U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 PM

28,312 posts, read 24,952,760 times

Advertisements

Bobby Jones Golf course is a profit generator for the city. Not a "tax sink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Arjay, what are you even on about?

Here's how this works: The developer wants the downtown deck. The city wants to offload a few tax sinks, one of which is UA, the other is the Golf Course. The state wants a practice course for their colleges.

The city and the state exchange the properties, with the developer paying the difference in value to the city. The city now doesn't have to pay to maintain the course. The state is going to invest a few million into updating and expanding the facilities on the course so that it can be used for the state's schools' athletic programs.

The city includes the parking deck in the sale to the developer since the city still wants to off load the tax-sinking Underground Atlanta properties, and doesn't care about owning the deck. The developer pays for the properties.

The city now is much lighter in its tax sinks, the golf course gets investments, and previously public costly properties are redeveloped into a vibrant tax, resident, and business generating area of the city.

Everyone wins, everyone gets what they want. The only people who maybe loose are those who liked the 18 holes of the course, and don't care about a driving range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM

10,015 posts, read 7,013,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bobby Jones Golf course is a profit generator for the city. Not a "tax sink."
Any details to support that?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 10,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Even the Mayor conceded that the city does not have the resources to bring the course to its' full potential.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
See http://candlerpark.org/files/GolfCon...ort[1].pdf

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM

4,024 posts, read 4,618,514 times
The trade off of the Bobby Jones golf course to the state is a different issue than maintaining the integrity and history of the course as it was built. I generally think the trade off was a good deal for everyone involved, but now that the trade is a done deal, if you're opposed to the re-development proposal by the state, that should be discussed as an issue in and of itself.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
The trade off of the Bobby Jones golf course to the state is a different issue than maintaining the integrity and history of the course as it was built. I generally think the trade off was a good deal for everyone involved, but now that the trade is a done deal, if you're opposed to the re-development proposal by the state, that should be discussed as an issue in and of itself.
I agree that they are not exactly the same issue.

However, the historic nature and location of the land does have a bearing on its value.

Personally I think the golf course could stand some updating.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Good info.

I think it is still a smart exchange, getting Underground Atlanta redeveloped and back on the tax rolls will have more net benefit to the CoA. And I am sure the state will still be good stewards of the course.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Good info.

I think it is still a smart exchange, getting Underground Atlanta redeveloped and back on the tax rolls will have more net benefit to the CoA. And I am sure the state will still be good stewards of the course.
I just don't understand the exchange.

The city isn't getting much bang for its buck, however the state may be a better steward of the land anyway.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 PM

5,028 posts, read 3,533,268 times
Quote:

The city isn't getting much bang for its buck, however the state may be a better steward of the land anyway.
What should the city have done? Put the course on the open market and have a developer tear it up?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Well, if you try to value it based off that $235,833 annual cash flow shown and assume a 10% capitalization rate, that gets you $2.35M value for the property. But for the purposes of this trade it is getting valued at $12.7M. I'd say that is more than fair to the city. The parking garage downtown is probably able to generate a lot more cash flow than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or