Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 AM
bu2

23,972 posts, read 14,760,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, I am one of them, but I refuse to think we should put commuters above residents. Commuters just pass thru as fast as possible and have investment in the area.
As I stated there are other options for eastern suburban commuters to use and stop cutting thru neighborhoods.
Actually you are suggesting cutting through neighborhoods, limited as those options are, by restricting the capacity of arterials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Actually you are suggesting cutting through neighborhoods, limited as those options are, by restricting the capacity of arterials.
Decatur St and North Ave are not classified as arterial roads, but Memorial Dr is.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
Streetcar expansion ruffles city development committee - Atlanta INtown Paper
Councilperson Keisha Bottoms is an idiot. Campbellton Rd does not have the density to support a streetcar. A better transit option is BRT, in bus only lanes.
Oh FFS. I can see that extension down Camblton Road to Greenbriar Mall literally already on the plan. It's right there, going ftom Oakland City to the mall, and designated as a Connect Atlanta corridor. She literally mad that something that is part of the plan isn't part of the plan.

By the time the streetcars get that far built out (think a decade or two or three) plans could very well have changed, prioratizing that route. Who knows. It's far in the future, and we haven't hardly gotten off the ground with this yet.

It's a non existant issue that already has a solution in place. BRT might be a pretty good solution. Heck, have MARTA build it in such a way that tracks could be laid in the ROW when it's time.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM

7,579 posts, read 10,734,216 times
Quote:
Decatur St and North Ave are not classified as arterial roads, but Memorial Dr is.
This is incorrect. Decatur St and Dekalb Ave are classified as an arterial road in the City of Atlanta and Dekalb County.

Boulevard is classified as an arterial road (and a part of the of the strategic regional thoroughfare plan, which fewer streets are classified as) on the southern portion that is in question. Boulevard is also a part of the city's truck network.

North Avenue -is- an arterial street from Northside Drive to Freedom Pkwy and a collector going east from there.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,793 times
Quote:
BRT is a MARTA matter and you are correct in she is trying to get something out of this for her area, but my neighborhood won't see any BeltLine action either, but I am smart enough to know that it is good for the community as a whole. It will open up employment opportunities for her residents where they will not have to transfer from a train to multiple buses to reach a job.
I understand your sentiments. Unlike East Atlanta, Southwest Atlanta is isolated from the rest of the city commercial centers and there are 2 major commercial centers (Greenbriar and Camp Creek) in that area that would benefit from a direct connection to downtown. There are a host of connectivity issues that are ongoing that would be alleviated by a direct connection. MARTA is decades at the very least from even considering BRT for any other corridors outside the already mentioned ones especially when you consider Campbellton Road. Councilmember Lance-Bottoms is just advocating for more prioritization for Southwest Atlanta because it has a huge and growing base of middle-class to upper-class households that are limited to only bus or private automobile as their only mode of transportation to and from the major areas like Downtown, Midtown, etc. I live in Southwest Atlanta and see this daily, and it is very true.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
bu2

23,972 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Neither are "neighborhood" streets either. Mostly they are commercial. (edit-I see that CWkimbro said they were arterials).

Old 06-25-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
This is incorrect. Decatur St and Dekalb Ave are classified as an arterial road in the City of Atlanta and Dekalb County.

Boulevard is classified as an arterial road (and a part of the of the strategic regional thoroughfare plan, which fewer streets are classified as) on the southern portion that is in question. Boulevard is also a part of the city's truck network.

North Avenue -is- an arterial street from Northside Drive to Freedom Pkwy and a collector going east from there.
Please provide link.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Neither are "neighborhood" streets either. Mostly they are commercial. (edit-I see that CWkimbro said they were arterials).
I said they are simply collectors.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

According the City of Atlanta GIS Map City of Atlanta GIS (09), only Boulevard, Ponce, and Memorial Dr are classified as arterial roads.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM

749 posts, read 885,125 times
Quote:
BRT is a MARTA matter and you are correct in she is trying to get something out of this for her area, but my neighborhood won't see any BeltLine action either, but I am smart enough to know that it is good for the community as a whole. It will open up employment opportunities for her residents where they will not have to transfer from a train to multiple buses to reach a job.
This.

We are never going to find a plan that satisfies everyone 100%, but we need to start somewhere. People like Keisha Bottoms are just dragging this thing further and further out by disregarding the costly and timely studies already conducted to arrive at the current routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta