Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:21 PM

240 posts, read 344,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
My parents grew up in Upland, but raised us outside of San Fran. Atlanta has a TON to do. We also live in Suwanee. It's very family-friendly.

What I don't like: very cookie-cutter houses. I love houses that are charming in one way or another. There are some houses like that in Suwanee, but they're few and far between.

We actually rent and the guy who own our house bought in Flowery Branch. He works in the Suwanee area and commutes home.

Can you visit before you move?

You're lucky to be leaving an area your sick of. We moved out of Richmond, VA and I'm super homesick!

Alley
Wow our first house was in Ontario and my two oldest were born in Upland. Just from judging from my one visit to Suwanee I thought it was family friendly but unsure of housing costs. We most likely will rent first if he gets the job, he just put in for it today . I hope it comes through because I have wanted to leave SC for the past 6 years . We will definitely visit before we move since it's only a 3hr drive for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
For the best commute, stick to north Lawrenceville in the Collins Hill HS or Mountain View HS clusters. Avoid Central Gwinnett HS.
What about Archer HS? Is it not in Lawrenceville? It has good scores according to greatschools. My husband just put in for the job today so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Wow our first house was in Ontario and my two oldest were born in Upland. Just from judging from my one visit to Suwanee I thought it was family friendly but unsure of housing costs. We most likely will rent first if he gets the job, he just put in for it today . I hope it comes through because I have wanted to leave SC for the past 6 years . We will definitely visit before we move since it's only a 3hr drive for us.
Small world! My darling grandparents lived forever in Ontario -- on "F" Street when it was still sweet and friendly. Last I saw of their area it didn't look so hot, but my grandma passed well over a decade ago.

I miss her so much. We have to meet when you get here!

Alley

Old 07-10-2015, 06:31 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
What about Archer HS? Is it not in Lawrenceville? It has good scores according to greatschools. My husband just put in for the job today so we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Well, sorta. It's not in Lawrenceville, it's just a zip code thing. Lville has several zip codes. I'm at the southern end of one (30044). To get up to some other Lville addresses, it can take 20+ minutes.

The Archer cluster is up and coming. Archer HS is only 5 years old or so. It's a nice area but the most exurban in all of Gwinnett. I don't think any commercial development even exists inside school boundaries. It's primarily forest, scatted subdivisions and a little farmland on Gwinnett's edge. Most shopping is along GA 20 stretching from Lville to Grayson and Loganville, at a few intersections with GA 316, and in the actual city of Lville. It's a nice area and I expect home prices to rise.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Well, sorta. It's not in Lawrenceville, it's just a zip code thing. Lville has several zip codes. I'm at the southern end of one (30044). To get up to some other Lville addresses, it can take 20+ minutes.

The Archer cluster is up and coming. Archer HS is only 5 years old or so. It's a nice area but the most exurban in all of Gwinnett. I don't think any commercial development even exists inside school boundaries. It's primarily forest, scatted subdivisions and a little farmland on Gwinnett's edge. Most shopping is along GA 20 stretching from Lville to Grayson and Loganville, at a few intersections with GA 316, and in the actual city of Lville. It's a nice area and I expect home prices to rise.
Ok that helps some. Now since my older two play baseball my husband is also looking at baseball and saw that I think it's Patriot high school in Loganville won the state championship . So how is Loganville? Is it a good place, family friendly place to live? It shows a 30 min commute to Flowery Brance but I know that may not be accurate.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Loganville on the Gwinnett side is nice, part is zoned to Grayson HS (very good school), part is zoned to South Gwinnett HS (not so good).

Loganville on the Walton side? Well, I really don't know much about it. I think it's the best high school in Walton county but I really don't know. I wouldn't sacrifice academics for baseball. Especially when you can select Parkview in Gwinnett. Per wikipedia- "The Parkview Baseball Team won the State Championship in 1996, 2001, 2002, 2011, 2012, and 2015."

Brookwood HS is probably the best in Gwinnett academically, baseball is generally good. Won state championship in 2008 I think.

Depending on where in Parkview and Brookwood zones, Flowery Branch would be around a half hour and the entire freeway portion would be against traffic, not with it. Still, I would just stick to northern Gwinnett

Old 07-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Loganville on the Gwinnett side is nice, part is zoned to Grayson HS (very good school), part is zoned to South Gwinnett HS (not so good).

Loganville on the Walton side? Well, I really don't know much about it. I think it's the best high school in Walton county but I really don't know. I wouldn't sacrifice academics for baseball. Especially when you can select Parkview in Gwinnett. Per wikipedia- "The Parkview Baseball Team won the State Championship in 1996, 2001, 2002, 2011, 2012, and 2015."

Brookwood HS is probably the best in Gwinnett academically, baseball is generally good. Won state championship in 2008 I think.

Depending on where in Parkview and Brookwood zones, Flowery Branch would be around a half hour and the entire freeway portion would be against traffic, not with it. Still, I would just stick to northern Gwinnett
Parkview is the high school I was thinking about. From what I saw it's a great school academically also so is that correct. I am definitely the academics person. I want to have both good academics and baseball . I guess you answered me in wanting to know if it really is a good school. Is the area that feeds into Parkview a good place to live and if so is it family friendly with shopping and other amenities nearby? Also if anyone knows where the Wrigley plant in Flowery Branch is will it be a reasonable commute for my hubby? We will want something that will be reasonable for him commute wise but also a great community to live since this will be our last move and where our kids will grow up. Since you say northern Gwinnett what cities would that be and what high school cluster?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Well, if you're willing to consider Parkview, then I really have to recommend the Brookwood HS cluster. Mainly because I'm a bit biased. I'm a graduate (as is my sister), I've grown up here since 98 when I started 1st grade at Craig ES and for now I still live in the area. I know the past few years Brookwood has consistently ranked at the top of Gwinnett schools. Only the selective Gwinnett school for mathematics science and technology. Not that Parkview isn't a strong school, it's still great. But Brookwood is just a touch better and will remain that way for many years to come. It's also closer to the plentiful shopping options along Scenic Hwy. The Parkview cluster is a little more removed. The 3 main roads for Parkview are Lawrenceville HWY (US 29) on the northern edge, US 78 on the southern edge, and Five Forks Trickum RD through the middle. 29 and 78 can be a little on the sketchy side at times, nothing terrible, just could be better. Five Forks is overall very safe though and I would look for a house near there. There is a sewage treatment plant somewhere over there, I think it's off Tom Smith Rd.

No matter if you choose Parkview or Brookwood, the only trafficky part of the commute will be getting to 85. Could be Killian Hill/Indian Trail, Beaver Ruin (which I deal with), Pleasant Hill Road, and if in the northern part of Brookwood, Sugarloaf Pkwy. I don't think any one way is better than the other, but Sugarloaf in the afternoon has been really bad recently.

As for northern Gwinnett, the parts I recommend are: Suwanee, parts of Lawrenceville, Dacula, Buford, and parts of Duluth. Schools to pick (in a loose best to not quite as good but still good order): Peachtree Ridge (Duluth, block schedule), North Gwinnett, Mill Creek (I think it's actually Braselton/Hoschton), Buford (not part of Gwinnett County schools, smaller class sizes), Dacula, Collins Hill, Lanier and Mountain View.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well, if you're willing to consider Parkview, then I really have to recommend the Brookwood HS cluster. Mainly because I'm a bit biased. I'm a graduate (as is my sister), I've grown up here since 98 when I started 1st grade at Craig ES and for now I still live in the area. I know the past few years Brookwood has consistently ranked at the top of Gwinnett schools. Only the selective Gwinnett school for mathematics science and technology. Not that Parkview isn't a strong school, it's still great. But Brookwood is just a touch better and will remain that way for many years to come. It's also closer to the plentiful shopping options along Scenic Hwy. The Parkview cluster is a little more removed. The 3 main roads for Parkview are Lawrenceville HWY (US 29) on the northern edge, US 78 on the southern edge, and Five Forks Trickum RD through the middle. 29 and 78 can be a little on the sketchy side at times, nothing terrible, just could be better. Five Forks is overall very safe though and I would look for a house near there. There is a sewage treatment plant somewhere over there, I think it's off Tom Smith Rd.

No matter if you choose Parkview or Brookwood, the only trafficky part of the commute will be getting to 85. Could be Killian Hill/Indian Trail, Beaver Ruin (which I deal with), Pleasant Hill Road, and if in the northern part of Brookwood, Sugarloaf Pkwy. I don't think any one way is better than the other, but Sugarloaf in the afternoon has been really bad recently.

As for northern Gwinnett, the parts I recommend are: Suwanee, parts of Lawrenceville, Dacula, Buford, and parts of Duluth. Schools to pick (in a loose best to not quite as good but still good order): Peachtree Ridge (Duluth, block schedule), North Gwinnett, Mill Creek (I think it's actually Braselton/Hoschton), Buford (not part of Gwinnett County schools, smaller class sizes), Dacula, Collins Hill, Lanier and Mountain View.
Thank you for all of your information. It's really been helpful. I see that if my hubby gets the job we have good choices as to which high school cluster we will choose. Coming from SC that's definitely a PLUS. Can you tell I'm so ready to leave here.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Small world! My darling grandparents lived forever in Ontario -- on "F" Street when it was still sweet and friendly. Last I saw of their area it didn't look so hot, but my grandma passed well over a decade ago.

I miss her so much. We have to meet when you get here!

Alley
We definitely need to if we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta