Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times

Advertisements

WSBTV News Story

Quote:
ATLANTA — A century old granite quarry will no longer be a 400-foot deep hole in the ground.

The city of Atlanta will soon bore a five-mile long tunnel from the Chattahoochee River to fill the quarry with an estimated 2.5 billion gallons of water.

"Once we fill this quarry, we will be able to have a 30-day raw water supply, which can be extended to perhaps 60 or 90 days, if we use conservatively," said Atlanta Department of Watershed Management Commissioner Jo Ann Macrina.

The city of Atlanta purchased the Bellwood Quarry years ago with the intention of converting it into a water storage vessel.

Last week, the Atlanta City Council gave the green light for the $270 million project.

New pumping stations will be built to draw water through a 10-foot wide tunnel, 200 feet beneath the ground.

The tunnel will connect to the Hemphill Water Treatment Plant. A second tunnel will connect the plant to the quarry.

Currently, Atlanta only has a 3-day backup water supply in the event of a severe drought or emergency.

"By putting this tunnel in, the mayor is insuring we will have a minimum of 100 years of reliable water supply, and that could potentially stretch up to 200 years,” Macrina said.

Recent events, including river water contamination in West Virginia and drought in the western United States, underscore the critical need for a dependable emergency water supply, according to Macrina.

"Our last major drought was in 2008, and with climate variability, we don't know when another drought will hit us," Macrina said.

Once the tunnel is completed, it's expected to take two weeks to fill the quarry.

The new reservoir will anchor the planned West Side Reservoir Park, which will be linked to the Atlanta Beltline.

The depth of the reservoir will be anywhere from 250 to 300 feet deep.

"It's unbelievable. It's going to look like a lake. People won't know how deep it is. It's going to be real deep," said Atlanta Department of Watershed Management Field Engineer Nathaniel Greenhowe.

The first phase of the reservoir is scheduled for competition in 18 months. The reservoir is expected to be one of the largest urban storage reservoirs in the United States.
Awesome! I'm curious if any of the 270mil goes towards the park, or just converting the quarry into storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Fantastic news!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Well actually filling the reservoir is just $70m, the tunnel is $100m.

Litigation with Alabama is $70m and $30m for Florida.

Ok but seriously...

It is probably just for the reservoir. I partly second-guessing this. I figured since the other reservoir was already nearby they wouldn't need such an expensive long tunnel added in. I just figured it would take awhile to fill up during the wet months.

The issue is for reservoir and raw water capacity, this is actually a -very- expensive thing to do given the capacity. Creating a small lake further from the city would go much further. I remember reading up on the North Metro planning docs that just for water storage, this was extremely cost inefficient.

It makes me wonder how much it would cost to seal the quarry and direct rain water there to just use it as a park vs a reservoir and then work on building a typical reservoir outside the city with more capacity. I'm not sure how much cost that would reduce or not, but it could open up the lake to recreational functions too. I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well actually filling the reservoir is just $70m, the tunnel is $100m.

Litigation with Alabama is $70m and $30m for Florida.

Ok but seriously...

It is probably just for the reservoir. I partly second-guessing this. I figured since the other reservoir was already nearby they wouldn't need such an expensive long tunnel added in. I just figured it would take awhile to fill up during the wet months.

The issue is for reservoir and raw water capacity, this is actually a -very- expensive thing to do given the capacity. Creating a small lake further from the city would go much further. I remember reading up on the North Metro planning docs that just for water storage, this was extremely cost inefficient.

It makes me wonder how much it would cost to seal the quarry and direct rain water there to just use it as a park vs a reservoir and then work on building a typical reservoir outside the city with more capacity. I'm not sure how much cost that would reduce or not, but it could open up the lake to recreational functions too. I honestly don't know the answer to this.
Wonder if people will dive there.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Wonder if people will dive there.
Probably not, at least, not for recreation. The artile talks about how this will be a clean water storage site for water that's been treated from the 'Hooch. In all the plans i've seen, the rim of the quarry is fenced. Allowing people to swim/dive in it without official reason is probably off the table.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Crews have started blasting the rock in preparation for the tunnel project.
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local...project/nqt2Q/

Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Good project but why are we buying the machine?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Streetcar and bicycle tunnels.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Agreed. I don't think it is something the city needs to keep around. But my guess is since it is being custom built for this project we keep it. It's like if you wanted a heavily customised car. The dealer is probably not going to let you lease it, you would have to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Streetcar and bicycle tunnels.
I don't think the 10 foot diameter that this machine bores will be enough for LRT, and probably not even a bike / ped path of any real width.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Quote:
It's a purpose-built piece of heavy equipment that would require total reconditioning and/or extensive modifications to be put back into service when the project is complete. What's the alternative to the city buying it? Having the contractor buy it and pass the cost along to you with a markup? It's not like you can lease or rent something that specialized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta