contact to NCR all you want, but that is the wrong flow of information -if- the company is bought out.

In the short-term I would expect NCR to continue as planned. They have put too much investment into it not to. However, if the private equity firm steers the company away from software (or sells it off) and back towards manufacturing, they might dump or sell off the Midtown location. They were primarily targeting its use for software development.

If they go all-in on the software-side, they might merge it with another company, sell it off to a similar company, or re-invest in it on behalf of some other clients the new firm has. It is really too early to tell.

We also shouldn't forget that there are at least 2 bidders (that are known) at this time. The stock spiked, because a potential bidding war of its purchase can generate more money for share holders.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 PM

124 posts, read 206,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Private equity giants looking to take firm private.

Report: Blackstone, Carlyle to make buyout offer for NCR | www.ajc.com
This sucks and they just located to atlanta and now there is going to be layoffs.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusgametro View Post
This sucks and they just located to atlanta and now there is going to be layoffs.
Tip....stop believing everything you read on the Internet

Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
True but do you know if there is going to be any layoffs I hope not.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
There will be layoffs. That's the way the world works in these instances.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:27 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You can apply that same advice to the Mainstream American Corporate media. Because they certainly did a good job informing us citizenry on the truth about the 2003 Iraq invasion, eh?

Let me digress.

I certainly hope there will not be layoffs in store for the NCR workers in metro Atlanta.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You can apply that same advice to the Mainstream American Corporate media. Because they certainly did a good job informing us citizenry on the truth about the 2003 Iraq invasion, eh?

Let me digress.

I certainly hope there will not be layoffs in store for the NCR workers in metro Atlanta.
Im also concerned about columbus ga too because NCR has a manufacturing center here. And if the layoffs happen in atlanta at the NCR the effects could be felt down here too. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Were struggling here in Columbus for jobs don't need to lose anymore jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta