Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times

Advertisements

Check the schedules for the various Festivals around the Metro on access Atlanta & Creative Loafing. We have some great ones, and it's a good way to get acquainted with different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Too late now, but this morning was the Peachtree Road Race with 60,000 people running/walking it.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 PM

83 posts, read 249,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Too late now, but this morning was the Peachtree Road Race with 60,000 people running/walking it.
I live around Midtown and was actually observing parts of the race from my apartment. What an event - the rain did not dampen the Atlanta spirits one bit!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Piedmont park on Sunday. Is good for people watching and just to relax lots of local.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Clermont Lounge - After 10pm
Krog Street Market and walking the Beltline (Eastside trail)
Brookhaven Bbq Fest
Walk up Stone Mountain or Kennesaw Mountain
Bike the Silver Comet Trail
Etc

what kind of crowd at the Clermont Lounge?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Piedmont park on Sunday. Is good for people watching and just to relax lots of local.
Its going to be real muddy tomorrow with the rain and all those runners tromping through.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Default Some stuff I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
After months of anticipation, my wife and I finally made our way down to Atlanta. But now that we are here, we have no idea what to do. We know about the popular destinations like Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola and so on, but what are some of the nice non-touristy things to do? We are partial to anything.

I go to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens a couple of times a month. It's a mixture of outdoors displays and indoors things such as an orchid house and some other environments from desert to rain forest.
Atlanta Botanical Garden
If you're around in the evening, check out the lights in the garden
I also have had a couple of tasty meals there at the cafe at Linton's
The Café at Linton's in the Garden | Atlanta Botanical Garden

Someone mentioned Fernbank museum. I also go there every month or so.
There are two Fernbank museums. You want the one on Clifton road. Fernbank Museum of Natural History - Atlanta, GA
It is worth seeing just for their display of an Argentinosaurus and Giganotosaurus skeletons, that is, if you've ever been interested in dinosaurs. You can get a glimpse without paying by walking directly up to the ticket-takers, then decide. Some of their displays are kind of tired-looking, probably due to the thousands of school children that pass through.

We also have a pluton in the area, a rather large one.
Stone Mountain Park - Atlanta's Walk-Up Mountain Hiking Trail
My favorite part is the walk-up trail, but if you're not used to the heat here, do the walk first thing in the morning. However, if you are coming from a mountainous area, you might not be impressed.

Our art museum is no NYC Met, but it has many good items.
European Art Collection
and
American Art Collection

Plus there's always a couple of temporary exhibitions varying (in the past) from items from The Louvre to Salvidor Dali, to classic automobiles.

A little known gem in Atlanta is the Michael C Carlos museum at Emory University.
Emory | Michael C. Carlos Museum
They were in the news a few years ago for having found the mummy of Ramesses I and returning it to Egypt.
My favorite display there, though, is the pre-columbian American artifacts section.
You have only until July 26 to catch this one:
Two of Each: The Nippur Deluge Tablet and Noah's Flood | Emory | Michael C. Carlos Museum

When you get a chance, drive up to Cartersville and see the Booth museum of Western Art.
Booth Western Art MuseumHome - Booth Western Art Museum
I eat at the Ross's diner nearby for a 1950/60's diner flashback.
Sometimes they're cash-only, sometimes they're crowded. They're like 100 yds from the Booth.

Ross's Diner, Cartersville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Or, if you like rocks, also near Cartersville is this:
What to See - Tellus Museum in Cartersville, GeorgiaTellus Museum in Cartersville, Georgia

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Old young tourists locals hipsters professionals college students etc

Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Hipsters.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Dear God. Avoid the Clermont Lounge unless you are weirdly perverse and are up to date on your innoculations. Sicko place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta