Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 11:26 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,669,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Baby steps. Start with an intra county system
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The feds would never give them money to start a rail or BRT network that did not connect to the regions existing transit system.
Basically, the feds don't like giving money to transit projects unless they tie in with the existing regional system, with the obvious exception of networks just starting.

And no, CCT is not THE regional transit network, even for Cobb. MARTA is the agency who runs connections to a majority of the Metro counties and population. So, any high-capacity transit the Cobb wishes to build, which they wish to get federal funding for would NEED to be connected to a MARTA station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But isn't it up to Cobb to decide what they want to do?

Most people in Cobb (like most people everywhere) commute by auto and that works well for them. It's flexible, convenient and it provides door to door, last mile coverage.

Why should they be required to implement an expensive mass transit system?
You're right that it's ultimately up to Cobb Co. to decide, whether that decision is to Join MARTA, expand CCT, discontinue CCT, build new light rail, build BRT, lobby GRTA to build commuter rail, etc.

The incorrect idea here is that, just because it's their decision, that it somehow only affects them and theirs. Cobb is a part of this Metro region whether or not it likes it. Cobb is a part of a metro with Atlanta at it's core, whether or not it like it.

Cobb has major employment regional employment / retail centers, state and local colleges, and sizable population centers. Cobb has significant amounts of people who commute to and from the county every day to work, play, and shop. Everyone involved in these movements of people, goods, and money all have skin in the game of Cobb's mobility decisions.

Cobb does not exist in a vacuum, and anyone who says they are trying to make decisions only for themselves, needs to take a long, hard look at everything that is in Cobb that makes it impossible. To name just a few:
  1. Regional sports-team megaplex
  2. Cumberland CID
  3. Lockheed Martin
  4. Dobins AFRB
  5. Kennesaw state university

To say that Cobb is only deciding things for Cobb is to ignore everything that happens around Cobb, just as much as saying that Fulton can only decide things for Fulton without waves being made throughout the metro.

It is only expensive in the moment, in the future it will either have been an investment, or cost a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM
bu2

23,897 posts, read 14,695,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
The year is 2017, I'm sittin at home in April minding my own business here in Fulton county, an area served by marta rail. Then I turn on the TV. No one is at the Braves game. The root cause is total gridlock.
I guess you never went to a game at Turner Field!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,597,175 times
Quote:
Most people don't have a choice because the local government made the choice to design the county for 1 mode of transportation only. There are thousands of transit dependent, working class families that suffer because of the lack of coverage, time it takes to ride the bus, or the cost of owning a car. This is exactly the reason Atlanta ranks last in upward mobility.
Well, I agree that public transit impacts some workers.

However, it's a far cry from being the main reason Atlanta ranks low on upward mobility.

For example, the Brookings study shows that Fulton -- which has extensive mass transit -- ranks lower than Cobb and Gwinnett. And the lady with the 4 hour commute who was the focus of the NYT article lives in DeKalb, and uses mass transit to commute to work.

There are a lot of other factors involved in Atlanta's low ranking, not the least of which is that we have suburbanized poverty. We are a low density spread out region and the dispersal of the poor reflects that.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,751,152 times
Quote:
Well, I agree that public transit impacts some workers.

However, it's a far cry from being the main reason Atlanta ranks low on upward mobility.

For example, the Brookings study shows that Fulton -- which has extensive mass transit -- ranks lower than Cobb and Gwinnett. And the lady with the 4 hour commute who was the focus of the NYT article lives in DeKalb, and uses mass transit to commute to work.

There are a lot of other factors involved in Atlanta's low ranking, not the least of which is that we have suburbanized poverty. We are a low density spread out region and the dispersal of the poor reflects that.
Where did she work?
North Fulton and South Fulton do not have good transit coverage.
The suburbanizing poor is all more reason for a fully connected, transit agency. Do you know how stupid it is that I have to have MARTA fare and stored value on my BreezeCard, instead of just buying a monthly pass that I can use on both?
CCT does not have BreezeCard machines, CCT users must either go to the Marietta Transfer Center and load cash that way or pay at the bus door, which leads to slower buses. This is a far cry from MARTA, where most users load fares on their cards, using the machines making bus loading quicker.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Where did she work?
It doesn't say, cq. The article just says she takes a bus, two trains and another bus to get to work. Apparently she does the opposite to get home, and it takes her about 4 hours a day.

I'm not saying that's good, but that's what happens even when you do have a multi-billion dollar mass transit system.

There's a whole lot more to this than public transit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...ters.html?_r=0

Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
It doesn't say, cq. The article just says she takes a bus, two trains and another bus to get to work. Apparently she does the opposite to get home, and it takes her about 4 hours a day.

I'm not saying that's good, but that's what happens even when you do have a multi-billion dollar mass transit system.

There's a whole lot more to this than public transit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...ters.html?_r=0
Then obviously, this woman does not work in Fulton, DeKalb or Atlanta, areas covered by MARTA. My guess is the long time is waiting for a bus connection.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Then obviously, this woman does not work in Fulton, DeKalb or Atlanta, areas covered by MARTA.
How do you conclude that, cq? She says her route is a bus, then two trains and then another bus.

Since she's in Stone Mountain, suppose she takes the bus to Kensington, then takes the train to Five points, transfers to the north line and rides to north Springs, and then takes the 185 bus to her job somewhere in North Fulton. That could easily take two hours each way on MARTA.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
How do you conclude that, cq? She says her route is a bus, then two trains and then another bus.

Since she's in Stone Mountain, suppose she takes the bus to Kensington, then takes the train to Five points, transfers to the north line and rides to north Springs, and then takes the 185 bus to her job somewhere in North Fulton. That could easily take two hours each way on MARTA.
Because I have do it, but I only take 1 train and 1 bus. Personal experience.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Because I have do it, but I only take 1 train and 1 bus. Personal experience.
It does sound burdensome but I could see it happening. Public transit is hardly known for its speediness.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,128,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
The year is 2017, I'm sittin at home in April minding my own business here in Fulton county, an area served by marta rail. Then I turn on the TV. No one is at the Braves game. The root cause is total gridlock.
Uh, no. The root causes are a bad team, overpriced tickets, and fairweather fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta