U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,755 posts, read 3,392,069 times
Reputation: 2140
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is absurd. You can lose just as much money betting on horses as you can in a casino.
I wondered if some one was going to mention that. Although honestly, we rarely lose at the track compared to the casino. (Of course, hubby growing up in Lexington, KY and knowing how to handicap since he was five probably has more to do with that.. )

Something too, as just a bit of info that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The new Cherokee tribe casino in Murphy N.C. will be opening in a few months. Puts gambling a tad bit closer to ATL and will cut down the necessity to go all the way to Cherokee itself.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 AM
bu2
 
10,573 posts, read 6,908,487 times
Reputation: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is absurd. You can lose just as much money betting on horses as you can in a casino.


This was the part you got wrong on the economics. It does not necessarily follow that tourists would have spent elsewhere all the money they would have in the casino.


Or you know we could just stop with the nanny state government of banning recreational activities that could potentially be harmful for some people. It's pretty sad when Alabama is more open minded on an issue like this than we are.
I think the Creeks have all of Alabama's casinos. Alabama doesn't have a choice. Alabama also doesn't have the options that Atlanta does.

You obviously aren't reading what I wrote very carefully-Perhaps because you're too close minded to pay attention to differing opinions? Your first two paragraphs are a mis-characterization of what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM
bu2
 
10,573 posts, read 6,908,487 times
Reputation: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I wondered if some one was going to mention that. Although honestly, we rarely lose at the track compared to the casino. (Of course, hubby growing up in Lexington, KY and knowing how to handicap since he was five probably has more to do with that.. )

Something too, as just a bit of info that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The new Cherokee tribe casino in Murphy N.C. will be opening in a few months. Puts gambling a tad bit closer to ATL and will cut down the necessity to go all the way to Cherokee itself.....
As I said, its easier to lose money in the casino. The action goes much quicker. You don't have to plan out your bets. The odds are better in the casino (tracks pay back in the 80-85% range depending on the state), but it all happens a lot quicker. That also makes it more addictive as it gives the instant feedback and the availability of casinos is part of the reason horse tracks are declining. Since you've been to horse tracks (I also grew up in Lexington), you should understand what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Limbo
6,487 posts, read 6,349,747 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've been against every casino suggestion because I've seen second tier casinos. They are sad pathetic places where poor people blow their money and are just utter dumps.

However, I've always said that if MGM would come in and build a complete Vegas style casino, I'd be all for it. These are the guys who know how to make casinos work and they keep the trashy element out.

I'd be for this. But I'd also be for language that requires MGM to operate the casino. If they ever pull out, it can not be sold. It goes to the city and must be dismantled as a casino immediately.
This sounds fair. It just seems like so much can go wrong with a downtown casino, but a properly managed property might be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,755 posts, read 3,392,069 times
Reputation: 2140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
As I said, its easier to lose money in the casino. The action goes much quicker. You don't have to plan out your bets. The odds are better in the casino (tracks pay back in the 80-85% range depending on the state), but it all happens a lot quicker. That also makes it more addictive as it gives the instant feedback and the availability of casinos is part of the reason horse tracks are declining. Since you've been to horse tracks (I also grew up in Lexington), you should understand what I'm talking about.
I apologize if I didn't make my self clear. I agree with you!!! I miss going out to Keeneland and over to Churchill when we go up to visit family and would love to have it closer! Someplace else a lot easier to lose than the casino though...the dog track!

We'll get to see first hand just how addictive it becomes around here when Murphy opens up. I've got a couple of friends who are in dealer training right now and I'll be curious to hear from them how things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,199 posts, read 1,650,829 times
Reputation: 2169
I can't believe this conversation has gone on for 10 pages. No, Georgia doesn't need casinos, and only for one reason: there's not a single city in the country with legalized gambling that anyone else takes seriously as a real city where people actually want to live. They are tourist destinations, and ones most people call "sad" at some point during their stay. Atlantic City, Vegas, the Mississippi coast, whatever they may lure in in tourist dollars is offset by the sleazy, no-good-can-come-of-this vibe that they bring to your city.

And by the way, I grew up half an hour from one of Alabama's Creek casinos, and the idea that they've "transformed" the state in ANY way is a complete joke. The only thing they've transformed is how far retired couples have to drive to play a slot machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,587 posts, read 7,901,847 times
Reputation: 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I can't believe this conversation has gone on for 10 pages. No, Georgia doesn't need casinos, and only for one reason: there's not a single city in the country with legalized gambling that anyone else takes seriously as a real city where people actually want to live. They are tourist destinations, and ones most people call "sad" at some point during their stay. Atlantic City, Vegas, the Mississippi coast, whatever they may lure in in tourist dollars is offset by the sleazy, no-good-can-come-of-this vibe that they bring to your city.

And by the way, I grew up half an hour from one of Alabama's Creek casinos, and the idea that they've "transformed" the state in ANY way is a complete joke. The only thing they've transformed is how far retired couples have to drive to play a slot machine.
Well that isn't entirely correct.

Places like Atlantic City and the Mississippi Coast and Vegas grew as tourism destinations. They aren't taken serious as cities, by your standards, as they weren't much of a city to start off with. Their economies are mostly run by tourism/vacationing.

New Orleans is taken seriously as a city and has a nice casino downtown. The major things holding that city back for most in the past have little to do with the Casino and more to do with other drawbacks of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 AM
 
10,965 posts, read 7,898,439 times
Reputation: 3388
MGM Resorts Eyes Atlanta for $1B Casino Complex - Dept. of Divisive Proposals - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
...To move forward (assuming the proposal gets that far), they would need a constitutional amendment allowing casino gambling in Georgia, a 2/3 vote from legislators, and a vote from the people of Georgia. If it gets to that point, they will, no doubt, point to the tens of millions of dollars the project would provide for HOPE scholarships and the 3,500 permanent jobs it would create. Opponents will likely point out that casinos have a bad habit of reducing property values, increasing crime and wreaking havoc on local economies.
So: not going to happen, and for good reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,808,044 times
Reputation: 2060
Lottery tickets are ok but casinos are bad....GTFOH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
 
Location: North Atlanta
5,650 posts, read 4,035,150 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Lottery tickets are ok but casinos are bad....GTFOH
I agree. Since it's such a great idea, we should put the casino at the corner of North Ave and Glen Iris. Perfect location. I'm sure you'd be just fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top