U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,488,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good project but why are we buying the machine?
The answer is in the article.

Quote:
The $10 million deep-bore tunneling machine is being constructed in Ohio specifically for this project
Quote:
the machine was being built to the contractor’s specifications
Quote:
it will have to be completely refurbished for use on another project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 AM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
It's a purpose-built piece of heavy equipment that would require total reconditioning and/or extensive modifications to be put back into service when the project is complete. What's the alternative to the city buying it? Having the contractor buy it and pass the cost along to you with a markup? It's not like you can lease or rent something that specialized.
Well, we've had some humongous tunnels dug here in the past and we didn't buy the machine.

Cobb recently build a 27 footer and they didn't buy the machine.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Well, we've had some humongous tunnels dug here in the past and we didn't buy the machine.
They probably did not need to be custom built machines.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They probably did not need to be custom built machines.
Perhaps. But I am skeptical of a municipal government's ability to use, move, store, maintain and repurpose one of these machines. Who in the COA will be responsible for this? That sort of thing is ordinarily left to experts.

A number of massive and complex tunnels have been dug here in the ATL, including those that go through solid rock. They were all handled by private contractors who also provided the equipment and expertise.

Parsons South Cobb Tunnel

Jacobs Associates

Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM

5,401 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
It's a purpose-built piece of heavy equipment that would require total reconditioning and/or extensive modifications to be put back into service when the project is complete. What's the alternative to the city buying it? Having the contractor buy it and pass the cost along to you with a markup? It's not like you can lease or rent something that specialized.
In addition to this, we've had other long-tunnel projects within the city before, and I doubt this will be the last. There's a possibility, albeit very small, that the cit could use the machine for other projects of similar size, like stormwater overflow tunnels and such.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,997,476 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But I am skeptical of a municipal government's ability to use, move, store, maintain and repurpose one of these machines. Who in the COA will be responsible for this? That sort of thing is ordinarily left to experts.

A number of massive and complex tunnels have been dug here in the ATL, including those that go through solid rock. They were all handled by private contractors who also provided the equipment and expertise.

Parsons South Cobb Tunnel

Jacobs Associates
Just because the City of Atlanta owns it does not mean they'll be using it, moving it, maintaining it, or reconditioning it. The city is buying the machine and a firm has been contracted to run the project. The machine would be getting purchased either way.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM

9,553 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Wonder when FloraBama is going to sue Atlanta over the water this thing will draw from the 'Hooch...

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Wonder when FloraBama is going to sue Atlanta over the water this thing will draw from the 'Hooch...
Dunno, we're still in litigation with Florida over that as it is. Alabama and Georgia are busy suing the Corps of Engineers over their management of Alatoona...

I JUST finished writing a research paper on the water wars for my Environmental Securities class. Maybe Atlanta could donate the drill to the State for their tunnel to the Tennessee river?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't think the 10 foot diameter that this machine bores will be enough for LRT, and probably not even a bike / ped path of any real width.
I agree. I don't think there are many people who'd be interested in riding their bike through a 10 foot tube that's several hundred feet underground.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I agree. I don't think there are many people who'd be interested in riding their bike through a 10 foot tube that's several hundred feet underground.
Speak for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or