U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,812 posts, read 11,814,698 times
Reputation: 5448

Advertisements

My problem isn't that the club is named United. It's a pretty common thing around the world, and in England specifically there are currently three teams with the moniker (Man U, Newcastle, and West Ham) in the Premiere league and another dozen or so in their various other leagues.

What I do have problem with, being an avid Manchester City supporter, is that I will now also have to tell people I am now also a "United supporter" AND that the teams colors will be the same as Man U. I've been waiting for top flight football here in Atlanta for decades...and this is what we get?! Oh well, at least we have a team?

As for the people saying that we should call the team a "Soccer Club", are you mad? The sport's name is FOOTBALL or ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL or FUTBOL (pick one). The NFL plays a sport called "AMERICAN FOOTBALL" or "GRIDIRON FOOTBALL". The sooner we kill this soccer nonsense, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,615,976 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
My problem isn't that the club is named United. It's a pretty common thing around the world, and in England specifically there are currently three teams with the moniker (Man U, Newcastle, and West Ham) in the Premiere league and another dozen or so in their various other leagues.

What I do have problem with, being an avid Manchester City supporter, is that I will now also have to tell people I am now also a "United supporter" AND that the teams colors will be the same as Man U. I've been waiting for top flight football here in Atlanta for decades...and this is what we get?! Oh well, at least we have a team?

As for the people saying that we should call the team a "Soccer Club", are you mad? The sport's name is FOOTBALL or ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL or FUTBOL (pick one). The NFL plays a sport called "AMERICAN FOOTBALL" or "GRIDIRON FOOTBALL". The sooner we kill this soccer nonsense, the better.
It's football in Europe...it's soccer in the US. I hate conforming to what goes on in other countries - I'm a big nonconformist so let us be different...it's what makes us Americans. I don't ever want something just because it's popular somewhere else I definitely don't want to call it a name just because others are doing it.

I'm sorry I just find soccer completely nonsensical. But to each his own - I'm glad you like it. I'm definitely glad Atlanta was awarded a team no matter how I feel about the sport. It's a win for the city.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-29-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Georgia
5,015 posts, read 4,056,342 times
Reputation: 2820
Not bad. Could have done better. The "FC" feels like too many syllables; "Atlanta United" would have sounded a lot better.

But it could have been a lot worse. No gimmicky name, thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 11:03 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,615,976 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Not bad. Could have done better. The "FC" feels like too many syllables; "Atlanta United" would have sounded a lot better.

But it could have been a lot worse. No gimmicky name, thank God.
I hate "United" and I hate FC. I doubt it's a name that will endear the team to Atlantans in general. Whoever came up with this did a poor job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 11:52 AM
 
687 posts, read 517,925 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I hate "United" and I hate FC. I doubt it's a name that will endear the team to Atlantans in general. Whoever came up with this did a poor job.
A winning team will endear the team to Atlantans but 20,000 advance season ticket sales is a great start regardless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,615,976 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
A winning team will endear the team to Atlantans but 20,000 advance season ticket sales is a great start regardless!
A winning team will definitely help, but a name with some local flavor would go a long way toward creating allegiances too. They missed the mark on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,812 posts, read 11,814,698 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm sorry I just find soccer completely nonsensical.
Oh boy. They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing. Do yourself a favor: If you have NBCSN watch the Premier League matches starting in August. By the end of the season in May, you'll be a fan of FOOTBALL.

P.S. It is called football everywhere except for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM
 
38 posts, read 30,983 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh boy. They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing. Do yourself a favor: If you have NBCSN watch the Premier League matches starting in August. By the end of the season in May, you'll be a fan of FOOTBALL.

P.S. It is called football everywhere except for the US.
Of English speaking countries the following call it soccer; Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 AM
 
225 posts, read 189,875 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
This is part of the reason for criticism of soccer here and how it's just trying to emulate Europe. You have teams like Real Salt Lake which is just copying the style of Real Madrid, Real Betis, Real Sociedad, etc. Real is just royal in spanish. You have a bunch of "Uniteds" and of course the FCs. I'd like the MLS to truly have its own character instead of trying to match the rest of the world
Yeah, Real Salt Lake is hands down the dumbest MLS team name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,044 posts, read 809,924 times
Reputation: 1261
Quick update: There will be a Gold Cup watch party (US v. Honduras...anyone got a Spanish stream?) at SOHO lounge tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
My problem isn't that the club is named United. It's a pretty common thing around the world, and in England specifically there are currently three teams with the moniker (Man U, Newcastle, and West Ham) in the Premiere league and another dozen or so in their various other leagues.

What I do have problem with, being an avid Manchester City supporter, is that I will now also have to tell people I am now also a "United supporter" AND that the teams colors will be the same as Man U. I've been waiting for top flight football here in Atlanta for decades...and this is what we get?! Oh well, at least we have a team?

As for the people saying that we should call the team a "Soccer Club", are you mad? The sport's name is FOOTBALL or ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL or FUTBOL (pick one). The NFL plays a sport called "AMERICAN FOOTBALL" or "GRIDIRON FOOTBALL". The sooner we kill this soccer nonsense, the better.
There's actually a pretty neat map on the usage of soccer v. football (the map is wrong on the Irish...they call it football too, not soccer.)

Being a Man City supporter, I wonder how you felt about the end of that 2012 game vs. the Queen's Park Rangers?

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top