Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,487 times

Advertisements

My Family and I are thinking of moving to Georgia in the near future. (After we sell our house) I'm trying to find some leads on work. Maybe in the film industry (No Acting or on camera work I have a face for Radio. LOL) I Used to be a I.A.T.S.E union member (long Ago if that helps) working in post production as a colorist. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,158,145 times
Georgia Film, Music and Digital Entertainment Office might be worth looking at, if you haven't already. Have no idea how much post-production work is done here. Those actually in the know will have to chime in about that. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
Quote:
Have no idea how much post-production work is done here.
I'm going to guess around 0%. Anyone have any insight to the contrary?

I'm always complaining about the decent jobs being imported from LA, and in the world of post, I believe they pretty much always bring everything back with them and cut it there. There's been a lot of talk to try and change that, but as far as I know, it's just been talk and nothing has actually happened yet.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,487 times
[quote=ATLTJL;40235878]I'm going to guess around 0%. Anyone have any insight to the contrary?

I figured that was going to be the case with post production.

I can work in production (props department, set-up or striking set) or anything else that needs to be done.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 AM

Yep, everyone always wants to talk a big game about film production in Georgia, but when someone actually wants to work in it.....crickets. Interesting.

I would imagine some crummy job like set striking would be a much easier place to get in than anything skilled like color correcting. I'm not sure how to go about getting even that job though. Maybe just hang out around Pinewood a few days? They are bound to need someone for something sooner or later and may bebprone to use that guy who is always around.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 AM

2,280 posts, read 3,023,615 times
Film production work is super insular. I have not heard of any major post-production work making its way to Georgia.

As for filming jobs, everything I have ever heard says that you must network or brown-nose your way onto a set, which will take a lot of time if you do not already know anyone.

its an industry I haven't bothered to learn the ins and outs of

Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,139,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgun1027 View Post
My Family and I are thinking of moving to Georgia in the near future. (After we sell our house) I'm trying to find some leads on work. Maybe in the film industry (No Acting or on camera work I have a face for Radio. LOL) I Used to be a I.A.T.S.E union member (long Ago if that helps) working in post production as a colorist. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Regardless of what field one is looking for, I cannot stress this enough: It is a bad idea to move here just to look for work.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It is a bad idea to move here just to look for work.
Of course it is.

But working in film is also a unique animal. Unless you are extremely well-known, nobody is going to make a long distance hire.

It's like being an actor. Normally, you would say don't move somewhere until you have a job. But having a job before you move to LA or NY is unlikely. You have to make the move, pound the pavement, and see if you can get in.

But the film industry in Georgia isn't mature enough for that. There's not enough pavement to pound. After you've gotten a couple of no's (or more likely, no responses at all), you're pretty much out of options.

I wouldn't move to Georgia looking for film work. If you have to move to Georgia anyway and would like film work once here, then by all means pursue it. But, I will repeat what I've said before: I know a ton of people involved in video production in Atlanta. I know exactly zero people who have gotten work in the film business. I was talking to a former person associated with Turner Studios the other day who told me they have lost precisely zero employees to the film business.

The only person I know who has said that film and TV people hire people she knows is a friend who works at SCAD. So there must be a market for artists, costume designers, etc.

I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong on all of this and see a real creative class develop around this industry. I just don't think it's likely....we're not the first city to think it's the next Hollywood (hi there, Orlando, Wilmington, Louisiana, and Montreal!)

Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,219,342 times
To OP...this info might be helpful:

Pinewood Studios Atlanta website: Pinewood Atlanta Studios

Pinewood Atlanta Studio Jobs: jobs@pinewoodatlantastudios.com

Pinewood Atlanta Studios pushes Pinewood Group to record revenue

Operations at Pinewood Atlanta Studios are making a big impact on its parent company's bottom line.

U.K.-based Pinewood Group reported record international revenue for 2014-2015. Its income through March 31, 2015, was $118 million -- an increase of $17.2 million over the year prior. Its profit was $12.7 million.

According to the company's announcement, the spike is partially "driven by the newly operational Pinewood Atlanta Studios."

Pinewood Atlanta is reportedly slated to be home to the next wave of movies in Marvel's cinematic universe. "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will start production in February 2016, according to writer/director James Gunn.

The studio will also grow considerably in the coming years. Phase One of development comprised 118,000 square feet of film sound stages, 90,000 square feet of workshops and 200,000 square feet of offices. Construction on Phase Two is underway, and it will add a total of 117,000 square feet and five stages to the studio's existing six. Phase Two will also add 50,000 square feet of workshop space, 20,000 square feet of office space and 12,000 square feet of tenant space..."

Full Story: Pinewood Atlanta Studios pushes Pinewood Group to record revenue - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,340,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm going to guess around 0%. Anyone have any insight to the contrary?

I'm always complaining about the decent jobs being imported from LA, and in the world of post, I believe they pretty much always bring everything back with them and cut it there. There's been a lot of talk to try and change that, but as far as I know, it's just been talk and nothing has actually happened yet.
No. Currently not a lot of post happening here.

I'm curious though why you think that the crew jobs aren't "decent jobs"?

Quote:
Yep, everyone always wants to talk a big game about film production in Georgia, but when someone actually wants to work in it.....crickets. Interesting.
Like any other job, you don't just walk up and start working. I know a lot, a LOT, of people who have started working in the film business here in the past few years.

Quote:
I would imagine some crummy job like set striking would be a much easier place to get in than anything skilled like color correcting. I'm not sure how to go about getting even that job though.
Well, I know a guy who started by working at a movie fabric supplier in their warehouse. While working there, he met numerous people going in and out, and is now working as an electrician on the crew of a movie after just a few months.

Oh, and even those "crummy jobs" pay quite well.

Quote:
Maybe just hang out around Pinewood a few days? They are bound to need someone for something sooner or later and may bebprone to use that guy who is always around.
Ha! You can't just "hang out at Pinewood". I mean, I guess you could stand out on the street, but I can assure you that no one is going to come grab you.

Film is a "who you know" business. The way you get work is for someone to give your name to the person hiring or to meet someone.

Quote:
I will repeat what I've said before: I know a ton of people involved in video production in Atlanta. I know exactly zero people who have gotten work in the film business.
Odd. I know a ton of people who were stagehands, or any other various levels of production types. I know dozens who have gotten work in the film business, many of whom make nearly their entire living off of it.

Quote:
I was talking to a former person associated with Turner Studios the other day who told me they have lost precisely zero employees to the film business.
That's hardly shocking. First of all, Turner has shed nearly all of their production staff. They produce very little actual on-air stuff at Turner any more. Most of their stages sit dormant, unless something has changed in the past couple of years. I knew a bunch of guys who used to work there almost exclusively. Very few still do.

And those who still do are mostly full-time staff. If you've got a full-time production job (that you like) in a nice television studio, you'd be a moron to drop it to go pursue film work, which is obviously transient. You've got to want to do that. If I had a job at Turner, and it paid well enough and was fun enough, I wouldn't leave it, either.

Quote:
The only person I know who has said that film and TV people hire people she knows is a friend who works at SCAD. So there must be a market for artists, costume designers, etc.
Well, hate to burst your bubble, but hundreds of local people are working at Pinewood now. More will be working soon as another production is ramping up there. Up at OFS, at least three movies are filming, each with hundreds of locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: