Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcw View Post
neither do licensed carriers.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Uber Says Drivers and Passengers Banned From Carrying Guns - ABC News

There is sure to be outcry here in Georgia. Honestly, I feel like this puts both drivers and passengers at risk. Most people who legally carry a weapon do so quietly and without incident. From personal experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable riding without a form of protection. I've never used Uber and probably won't, but I was just curious to see how people feel about this. I believe that Uber and other companies should defer to the local laws. This just doesn't sit right with me.. :/
Ãœber, pay attention. If its legal to carry and if I take your service, I just won't say anything about it? My guess is so will other riders. You are a for hire service. As far as I know you can't preempt it as its probably illegal to do so in Georgia. If you do, many will simply drop you or carry anyway. Not really anything you can do about it except make your service even less desirable as it is.

This is one gun issue that will be a non issue so the liberals lose on this....again. To all who legally carry, carry on. To all who legally carry and ride über, say nothing and ignore accordingly. I'm glad the rider took care of the problem in Chicago. God knows the white house, mayor, senators and governor can't seem to get a handle on things in Illinois.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:59 AM

150 posts, read 152,257 times
Here we go again....

Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This woman disagrees.
Bazinga!
(With all my prayers going to the family of the deceased/victim. It should never take a death to realize the folly of unregulated gun ownership)

Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Rifle-wielding Uber fare robs driver in Queens - NY Daily News
Obviously a fake story, guns aren't allowed in Uber vehicles now.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:57 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Bad guys can pop up anywhere. This driver made the mistake of assuming that a passenger with a rifle was a law abiding citizen.

If he didn't have his own firearm with him and wasn't prepared to instantaneously use it, he was nothing but a sitting duck.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I'm just slowly gonna back out of (reading) this thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:28 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Uh, wow.

I'm a Las Vegas cab driver (a bit Captain Obvious on that one, I know)...

This is a very simple issue to fix. In Las Vegas, every cab has to have a live, two-way camera in it. One direction faces the street ahead and another shows the inside of the cab. We have big stickers on the outside of the rear doors in bold stating, "YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE VIDEO RECORDED"

Ever since the mandatory camera law came into effect, people have become rather shy about pulling guns out.

In Las Vegas, people get the idea that it's a big free for all here. I get lots of very, very strange questions... People looking for hookers, drugs, you name it... But people see that camera immediately pointing into their face and say, "hey, is that thing recording?" before the oddball questions come.
So if people are hesitant to ask a question about committing a crime, you can bet they are even less likely to actually commit one then and there.

Uber operates on loopholes. It's as simple as that.
"Well we are just a tech company, not a transportation company... So we don't have to do through background checks, we don't have to provide cameras, we take no responsibility because that driver there is an independent operator, not an employee of ours"

Drivers like me and like Uber drivers don't need to carry a weapon on them if who they worked for actually gives two $hits about them. Luckily, I have several means of protection.

In addition to the camera, we all have a silent hazard light on top of the cabs. It has a clicker on the floor where I can press it with my foot without doing anything suspicious with my hands. It's essentially a secret distress signal.
There is also a button on the steering column that sends a second distress signal directly to Metro PD. They are able to track the cab down real time where they will pull the cab over with guns drawn.

Does Uber provide anything like this? Of course not... Cause they are a tech company, remember? Let the drivers rake in the company's staggering profits while they fend for themselves in the car every night.

Bingo. Perfectly stated. The consumer usually only cares about price. If one gets clipped using a jitney cab like uber, it's their tough luck. There's a reason a cab is more. What's sad is most über drivers only burn their cars out and über drops them in an attempt to keep more modern fleets. I owned a shuttle business. Über drivers aren't paid enough but most have no clue about true cost of ownership. Users win, drivers loss. Period.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Uber driver breaks anti-gun policy, shoots passenger who allegedly choked him - Washington Times

Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yep, obviously.

And how quickly do you think he could have drawn and used his gun as opposed to how quickly the guy with the rifle already out could have pulled the trigger?

If he had drawn his gun, he would very likely be dead now. Instead, he's out $60.

Choose your path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta