Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

im a college student from San Dieo now living just outside Los Angeles and im looking to move to Atlanta area to go to Georgia State. have famiy there and have visited and liked what i saw. I understand there is a crime problem but being from the city my whole life i wonder what its like to some one else in their 20's from a major city. I'm also wondering if anyone knows of anything to rent near or in atlanta ( 1br orstudio for less than 550 mo?) i pay 550 in california to share a 2 br with two other people also, how easy is it to get a used car that works? (prices?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Look in craigslist - you can probably find a one bedroom in a house that's been chopped into apartments for that price.

Here's one: MLK Historic District (broken link)

atlanta craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "little five points"=

atlanta craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "midtown"=

I always buy used cars but I buy from dealers - usually around 11K. What's your budget?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Welcome to GA! You can find a place to rent in that price range and in a decent area on Craigslist. However you will probably have to end up getting a roomate or renting a basement or large living section of a shared home in a nice area like Inman Park/VA HI/Candler Park/Cabbagetown/Old 4th Ward/Midtown/places near Downtown Decatur/Little Five Points. Also keep in mind that alot of the privately owned houses in nice neighborhoods do not advertise so If you can visit and actually speak with the owners and scope out housing options, you would definately benefit.

You should be able to get a used car for under $3,000 try the local listings (AutoTrader, Craigslist). If your going to attend GA State University you should definately live close to the Marta (Rapid Rail-Public Transporation System) so you can catch the train via walking or bike to class and you wouldn't be so dependent on having a car & you can save money on gas!

What part of the Southland do you currently reside in? I moved from California back in 98 to attend college here and went back to California for grad school then moved back here. It's nice here & alot of oppurtunity for go getters with all the new development happening in the city neighborhoods. It's different from California but that's not a bad thing.You just have to know where to live & hang out at and I'm sure their is a scene or neighborhood perfect for you and all new comers.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-23-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
I would ditch the car, move close to MARTA, and get a scooter. Scooters are getting to be VERY popular in the city. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not all that dangerous. Scooter riders find easy streets to scoot down.

I have a scooter...but she's broke right now...

Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
710 Peachtree is an apartment building right on Peachtree Street in Midtown. Studios (with specials) run around $650 a month but that includes most of your utilities. You would be about a block away from a MARTA rapid rail (subway) station, and within walking distance of a couple of markets, and a good number of restaurants.

This is one of those "love it or hate it" kind of apartment buildings. The ratings on apartmentratings.com aren't that hot, but others say it's not nearly that bad. Worth a look for a newcomer to get your feet wet. You can always sign a short lease and take your time to find a better place if you aren't happy with it.

Links for it:

View 710 Peachtree Apartments For Rent in Atlanta, Georgia - ForRent.com

710 Peachtree, Atlanta, GA rental property - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Georgia/Atlanta/Apartments_for_rent/752d595b1b4d4d69e8aabecb22f62d14 - broken link)

Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I'm from metro Hartford and I don't consider crime that bad in metro ATL. It's all about being smart and staying out of the bad areas and not inviting car thefts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: