U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 AM

2,731 posts, read 3,789,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Wondering if it's actually a typo, and should be Atlanta Untied FC.

Not sure what that would stand for, but we'll think of something!
Playing as if their boot laces are untied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,432,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

Here's my question: if "nothing could be worse than sitting through 90 minutes of turnovers and missed shots for a 0-0 tie", then why is this sport enjoyed by billions of people around the world, not to mention by a growing contingent of people in the United States? Why is the FIFA World Cup, not the Olympics, the most watched sporting event in the world?

- skbl17
The very simple answer - it's the most accessible sport in the world. One ball, boundaries of any sort, and a flat spot make it the most versatile and affordable sport in the world. Popularity only makes sense.

But I'm looking forward to checking out some games. Even with that name.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM

28,322 posts, read 24,961,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Yes, that's right: the new MLS expansion team will be called Atlanta United FC.

The official unveiling of the team identity, colors, uniforms, and so on will be on July 7, but the name has been all but confirmed.

- skbl17
I am okay wit it.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,040,803 times
LOL! Could they have a worse or more insular name?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Cue everyone griping over why their favorite name wasn't picked. Seriously though, Terminus FC was kinda cool to me...
Those who arrive survive.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I'm quite frustrated with this choice of name. Manchester United is the most recognizable team in the world with the name "United." One of their main chants is "Glory Glory Man United" sung to the battle hymn of the republic. Meaning there is a good chance this will become a chant for the new team.

This tune is also the uga fight song. So the team has uga colors (although they did try to use yellow as an accent as I assume a nod to GT) and will most likely have a uga fight song as their main chant. As a GT fan that is a bit alienating. I was really looking forward to embracing this team but this makes me think twice.
The Falcons did the same thing as far as color scheme goes.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:23 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,615,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The very simple answer - it's the most accessible sport in the world. One ball, boundaries of any sort, and a flat spot make it the most versatile and affordable sport in the world. Popularity only makes sense.

But I'm looking forward to checking out some games. Even with that name.
Playing is one thing and can be a lot of fun...watching is quite another.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:26 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,615,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
In Europe some futbol clubs use 'SC' as in Sport Club because futbol is just one of several sports that the club sponsors.

I too am not a fan of the 'United' moniker. The Minnesota MLS franchise is using the NASL club's name Minnesota United FC. The owner, Bill McGuire, was the CEO for the UnitedHealth Group so maybe he liked the 'United' name for that reason. But, yeah, there is so little creativity in naming MLS clubs these days. DC United, Atlanta United, Minnesota United, blah blah blah. At least Philadelphia was outside the box with 'Union', which gives the same idea without being copycat.
In Orlando, SC stands for soccer club.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,585,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
In Europe some futbol clubs use 'SC' as in Sport Club because futbol is just one of several sports that the club sponsors.

I too am not a fan of the 'United' moniker. The Minnesota MLS franchise is using the NASL club's name Minnesota United FC. The owner, Bill McGuire, was the CEO for the UnitedHealth Group so maybe he liked the 'United' name for that reason. But, yeah, there is so little creativity in naming MLS clubs these days. DC United, Atlanta United, Minnesota United, blah blah blah. At least Philadelphia was outside the box with 'Union', which gives the same idea without being copycat.
Definitely needs more originality.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 AM

687 posts, read 517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I have no idea, but popularity doesn't make it better. I don't like something just because other people like it. It seems that most of the excitement in soccer is in the stands with the fans - not on the field. Are you going to deny that a ball being kicked back and forth/up and down a field with MAYBE 5 seconds of real excitement during a 90 minute game isn't boring? It's mind-numbing...constant turnovers with no ball control and very little scoring, and when there is a score it's normally accidental. The fact that the clock DOESN'T stop makes it worse...and you know that time is added on at the end right?

I'm a big sports fan, but this is not fun to watch. I can't explain other people liking it...maybe they don't have the better choices we have here, I don't know. I assume I can have an opinion? You can like it just to be like the "rest of the world" but I prefer to think for myself and I'm certainly not embarrassed to do so.
You could get a job on any Sports Radio station in Atlanta with those views Joe!

I understand not everyone likes Soccer and thats completely cool (I'm English but HATE cricket....the worst!) but as for other countries not having "better choices".....c'mon you telling me that if they had say Ice Hockey in England or Brazil or Spain it would make a difference to the popularity of soccer? Nah not at all.

Isn't soccer close to overtaking Ice Hockey here now in terms of TV ratings and attendances? Sure I read that somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or