U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 167,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Hardwork? It doesn't take any work at all, white-collar children have more resources, so they do better naturally. It's not like the teachers in South Fulton or Clayton are worse than those in North Atlanta.
Actually, they generally are. The competition to teach in schools with high-achieving students with parental support is pretty fierce. As with any sort of competition, the best generally rises to the top and gets the job. Those that aren't the best accept the other jobs.

There is a lot less competition for the teaching jobs in Clayton and South Fulton, meaning teachers of a lower quality have a better chance of getting a job offer.

It is almost the "chicken and the egg" game. In reality, its both and a self-fulfilling cycle. Higher socioeconomic students = attract better teachers = better performing schools = attracting better students = attracting better teachers = etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:51 PM

50 posts, read 44,969 times
South side Atlanta is also well-positioned to eat north side atlanta's lunch in the film and television game, as we have already seen.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 PM

10,539 posts, read 7,513,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
...It will never rival Perimeter Center by a long shot.

It is very common in most cities that you have what many have loosely called a "favored quarter."...
I appreciate what you are saying especially about airport area needing to leverage its unique assets. But I don't buy that the favored quarter / it will never rival Perimeter philosophy. Just because that was the case the last fifty years does not mean that will be the case for the next fifty years. Just go back a few decades and the north side was very poor and the south side had many rich neighborhoods. Heck Milton County was so poor and insolvent that it had to be merged with Fulton just to keep it alive. Not saying it is a guaranteed thing, but there is no rule preventing southside from surging back and rivaling perimeter.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,455,682 times
The overwhelming percentage of Delta people live where they work, in the Southside suburbs. Everyone knows that Fayette County, and to a lesser extent Coweta County, are kind of the official "Delta suburbs", but I have never been to ANY southside location where the Delta employees weren't so thick you couldn't stir them with a stick. My wife, another "Delta brat", has a theory that many of the white collar clerical and management positions seem to live in Fayette County, Coweta County, or in large homes on acreage in Chattohoochee Hills of South Fulton and that the blue collar (but still relatively well paid) mechanics and tech opps seem to live here in Clayton County and in Henry County (my father in law van pools with many workers from Clayton and Henry) I have often met many flight attendants and even pilots that lived in the Tri-Cities region (Hapeville, College Park, East Point) Of course the pilots lived in Tri-Cities most upscale neighborhoods (a couple in the Rugby Avenue area in College Park's historic district, one lived in a lovely home in East Point off Ben Hill Road near the old Atlanta Christian College (Point University) which is one of East Point's most prestigious addresses.) The person who stated that most Delta employees lived in the northern suburbs is seriously misinformed. Outside of Clayton, Henry, Fayette, and Coweta, the second most common areas would be west side suburbs like Douglasville with the northern "tail" seeping into extreme south west Cobb Austell, etc.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 3,072,880 times
This shows all the redevelopment potential in College Park
360 College Park

Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,455,682 times
College Park looks gorgeous from the air!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:25 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,949,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsmith View Post
South side Atlanta is also well-positioned to eat north side atlanta's lunch in the film and television game, as we have already seen.
I don't think they care. They have the lucrative jobs like Tech in Alpharetta.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:50 AM

4,216 posts, read 3,586,386 times
Wow what happen to this thread, why do people continuously debate about different area of the same metro area. If one area of the metro suffer or does well inevitably we all suffer or do well. The back and forth bickering about which and who is better is so childish. To be quite honest the education system sucks and need to be revamp everywhere, and a house that have both parents their kids will probably perform better academically. Anyways, I'm happy for College Park, this project should do well for those who desire to be near the airport. I think College Park can market Woodward Academy, Hartsfield, and other new development well to world. It does hurt that you have the one of the world's most profitable and best managed airline in your backyard also.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,559,252 times
I am just glad to see more TOD on the south line.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM

29,363 posts, read 26,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The overwhelming percentage of Delta people live where they work, in the Southside suburbs. Everyone knows that Fayette County, and to a lesser extent Coweta County, are kind of the official "Delta suburbs", but I have never been to ANY southside location where the Delta employees weren't so thick you couldn't stir them with a stick. My wife, another "Delta brat", has a theory that many of the white collar clerical and management positions seem to live in Fayette County, Coweta County, or in large homes on acreage in Chattohoochee Hills of South Fulton and that the blue collar (but still relatively well paid) mechanics and tech opps seem to live here in Clayton County and in Henry County (my father in law van pools with many workers from Clayton and Henry) I have often met many flight attendants and even pilots that lived in the Tri-Cities region (Hapeville, College Park, East Point) Of course the pilots lived in Tri-Cities most upscale neighborhoods (a couple in the Rugby Avenue area in College Park's historic district, one lived in a lovely home in East Point off Ben Hill Road near the old Atlanta Christian College (Point University) which is one of East Point's most prestigious addresses.) The person who stated that most Delta employees lived in the northern suburbs is seriously misinformed. Outside of Clayton, Henry, Fayette, and Coweta, the second most common areas would be west side suburbs like Douglasville with the northern "tail" seeping into extreme south west Cobb Austell, etc.
Another good post, Clayton white guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or