Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 AM

477 posts, read 594,043 times

Advertisements

Well, it appears someone out there was listening...or that the contract is due to expire next year and Park Atlanta is a political cuss word now.

City to give Park Atlanta the boot - CBS46 News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Let's see what they replace them with before we celebrate.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Hopefully someone a little less vigilant, someone who isn't rushing to the meters within 1 minute of them expiring.

Bunch of ninny ass hall monitors going around and punishing people for technicalities rather than being reasonable. Good riddance.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Hopefully someone a little less vigilant, someone who isn't rushing to the meters within 1 minute of them expiring.

Bunch of ninny ass hall monitors going around and punishing people for technicalities rather than being reasonable. Good riddance.
Sorry, but this is not a good reason. If your meter is unpaid, you should be ticketed immediately. The reason parking is available in Downtown and Midtown is due to this vigilance. Do you remember what metered parking was like before Park Atlanta, it was nonexistent.

The complaints are wide and varied, but most of these complaints are due to the structure of the contract the city signed and some technical difficulties. The most pressing issue, is they lack any recourse for legit complaints.

I once parked on 12th street, paid my fare, and sat at a restaurant patio(seated directly in front of my car). I witnessed a Park Atlanta attendant come up to ticket my car, I tried to politely get her attention and explained I had paid. (ticket in hand). She ignored me, until I screamed an expletive at her and approached. This is something that I was rather upset about, because she lacked any consideration for my rightful appeal. She unapologetically explained her system was not updated and walked off.

I want them to choose a new vendor, or negotiate a better contract, but I do not want them to go back to the status quo before Park Atlanta.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 AM

Disagree.

The idea is to not let one person monopolize a spot and make it free for others. Writing a ticket within 5 mins of expiration is just revenue enhancement. I assume they have a little alarm going off on their ticket writing machine advising them a surrounding meter is about to expire so they can get there as soon as it does. That needs to be eliminated on the next go round.

I don't want to return to flagrant violations, but the insta-ticket crap is wrong. They are just wanting to pounce on someone making a LITTLE mistake. It's like LE giving you a ticket for going 57 in a 55. No thanks.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 AM

364 posts, read 418,335 times
Quote:
Disagree.

The idea is to not let one person monopolize a spot and make it free for others. Writing a ticket within 5 mins of expiration is just revenue enhancement. I assume they have a little alarm going off on their ticket writing machine advising them a surrounding meter is about to expire so they can get there as soon as it does. That needs to be eliminated on the next go round.

I don't want to return to flagrant violations, but the insta-ticket crap is wrong. They are just wanting to pounce on someone making a LITTLE mistake. It's like LE giving you a ticket for going 57 in a 55. No thanks.
It is your fault. Doesn't the machine tell you when your meter will expire. If you choose to flagrantly ignore time and use the meter after your time expires then you deserve to get the ticket.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
It is your fault. Doesn't the machine tell you when your meter will expire. If you choose to flagrantly ignore time and use the meter after your time expires then you deserve to get the ticket.
I agree too. Pay for your parking, or get a ticket. It's simple. People are criticizing Park Atlanta for being efficient.

My only complaint is that they need to use their efficiency to also go after the people that illegally park where they should not be parking at all. I.e. - Bicycle lanes, in the middle of a street blocking traffic, being outside of the white lines near the streetcar, double parking, etc. The situation of people parking in bike lanes is especially bad on Edgewood Ave, and I have never had Park Atlanta answer their dedicated line for reporting that.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Disagree.

Your argument if fundamentally wrong, if the idea was to not allow one person to monopolize a parking spot, nothing prevents this today. If you pay the meter you can park the indefinitely, there is no fine for continuing to pay the meter once the 2 hour limit is up.

The machine only shows the parking spaces that expire, it does not show the remaining times on the meter. So once again you know nothing Tikigod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The user has plenty of option. Leave on time, purchase additional time, pay by phone APP. I put a reminder on my phone, takes 10 seconds. I'm willing to bet he/she lives outside the CBD, or where Park Atlanta enforces.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Your argument if fundamentally wrong, if the idea was to not allow one person to monopolize a parking spot, nothing prevents this today....

The machine only shows the parking spaces that expire, it does not show the remaining times on the meter. So once again you know nothing Tikigod.
http://www.parkatlanta.org/regulations.html
Quote:
Sec. 150-133. Overtime parking
(a) No person shall park any motor vehicle in any area where a parking meter is installed for a longer period of time than has been paid for or the maximum time indicated for the area by an appropriate sign.
So, do I get an apology, or are you just going to sit there and look like a jerk?

With that said....
You guys are the ninnys!!! I hope you all get tickets going 57 in a 55, obviously that's the type of world you want to live in. LE, code enforcement, etc shouldn't be waiting for you to make simple, NOT FLAGRANT, mistakes, which is exactly what Park Atlanta does.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

364 posts, read 418,335 times
Quote:
PARKatlanta.org | Parking innovation and service enhancements for the City of Atlanta

So, do I get an apology, or are you just going to sit there and look like a jerk?

With that said....
You guys are the ninnys!!! I hope you all get tickets going 57 in a 55, obviously that's the type of world you want to live in. LE, code enforcement, etc shouldn't be waiting for you to make simple, NOT FLAGRANT, mistakes, which is exactly what Park Atlanta does.
57 in a 55 is a different story. The speedometer has a margin of error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta