Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

bu2 - You are really trying hard to bend the world to fit into your notion of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM

445 posts, read 516,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm at MARTA stations pretty frequently and have ridden it in the last month.

And I think my comment was Kensington. And MARTA's own stats show Kensington was 1st or 2nd among all MARTA stations in crime, despite all of you thinking I was being ridiculous. It just proved all of you had your heads in the sand. As for Avondale, it is adjacent to Scottsdale which is high crime.
It was Kensington and Avondale: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post38680796

Are you saying you wouldn't buy a house within a mile of
  • Inman Park/Reynoldstown
  • Edgewood/Candler Park
  • East Lake (which would rule out parts of Decatur and Lake Claire)
  • Decatur
  • Avondale (including Avondale Estates, parts of NE CoD, and Winnona Park)?

Old 09-02-2015, 11:55 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
I would absolutely not want to be within a mile of a station.

And you know, they don't steal just TVs. After all, prices are down. We got broken into here and they left the electronics and stole cash and jewelry. Fortunately, we didn't have much of either in the house. The previous crime wave in the area, they were just stealing jewelry and cash. That's the stuff that's easy to turn. Also real easy to stick in a backpack and not be noticed.
The cops tell me that virtually 100% of break-ins are committed by people with access to a car. That's why they say one of their most effective crime fighting techniques is traffic control and monitoring.

It simply isn't feasible to break into somebody's house, and then hoof it back through a residential area to a train station (which is policed and under security cameras), navigate the entry system, and wait for a train.

I do think there may be a certain amount of crime like shoplifting that takes place near train stations. You could walk through a mall or a store, slip something in your pocket and possibly get away undetected.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
It was Kensington and Avondale: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post38680796

• Edgewood/Candler Park
  • Decatur
And further west:
  • Lindbergh (includes Peachtree Hills and Garden Hills)
  • Lenox or Brookhaven (Brookhaven, Peachtree Park, Pine Hills)
  • Arts Center (Ansley Park, Sherwood Forest, Atlantic Station and Brookwood)
  • Midtown
  • North Ave

Yep, real crapholes listed right there.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 PM

39 posts, read 33,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, it is hard to inflect sarcasm over a keyboard.
Not just Cobb, but anyone who currently uses or has in the past used the 'criminal' excuse as to why they don't want transit. As we spoke in the past, we have never seen anyone ride the train or bus with a TV they just stole.
I am going to break it down for the people who pretend not to understand the correlation of mass transit and crime/undesirable behavior.

1. Poor people are much more likely to commit crimes, especially violent crimes, than middle and upper class people. The worst areas in terms of crime in Atlanta are also the poorest.
2. Poor people are much more likely to live in areas with mass transit.
3. If you have no mass transit, then poor people are less likely to move there and thus you are less likely to have violent crime.

It's really that simple and I tend to believe people just don't want to accept those facts.

Bonus
1. Poor people are much more likely to have an lower class culture and mannerisms. Inability to avoid conflict. Not caring about education. General public manners.
2. Poor people are much more likely to live in areas with mass transit.
3. If you have no mass transit, then poor people are less likely to move there and thus your kids are less likely to adopt those cultures.

Now you guys can stop pretending that you don't know why middle class families don't want to be neighbors with the type of people from the Noisey Atlanta series. No one in their right mind would.
Attached Thumbnails
"The Braves, Cobb County, and the debate over expanding mass transit"-download.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 PM

309 posts, read 718,079 times
Says the person who uses a racial epithet as their username.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
bu2 - You are really trying hard to bend the world to fit into your notion of reality.
I was thinking the same about you.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The cops tell me that virtually 100% of break-ins are committed by people with access to a car. That's why they say one of their most effective crime fighting techniques is traffic control and monitoring.

It simply isn't feasible to break into somebody's house, and then hoof it back through a residential area to a train station (which is policed and under security cameras), navigate the entry system, and wait for a train.

I do think there may be a certain amount of crime like shoplifting that takes place near train stations. You could walk through a mall or a store, slip something in your pocket and possibly get away undetected.
Read post #40.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post

• Edgewood/Candler Park
  • Decatur
I was debating whether to say 1/2 mile or a mile. Maybe it would be a 1/2 mile in Decatur.

Now I'm talking about SF. In a condo you have a little more security.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM

309 posts, read 718,079 times
Quote:
You didn't grasp what I said in my earlier post.

The increased foot traffic allows criminal to scout out places they want to rob. For home burglaries, they observe and figure out when people aren't at home, what type of security/dogs they have, and what they might have to steal. Then they come back at the appropriate time.

If there's no transit, there is less familiarity with the area and that makes it less of a target. Cul-de-sacs with no through car traffic have the same advantage.
This seems like a stretch at best. Are you saying no one would notice these unsavory characters and intervene? I live and work from home in the so-so-scary neighborhood of East Atlanta, where it seems you're more likely to be shot by Dekalb police than a criminal, and have not noticed this scoping out you talk about. I actively follow news from my neighbors on Nextdoor, and when somebody does report someone suspicious wandering around, it's usually a self-employed laborer going to a job. Not to say that burglaries and breaks-in don't happen, but they are faaar more likely from people who live nearby than someone riding the MARTA in from Bankhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta