Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,085,111 times

Advertisements

Nothing serious, but enrollment is down at Morehouse (125) and CAU (443), and a small dip at Spelman (12).

Morehouse College cuts spending after enrollment drops | www.ajc.com

Furloughs and cuts will be needed. What a big contrast between these schools that meet their financial issues head-on and Morris Brown which is in denial by running up vast debt and now is trying to avoid it by bankruptcy.

But a buyout of Morris Brown by the AUC doesn't seem likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Nothing serious, but enrollment is down at Morehouse (125) and CAU (443), and a small dip at Spelman (12).

Morehouse College cuts spending after enrollment drops | www.ajc.com

Furloughs and cuts will be needed. What a big contrast between these schools that meet their financial issues head-on and Morris Brown which is in denial by running up vast debt and now is trying to avoid it by bankruptcy.

But a buyout of Morris Brown by the AUC doesn't seem likely.
Wow. Hasn't somebody been saying this is for years on here to the disbelieving masses? Morehouse is in trouble. They are already scheduling furloughs for their employees. This just goes back to the point I've made multiple times on here: Who wants to spend $35,000 to go to mediocre school that caters to students with 1000 SAT scores? I get spending $35,000 to go to Yale or Stanford, but Morehouse... yeaaaaahhhhhhh

Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,795 times
Morehouse is not in trouble. They have a solid rating from Moody's.

It is also not mediocre. Its one of the top feeder schools for Ivy League Grad Schools.

I went to both Morehouse and GA Tech. At Morehouse I was taught by Professors who knew me, my major, where I was from, etc. Average class size was about 15. The professors still know me.

At Tech I was taught by Grad Student TA's in a class with 300 people. I have no idea who my professors were. Just sayin.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poblack View Post
Morehouse is not in trouble. They have a solid rating from Moody's.

It is also not mediocre. Its one of the top feeder schools for Ivy League Grad Schools.

I went to both Morehouse and GA Tech. At Morehouse I was taught by Professors who knew me, my major, where I was from, etc. Average class size was about 15. The professors still know me.

At Tech I was taught by Grad Student TA's in a class with 300 people. I have no idea who my professors were. Just sayin.
Blah blah blah.

GT isn't having trouble filling their enrollment and isn't charging mediocre students $35,000 a year in tuition. If you want to make this into a comparison thread, we can, but I don't think you really want to go that route.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 14,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Blah blah blah.

GT isn't having trouble filling their enrollment and isn't charging mediocre students $35,000 a year in tuition. If you want to make this into a comparison thread, we can, but I don't think you really want to go that route.
You can't compare a university with 20k students to a college with 3k. I'm stating reasons why people choose Morehouse.

GT doesn't have trouble filling enrollment as long as their are foreigners eager to get their degree then move back to their home country to compete with us. Or as long as their Hope recipients who get Beemers from their parents since they don't have to pay any tuition.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poblack View Post
GT doesn't have trouble filling enrollment as long as their are foreigners eager to get their degree then move back to their home country to compete with us. Or as long as their Hope recipients who get Beemers from their parents since they don't have to pay any tuition.
Yes... all of those kids at GT are evil rich people. Grrrrr... Those bad, bad 1%ers.

Back to the thread, why would you choose to pay $35,000 a year to go to Morehouse, when Georgia State is a better school for 1/4 of the price?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,815,667 times
Quote:
Yes... all of those kids at GT are evil rich people. Grrrrr... Those bad, bad 1%ers.

Back to the thread, why would you choose to pay $35,000 a year to go to Morehouse, when Georgia State is a better school for 1/4 of the price?
What makes it "better"?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
I don't think there's really any way to win an argument saying that Morehouse is competitive with Georgia Tech. I mean, I've said before that in today's world, I don't understand why anybody would purposely want to put themselves in a situation that so inaccurately reflects the demographic diversity of the real world. Apparently some people do, and that's fine, but you can't say that the shool is better than it actually is.

Anyway, if the school is having so much trouble meeting enrollment, can't they just lower their admission standards? I mean, if you're already letting in people who only score 1000 on their SATs, does it really matter if you start letting the 900 crowd in too?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What makes it "better"?
Return on investment.

Average starting pay Morehouse: $44,200
Average starting pay Georgia State: $41,200

Average mid career pay Morehouse: $70,800
Average mid career pay Georgia State: $73,200

College ROI Rankings:
Morehouse: #531
Georgia State: #855

I went to college to gain a skill set that would allow me to start out on a path to have a successful career. If I were to pay $70,000+ more for college at Morehouse, I certainly would hope that would translate to significantly higher earnings both early and later in life. If you place more value on your professor knowing your hometown and the myth that has become the 'Morehouse Man,' then you do on the actual utility and tangible benefits of going to college, then you might think Morehouse could compete with Georgia State. However, from the tangibles, Morehouse gets crushed.

PS: At least Morehouse is better than Clark Atlanta which is 1222 and has a -5.6 rate of return. Ouch.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,085,111 times
Quote:
Return on investment.

College ROI Rankings:
Morehouse: #531
Georgia State: #855
You got those two backwards.

College Education Value Rankings - PayScale 2012 College ROI Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta