Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
No we don't agree. You are silly if you think adding a sidewalk would fix a dense development issue or that this is a phenomna exclusive to Atlanta when it is happening in every major or semi major city in this nation. Don't try skew my words so you can carry out grinding you Atlanta ax please. This is about our nation as a whole.
You should know by now that she knows about everything in Atlanta but never brings up the 70 people that were shot in Chicago last week. http://heyjackass.com/

Year To Date
Shot & Killed: 179
Shot & Wounded: 1021
Total Shot: 1200
Total Homicides: 208
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times
I can't believe she came in here talking about sidewalks like that is actually fixes the biggest issue. They got sidewalks in Gwinnett but you gotta walk miles to the store on it. That doesn't fix anything.

Then she think the poor people in Chicago and NYC aren't being push further and further out due to gentrification. What planet does she live on.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
My $.02 is that you could always buy a place, and have your mortgage easily around the $500-$700 mark which is essentially stable (aside from minor fluctuations in taxes, HOA, etc) for the life of the contract until its paid in full..

Just saying, throwing $1000 at rent every month, extrapolate over 30 years, and you got a cost of = $360K for a dinky apartment. Whereas you could probably own something similar for half that price...

Society always wants instant gratification, without looking at the longterm effects.. Sure, it could be a burden upfront to own, but over time, if you did your homework correctly, it surely will pay off...

Cheers..
You do know being eligible to purchase and secure a mortgage is dependent on credit history, credit score, net income, debt-to-income ratio among other factors, right? Student loan debt can throw a wrench into that big time especially on the debt-to-income ratio.

I know of a couple of married couples whom were denied a mortgage because one or both of the spouses had major student loan debt which led to the denial of a mortgage to purchase by multiple banks even after they pre-qualifed based on their dual income household. Buying sounds simple but if you don't meet all of the qualifications and requirements then you might not be able to buy at all until economic conditions improve for the couple...

Last edited by jero23; 06-23-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
No we don't agree. You are silly if you think adding a sidewalk would fix a dense development issue or that this is a phenomna exclusive to Atlanta when it is happening in every major or semi major city in this nation. Don't try skew my words so you can carry out grinding you Atlanta ax please. This is about our nation as a whole.

You said:

Quote:
The problem is living in a walkable area shouldn't be some sort of privilege or something someone has to "deserve". It should be easily available to everyone the same way clean water and basic healthcare should be..
I agree with this. How is that skewing you words? Just because you don't agree with me or like my posts doesn't always mean you have to be combative. It's really not the serious. People can have differing opinions and not resorting to anger or attack others.

High rents is definitely an issue in all major cities. But not having sidewalks isn't. But then that also depends on the part of the country.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I am sure that most of you are aware of this already but average rents in metro Atlanta has passed $1,000.00 per month for the first time ever (Report: Average metro Atlanta rents zoom past $1,000 per month | www.ajc.com).

I use to live in Sandy Springs and when I first signed my lease, I was paying $1095.00 a month. By the time I left after 4 years my rent had increased to $1300.00 (Which is asinine).

Rent is way too high compared to salaries.

What are your thoughts on this?
My Wife and I are looking for a home to live near Marta....but we dont want to live in a bad area....man its been rough search.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Plenty of safe places ITP for $700 a month

I know
My thoughts is the article is bs.
Yea? Like where? Safe for who exactly?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
My Wife and I are looking for a home to live near Marta....but we dont want to live in a bad area....man its been rough search.
Downtown East Point or College Park. There, you owe me a $50 finders fee.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The fact that people can't live in affordable walkable neighborhoods is a problem in itself. Why should only the upper middle class and upper class be entitled to live in walkable, urban neighborhods, but a lower middle class citizen can't?

That's the inherent problem to cities themselves and why they'll never see the growth they did in the early 1900s. A kid making 50k a year should be able to live in a walkable, neighborhood.
This is how I see that post as well. The whole medical law school thing is a bunch of crap as well. Anyone who makes between 35-40 K should be forced to live with people on welfare and section 8 vouchers. Its a really messed up way of thinking especially from self proclaimed ITP ambassadors. I think if you can get anywhere near to transit its a good thing. I think the prices are getting a little out of hand.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
Seems the real issue is there is a smaller amount of safer places to live around metro atl. Crime is getting out of hand in some of these areas thus people are all wanting to live in the safer areas. The landlords/owners are awear of this.
Thats the biggest issue for us. We want dont want to rent anymore, we want to buy, but NOT away from Marta, we have 3 car notes, so one car is always home. Our biggest fear is someone stealing or vandalizing the vehicle. The biggest issue with the criminal invested areas are the MALES who cant find work. I hate them because they are the ones sitting around watching who comes and goes. Living near the poor or with the poor is one thing, living with the Unemployed convict types is a totally different ball game. This is why the renters are raising their rents, they know unemployed convicts dominate many parts of Atlanta WEST SOUTH and EAST, forcing us normal people to pay higher rents in small safety nets that exist.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
This is why the renters are raising their rents, they know unemployed convicts dominate many parts of Atlanta WEST SOUTH and EAST, forcing us normal people to pay higher rents in small safety nets that exist.
This will end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta