U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Drilla Mike did that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 01:19 PM

5,409 posts, read 2,737,111 times
This is a good picture. I like this picture.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

502 posts, read 240,775 times
Big news!

Quote:
The city is thinking big in a preliminary design concept, looking for ideas to Mount Royal Park in Montreal, Chenshan Botanical Garden in Shanghai, and Grand Overlook at Parc Des Buttes Chaumont in Paris. The city envisions public art opportunities. It also wants a "grand overlook" to maximize views of the quarry and city skyline, meadows strategically located around the quarry to enhance the park experience, and pedestrian and bike access on multi-use trails.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/07/26/city-to-hire-designer-for-280-acre-westside-park.html

City RFP

Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,915,822 times
For anyone like me without a ABC subscription, the renderings in the article are in the RFP .PDF file, pages 177-191.

This is so epic and awesome. All kinds of great stuff here.

Love the new roads (incl. 'Westside Pkwy'), and I love the tie-in with the Proctor Creek greenway. And with MARTA.

I think eventually the MARTA line should follow this new road along the northside of the creek through the park, to a new 'West Highlands' station on the north side of the park off Johnson Rd.

And I think Bankhead Station should be renamed to Hollowell Station. And the station should be remodeled, and the platform extended to support full length trains (I believe that's already in MARTA's official plans.

Can't wait to visit this park someday. Yay Westside!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 PM

12,926 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
For anyone like me without a ABC subscription, the renderings in the article are in the RFP .PDF file, pages 177-191.

This is so epic and awesome. All kinds of great stuff here.

Love the new roads (incl. 'Westside Pkwy'), and I love the tie-in with the Proctor Creek greenway. And with MARTA.

I think eventually the MARTA line should follow this new road along the northside of the creek through the park, to a new 'West Highlands' station on the north side of the park off Johnson Rd.

And I think Bankhead Station should be renamed to Hollowell Station. And the station should be remodeled, and the platform extended to support full length trains (I believe that's already in MARTA's official plans.

Can't wait to visit this park someday. Yay Westside!

Very good points and commentary, primaltech.

But...

Hollowell Parkway should be go back to its original name, Bankhead Avenue. Historic--the hipsters and gentrifiers should like that.

Then, Bankhead Station can (and should) remain Bankhead Station.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,915,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hollowell Parkway should be go back to its original name, Bankhead Avenue.
There is a 0% chance of that happening.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 PM

28,149 posts, read 24,687,439 times
This should be terrific!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

60 posts, read 30,764 times
Anyone know how long it would realistically take to build out the park? I know the city's timing is unpredictable, but how long does it actually take to design and implement the park space assuming funding and politics don't get in the way?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:31 AM

502 posts, read 240,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm Down ATL View Post
Anyone know how long it would realistically take to build out the park? I know the city's timing is unpredictable, but how long does it actually take to design and implement the park space assuming funding and politics don't get in the way?
Well the first part is already underway, which is drilling the tunnel and filling up the quarry. That should be done by the end of next year.

I really have no idea by when Phase 1 could be complete. I think it depends on the funding. We'll probably hear more next month.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM

5,409 posts, read 2,737,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Well the first part is already underway, which is drilling the tunnel and filling up the quarry. That should be done by the end of next year.

I really have no idea by when Phase 1 could be complete. I think it depends on the funding. We'll probably hear more next month.

IIRC, construction won't start until after the reservoir portion is completed. How long after, though, is anyone's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or