Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 09:24 AM

654 posts, read 526,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Philly, DC, etc
Philly won the world series in 2008. Redskins have three championships. Miami has multiple recent NBA championships. Cavs just won in '16.

San Diego is up there, but I don't think they have ever had a full roster of teams. Plus it's San Diego.

Braves had that epic collapse a few years ago. Falcons...we know about them. Two! lost hockey teams...it's not pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Soccer is a fundamentally broken game IMO, in terms of the rules. It's just plain too difficult to score. And PK's are ridiculous, basically a coin flip.

Last year's MLS championship ended 0-0, decided by PK's, and the team that won was not the team that dominated the field and shots on goal all game. And then this year United are eliminated in a 0-0 game, decided by PK's. Essentially a coin flip.

I mean, at the very least, decide tie games in a sudden death OT until someone scores, with fewer guys on the field to increase scoring chances, like maybe 8 per side.

And in general, the rules need to be looked at. To make it so that goals go up, slightly. (More like hockey game level of scoring.) I don't know if that's eliminating offsides, making the goal a bit larger, or what. But something seems off about the game, when many games go without either team scoring a point. Or many other games are decided 1-0. I'm not saying "Americanize" it, but IMO fix it.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Well, even the Indians are solid and look promising.
You could say the same about the Falcons last year. They were 1 FG/TD away from being champions.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Soccer is a fundamentally broken game IMO, in terms of the rules. It's just plain too difficult to score. And PK's are ridiculous, basically a coin flip.

Last year's MLS championship ended 0-0, decided by PK's, and the team that won was not the team that dominated the field and shots on goal all game. And then this year United are eliminated in a 0-0 game, decided by PK's. Essentially a coin flip.

I mean, at the very least, decide tie games in a sudden death OT until someone scores, with fewer guys on the field to increase scoring chances, like maybe 8 per side.
I wish soccer would do that for elimination games. And unlimited subs at the beginning of each extra time period.

Quote:
And in general, the rules need to be looked at. To make it so that goals go up, slightly. (More like hockey game level of scoring.) I don't know if that's eliminating offsides, making the goal a bit larger, or what. But something seems off about the game, when many games go without either team scoring a point. Or many other games are decided 1-0. I'm not saying "Americanize" it, but IMO fix it.
Fun fact: Way back in the day, there was a question of whether to have offside be like it is now, or like it is in ice hockey. The decision was to go with the latter.

Maybe they could soften it, like, no offsides once the attacking team has secured possession inside the penalty area?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I thought it was a great inaugural season.
Indeed. The atmosphere at last night's game was amazing. Hearing 60,000+ fans in unison do the "A! ...T! ...L!" chant in unison was awesome. Even the "casual" fans were really getting into it down the stretch. Only thing missing was a goal--had the United scored, that place would have gone absolutely nuts!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Default How Atlanta United FC Became the Best Experience in US Soccer

How Atlanta United FC Became the Best Experience in US Soccer | Bleacher Report

Old 10-29-2017, 07:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Great article.

I'd even say best sports expirence all around. Not just soccer.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:30 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times
Super happy seeing how quickly the city has embraced this team. I was only able to attend two games. Bobby Dodd stadium in July and then the playoff game to end the season at Mercedes. I almost wish I hadn't attended the game at Bobby Dodd because that experience was much more lively and fun. I will attend plenty of games in the future, but that cavernous environment in the new digs felt very different. Of course, I was in the upper deck and that surely had something to do with it. I barely heard any of the noise from the lower level fans (bummer).

Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-u...hDgcO/new.html

Where are the folks that said this team wasn't going to have that many fans this year?

Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Default Keepers of the Golden Spike, Atlanta United FC thread

The first game didn't go so well but you can definitely feel the energy around the city as the team won it's 1st home game of the year. I cannot wait to see how dangerous this attack can become especially once Barco returns from injury.

Last edited by therealpattman; 03-11-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta